Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

NIKKEL Nikkel Bears
Orient Point, NSW

What a great topic Karon.  I just love my Fiskars spring-loaded scissors too, but I must say my absolute 'cannot live without' tool is my day lamp.  As I work full time, most of my sewing/bear making is done at night and my lamp is a godsend - best investment I ever made!!!!  bear_wub

Hugs,
Marg  bear_original

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

This is such a great post. 

Looks like I will be joining you Karon and purchasing some Friskars!  Also looking into the Gingher scissors that Karen mentioned, not so easy to source because they only sell them in America but I did noticed some Ebay sellers are willing to send abroad.

dinimm Melbourne
Michelle Helen wrote:

Would you believe it if I told you my letter opener is my favorite bear making tool? Well it has a sharp point and it is the best thing ever for packing the stuffing in the bear parts. It takes less energy to tap and pack it firmly. I found the tips of my small scissors do the same thing for my mini's.

Aren't you scared of poking them through the fabric?

My favourite would have to be my forceps too.  I used to use the ones I use for dog grooming (to get the hair out of dogs' ears) but finally bought some for bear making because too often I'd go somewhere without them as they were in the opposite tool kit.  A few days ago I bought a pair of mini ones which I'm excited about. I agree with all of you about how many things they are great for. 

Wooden chopsticks with a "V" carved into the end are also good for stuffing and turning.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Oh yes, my daylight lamp, thanks for reminding me Marg, I have the same issue with only working at night most of the time (except for wonderful bank holidays like today  bear_grin  )

Karon Posts: 751

Actually I rather love my Daylight lamp - good one there.

I also have a small grooming comb for rabbit and small animals - that has also been seconded to the bear equipment box - LOVE it!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Di wrote in regards to me using a letter opener and scissors for stuffing:Aren't you scared of poking them through the fabric?

Di: Not really. Sometimes I will have a miss step and it may poke through but the fabric does not tear so that the fabric comes back together quickly. I learned the scissor technique from Lisa Lloyd in one of her classes many years ago. When I went on to make bigger bears, the letter opener was the ideal thing to use. It really does help with firm packing.

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Mine is my tool for turning cotter pins.  Can't believe how much easier it is with the proper tool.
I had been using some pliers but the ends were too large to get the cotter pin really tight.
Since I found this tool, all joints have been successful  bear_thumb

Hugs
Lee Ann

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

No one has mentioned Sharpie pens.  What would we do without something to trace our patterns on the fur?  The other things I could not do without is my assortment of different size dowels.  I have sanded some to a dull point and others are still blunt on the ends.  This is what I stuff all my bears and dolls with.  I use two or three different sizes for every bear I make depending on what part I am stuffing.

Tina Remem-bear Artist Bears

Definitely my stuffing tool, I seriously do not know how I managed before, lol! I bought some mohair on ebay and the same seller had this stuffing tool and hubby talked me into it, I really wasn't fussed, but I use it all the time now and it's fantastic for woodwool.

Hugs
Tina

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

My Fiskars spring loaded scissors and my curved needle for sewing up the seams and sewing the ears on - can't live without them!!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Wow! I didn't realize how hard it's become to find Gingher scissors?! They are more expensive but they are the sharpest and most durable scissors I have ever found. They work well on my heavy Belgium Faux fur. Here's where I found the best price as of today~http://www.amazon.com/Gingher-Knife-Edge-Sewing-Scissors/dp/B000UUABE0
Another important, but I can't say favorite, tool is my Oster, Golden A5 electric clippers. It's the best clipper I have found to shave faux fur but I'm still looking. This clippers is good but it takes constant cleaning and adjusting when you do a lot of shaving. Has anyone found a good electric clipper for teddy bear fur?

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Gosh, it's so hard to choose just one or two favorites... I really don't think I could do without any one of my tools! lol But I think if I had to say, it'd be my forceps and my Tonic Jim Holtz scissors. My forceps are the surgical grade ones, which were my dad's in the Vietnam War, so if I ever lost those I would be heartbroken for more than one reason... And I LOVE my Tonic scissors! THey cut through backing like it was soft butter!  bear_wub

dinimm Melbourne
KJ Lyons wrote:

Wow! I didn't realize how hard it's become to find Gingher scissors?! They are more expensive but they are the sharpest and most durable scissors I have ever found. They work well on my heavy Belgium Faux fur. Here's where I found the best price as of today~http://www.amazon.com/Gingher-Knife-Edge-Sewing-Scissors/dp/B000UUABE0
Another important, but I can't say favorite, tool is my Oster, Golden A5 electric clippers. It's the best clipper I have found to shave faux fur but I'm still looking. This clippers is good but it takes constant cleaning and adjusting when you do a lot of shaving. Has anyone found a good electric clipper for teddy bear fur?

That's funny, these are the clippers I use for dog grooming! I've often wondered what they'd be like to clip mohair but am afraid they'd be too dirty and oily. Might have to give them a go.

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website

My favourite tool for bear-making is...............a kettle for making all those inspiring cups of tea!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

snap, id say mine is the little scissors i use for snipping and sculpting x

Tina Remem-bear Artist Bears
Dawn J wrote:

My favourite tool for bear-making is...............a kettle for making all those inspiring cups of tea!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Oh well, in that case, the biccie jar too! You just can't sew without chocolate biscuits and a cuppa can you, lol!  bear_laugh

Hugs
Tina

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

KJ Lyons...I bought a pair of bikini clippers and they work great for me!

Tatty Bears South Australia

I am new to bear making so I am still getting my kit together.
My favorite thing is my Friskars so far, I haven't used my cotter pin turner yet and I have just bought a set of test eyes which I think will be a godsend when I use them.
I am sitting here stuffing a bear at the moment and am using a long stuffing claw for the first time so I think I now have  a new favourite.  bear_laugh

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I agree with you about the Fiskars.   I also find my set of test eyes very useful, both for eye placement and size.  My set runs from 2 mm to 20 mm.  Mostly I make bears from 12 inches to 17 inches high, but sometimes I make hand sewn bears of 5 or 6 inches.

DreamsInAmigurumi Dreams In Amigurumi
Texas

My crochet hook, tapestry needle and various colors of yarn are my only major tools for bear making.

Board footer