Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

How do you get the mouth to hold its shape in the lower jaw?  Especially if you are not using teeth implants.

I haven't found anything in the library addressing this subject.  All the open mouthed bears I see have such perfectly shaped lower jaws, they must have something other then stuffing in such a thin space achieving that silhouette.

Thanks.

Pat

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Mine are just stuffed ...

PrimroseTeddyTalk.jpg

Sparkleheadlarge.jpg

Jollyhead.jpg

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Oh Paula...how do you get the thread on your noses so perfect?  I try so hard...very slowly, one by one, and still they slip off the curves and leave little separations.  I put two layers on but still I have slips.  I was thinking about trying one layer in one direction and the other in the opposite?  Sorry to interrupt this thread but your noses look so perfect!

I was wondering about that lower jaw too...they don't look so stuffed!

Kent
Website

Lol!  Well, first I'd have to say through years of practice Lenora!

I posted a tutorial on my blog to show how I stitch my noses ... I hope it's helpful!

http://allbear.blogspot.com/2007/03/ahead-by-nose.html

Missouri
Website

Your bear nose was great!  I did add a template this time so perhaps that was causing the slipping.  I had never added one before...
I love your bears!

Kent
Website

Glad you found it helpful Lenora!  Good luck with the nose stitching!

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Pat,
I just stuff my lower jaws like Paula.  I've heard of putting in a thin piece of cardboard before you stuff but have never found the need to do it. 

Hugs,
Alison

Missouri
Website

How about a stiff pelon lining before stuffing???

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

You might want to check out Monica Spicer's tutorial on the open mouth.  Just google her name and it should come up.  When I do an open mouth, I like to do the add on kind.  I feel I can get better results.  Check the library on here, at least a year ago we were discussing making a mouth that would open and close.  I know during that discussion there was wire mentioned.  I don't know if there are any detailed instructions for it.
Donna

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Donna,

All mine so far have been add-ons.  Primarily because I built bears and decided "hey, wouldn't they look great with mouths!"  So I had to add them on.   bear_wacko

I just thought it would hold its shape better if it had a substantial form in it.  I thought of putting wire in it but wondered if there was a standard...why go reinventing the wheel...you know.  With the add on mouth, I guess it is more of an issue. I am using a stiff stuffing (bamboo) and heavy felt for the interior of the mouth, but I am not satisfied with the stability of the jaw.

I am currently redesigning my prototype with an open mouth built into the head and I thought I would utilize the type with what I am calling a second gussett, i.e. one for the lower jaw, rather than the slash method and insert.  Jane Perala's pattern introduced it here in the library (January 9, 2007) and I thought it was really elegant,  although it looks like it could be a wee bit tricky to sew.  I am hopeful that these type of jaws are more stable, then the add on, both in holding the curved shape of the mouth and in their side to side form.

Unfortunately, I have to report as of January 23rd, Monica's web site no longer has her tutorials available on line...she has exceeded her band width...we will miss them.

Pat

teeeej Brisbane

Pat, Monica will send you the pdf versions of the tutorials if you email her (she just updated her site again).

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Thanx, I will request that.  Noticed she has an adorable free pattern too!  You can download from her site.  Love her work.  Exudes charm.  She is the queen of eyelashes!

Pat

Burbank, CA

Pat,
The open mouth that works best for me has the neck-chin gusset.  The muzzle is not as deep as other bears.  Then the mouth piece is like a two hump camel that is sewn together with the inside mouth out of ultrasuede.  This gives it more area to attach to the chin area.  Then it is stuffed very firm.  Then there are sculpting stitches that help keep it firmly in place.  I found this worked better for me than the ear shape mouth.  I'll see if I can find the lower jaw and scan it and put it up here for you.
Donna

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Pat, if you like I can send you a couple of pdfs with two different ways of putting in an open mouth, showing the neccessary adjustsments needed to the pattern. They were published in Australian Bear Creations.

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Donna, is your method similar to this one:  http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php … 90#p181190
I am struggling with trying to interpret it into my design...I think the secret is to design the side pieces and the neck gusset and sew those together and then extrapolate the mouth piece.  Sew that in.  Finally sew the head gusset in last.  The order makes sense to me.

Am I correct, you extrapolate that mouth piece rather than try to predesign in? 

Linda, I would be honored to accept pdf files that would add to my knowledge on this topic.  The more I can learn, the better my chances of a positive outcome. 

After all, a bear's smile is very important.   bear_original

Thank you gals for helping me.  I had no idea when I started trying to build a "teddy bear" that they were so incredably complicated.  That it would require so many different skill sets to master or so many different design problems to solve.  I don't know how any of you ever did it before this forum existed.

Pat

Burbank, CA

Pat,
Let me find my pattern.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  But till then, I sew the chin gusset in first to the two side heads.  Then I sew the normal top head gusset in.  My chin gusset ends before the end of the two side heads so where the nose would be on the gusset there is just the regular two side head pieces.  After my head is all sewn and stuffed and eyes and nose on it, I add on the open mouth.  I first sew the mouth across the top where the pink ultrasuede is then I sew from one side of the mouth down towards the neck and up the other side to the other edge of the mouth.  I then do some scuplting of the inside (pink ultrasuede) to give it an indention.  I may do some sculpting of the upper mouth.  Then I check to see that the rest of the mouth looks good and is secure.
I'll be back with the pattern pieces.
Donna

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Donna, so you are not sewing up all the gussets, side pieces AND inserting the mouth, turning and stuffing.  Then sculpting the mouth. 

I always praise the bear gods when my muzzle isn't wonky.  I was sweating bullets on this one! bear_wacko

Pat

Burbank, CA

Pat,
That is correct.  There are four head pieces.  Two head sides, one top gusset and one chin gusset.  The mouth is a totally separate piece that is sewn on by hand after the head is finished.  I am searching for my pattern.  I had a friend that was wanting to know how I did it and I am hoping that I did not give it to her.
Donna

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Give me your email address and I'll send on those pdfs, Pat.  bear_original

bearlady13 Posts: 177

Paula your bears are wonderful the mouth and nose look so good.  Does anyone know if this will work on tiny teddies under 5"? I would love to try it.

I just looked at Monica Spicer open mouth On the web and it is great. She has done a good job on it and great pictures on each step thank you and thank Monica for putting it on the web. I am Anxious to try it on my tiny bears. :hug:

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Is this anything like how the zotty bears have open mouths?  I can't tell how they did it, but his bottom lip is pretty hard like maybe there could be wire in there.  Of course his head is major league hard like probably it's stuffed with woodwool.

a-Bear-with-open-mouth-2.jpga-Bear-with-open-mouth-1.jpgThis is my first attempt of a bear with open mouth. I need a lot of practice yet. I love this little guy anyway. I used the stretch velvet on this guy and it does require getting use to.

Board footer