Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

Hello all,

So I have been reading my teddy bear book which attempts to show how one can make a teddy bear, with considerations to his proportions, fur-type (whether it's plush or mohair).  I'm enjoying it actually, gives me plenty of ideas for the future.  But one thing it glosses over (and understandably so) is how one develops their own ideas and designs for the types of bears one wishes to make.

So my question is:  how do any of your bear makers come up with your own style of bear?

I'm forever amazed when I got to teddy bear fairs, hugglets, etc., and all the wonderful teddy bear makers all of whom have their own design.  In the past when I've asked random souls about this, some of them don't really know -- as though it were instinctive.  Gosh, how lucky you are.  :)

So I am curious.  What about prototypes for bears -- did any of you find way back when you started doing this, you had some malformed teddy bears on your hands?  :)

-- Thomas Adam

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland
ThomasAdam wrote:

Hello all,

So I am curious.  What about prototypes for bears -- did any of you find way back when you started doing this, you had some malformed teddy bears on your hands?  :)

-- Thomas Adam

Still do.   :crackup:

I think what happens is that people try new things on exiting patterns.  (whether their own or others)

What happens if I make the nose larger, feet bigger, neck longer?  Sometimes it works sometimes you look at the result and don't like it and try something different next time.

We all have creations that end up in the cupboard or bin.

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
Cleathero Creations wrote:
ThomasAdam wrote:

Hello all,

-- Thomas Adam

Still do.   :crackup:

I think what happens is that people try new things on exiting patterns.  (whether their own or others)

Well that makes sense of course -- is that how you started out then?  Took an existing pattern you liked, and thought that you could improve XYZ with it?  That's probably a sane way to go -- some teddy bear artists I've seen have a sort of trademark about their bears which defines their characteristic -- so for some, it's having a certain shape ear, or a nose, or the use of a specific material for their eyes, etc.

What happens if I make the nose larger, feet bigger, neck longer?  Sometimes it works sometimes you look at the result and don't like it and try something different next time.

Hehehe -- I can just imagine the look of horror on some people's faces if the end result is not as expected.  :)

We all have creations that end up in the cupboard or bin.

:(  That's dreadful!  There could be a whole new market for near-teddy bear creations, methinks.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

I started out with a sketch of a very simple teddy bear.  He turned out more like a long legged beaver LOL
It would be easier for you to start out with an existing pattern in the begining.
trace the pieces onto another sheet then experiment, make the thigh fatter, longer or bent.  Make the foot pads peanut or pear shapped. you get the idea ;)
make the gusset shorter and wider. things like that should come to you naturally the longer you work with any kind of doll making including teddy bears of course bear_original

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

an artist develops a certain look over time.
This is generally because they like a certain thing about their creations and it carries over.
Oddly enough bears that I have dislked have found the homes the fastest.
So a certain shape to the head, the way the eyes are set and face is clipped ends up being their "look"

I am trying to create more realistic dogs and cats so my stlye doesn't show up too much really.  My distnctive feature on my bears is heir bent noses LOL.

When I was first learning bears yes  took existing patterns and changed them but as I learnt I used my own patterns.

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

Oddly enough bears that I have dislked have found the homes the fastest.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  :)

So a certain shape to the head, the way the eyes are set and face is clipped ends up being their "look"

Yes - MerryThought did this with their Cheeky Bears --- which I dislike, but are popular with the Japanese, apparently.  No surprise there -- those bears look like something out of anime at times.  :)

I am trying to create more realistic dogs and cats so my stlye doesn't show up too much really.  My distnctive feature on my bears is heir bent noses LOL.

Hehehe -- I am sure that will iron itself out over time.  :)

When I was first learning bears yes  took existing patterns and changed them but as I learnt I used my own patterns.

Yes -- you have an imagination.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I started by making lots of bears from patterns, I also bought a large number (they're not cheap!!) of Japanese pattern books which have a load of bear styles and sizes in them - I still buy large amounts of patterns or copies of Australian Bear Creations off eBay when I can.

That way, I can look at the pattern, look at the photo of the bear and work out how the shape of the pattern influences that part of the bear.  bear_grin  The more you can look at, the more it helps. I also look at the bears in the gallery here and think, What do I like about this bear? What do I not like about that bear? and slowly I am learning what I like in a bear - so far? big feet (but not huge) turned down paws, fringes and constrast muzzles.

By Avatar bear, Harley is the first that I hated when I designed up, but once I finished and added his fringe, I fell in love with him - He was actually a step toward what I want to achieve  bear_grin  Through experiementing I have found that I love the way synthetic bears look, with mad fur - but I hate making them  :crackup:  I find Mohair much more stable and less bulky.

When it came to my first pattern, I never altered anyone else's, I just drew it and it turned out pretty sweet. I learned to make limbs fatter and their are things I don't like about my finishing, but i'm slowly getting there.

I sold Harvey and he went to a very good Mum, although part of me whishes I had kept him.

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I, like almost everyone else, started out buying patterns and making bears from them.  I also bought alot of books on bear making.  Over the years, I learned how to make my own patterns and the style that I like.  I still buy patterns and every so often make a bear from some one elses pattern just to see how it turns out.  The funny part is I always want to alter the pattern to my style  bear_rolleyes   I can now, after 30 years of making bears, sit down with a pad and pencil and design the pattern without any problems.  I like traditional bears and also like to work with the longer fun furs.  I have always worked in synthetic furs and enjoy the variety of them that are available.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Thomas
You might want to consider taking an online course at EBearz University, Nancy has a course on designing teddy bears- www.kranbearys.com
Good Luck
Gail

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Hi Thomas

I'm still learning and finding my way.  Most Teddy Bear artists are pretty good about sharing tips and tricks.  Infact a lot you find will even allow you to use some of their patterns to sell if you let them know ahead of time that this is what you want to do.  Most people know what it is like to struggle to figure out how to make your own bear work.  Even if you are using a pattern designed by someone else try to do something to make it your own. A really simple way to start is with the ears.  Make them larger or smaller, change the placement.  That is the best thing about collectiable teddy bears there are no rules.

I was lucky,  I've had a lot of very helpful teddybear artists willing to share ideas and encouragement.  I find one way to come up with something of your own is even to take bits and pieces of other patterns and mix and match them. You may like the head of one bear the feet of another and the body and arms of  a third.  Who says that you can't just make jumbled up bear with the pieces you like best from a lot of different bears.  You'll find you do this often enough and you'll come up with your own style.  And it is a good start on making your own patterns, odds are you are going to have to resize the mismatched pattern pieces in order to make them work. I've found taping a paper sample together is a lot faster than sewing one together and will at least give you an idea if you like the shape of the bear.

And if you use a kit pattern, don't follow the pattern exactly, go crazy be adventurous, it doesn't have to look like the sample picture, make it your own.

Board footer