Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Well, paypal has suspended my account due to selling the raffle tickets for the big bear raffle.  I am waiting on a letter from NTAF to resolve this problem.  Warning:   NEVER DO ANYTHING FOR A CHARITY THROUGH PAYPAL!!!  Even, if you have the proper documentation, it will be a nightmare.  I hope to have my account back up and running by the weeks end since I have some eBay auctions running. 

On an up note, all of the tickets were purchased and the drawing will be held this Saturday.   bear_original So, we raised the $2500 we intended to for Tiffany Tate's lung transplant in short order.  I got all of the money out of paypal before they officially suspended my account.   bear_thumb

Hugs,
Alison

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Why oh why is it always so difficult to do something good !  I know paypal has  to be cautious , but the few bad apples always ruin it for everyone else who is honest.  Drives me absolutely crazy sometimes.   Congrats on the raffle and glad to hear you got the funds out in time Alison.  I hope they re-open your account soon.  How discouraging for you.

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Oh Alison,
I'm so glad you got the money out prior to them suspending your account!   I sent you an email asking you about it before coming to TT!
That's great news!
Hugs,
Janice

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh crap I totally forgot about that or I would have mentioned something to you!  bear_wacko I helped a friend last summer by setting up a website for her for a charity raffle too. 

She was just setting up her Paypal account for the first time for this and ran into the same problem.  She was able to talk to someone at Paypal and worked it out so that the wording on the site said nothing about "raffle, tickets or chances". 

Of course, then it made it difficult to understand what exactly was going on... :doh:   

I do understand Paypal's reasonings... they are trying to protect people from very unscrupulous people who would set up a "raffle" and collect all the $ w/o ever giving out the prize...sigh.  Unfortunately people like that outnumber those who are honest :(

SO glad you got the $ out before it was suspended!

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Hooray, paypal fully restored my account.   That was quick, suspended me for less than 24 hours.  Please heed my warning about selling raffle tickets or collecting money for a charity.  This was a real worry as we have all grown to depend on paypal. 

~ Alison

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Glad they sorted it out so quickly.  As I paid through the NTAF site I think that should have got through okay

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Alison, so glad this ended well and thank you for sharing this information.  I didn't know this and a friend of mine was going to use paypal as a means of collecting money for a charity project she is about to embark on.
So glad to know this,
blessings,
nancy

lombardbears Lombard Bears Australia
ALBANY
Website

Thank gosh you got the money out quick! WELLDONE On EVERYTHING bear_thumb

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

So glad it is all sorted out for you. I have some wonderful donations of bears to raffle and was going to launch the raffle soon with payments going through Paypal...now what to do????Help, does anyone have any ideas on how to accept payment other than Paypal???????

Hugs, Jane.  bear_sad

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Jane,
My husband said there IS a way to collect donations through paypal, even if you are not a non-profit.  I would read into this.  If you word things correctly so it doesn't look like a "raffle" you may be able to sneak by but I think it's risky and not worth it.  One way I thought of doing things in the future is creating an item in my webstore.  If you have a web store, this would be an option that would probably be able to sneak by.  Again, don't call the item "raffle ticket." 

Good luck!
Alison

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry to hear about your Paypal account.  Several of my dolly friends also found out the hard way about raffles.  Your raffle was for a very good cause and I hope it's cleared up soon for you.  I'm glad you were able to raise such a generous donation before they cut off your account.  :hug:

Board footer