Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

The more I think about this, the more I think it was deliberate - the research bears have had sooooo much publicity this year, and that is such a double edged sword for them.  It's either a hunter who resents the research bears and the restrictions they represent or someone who just wants the satisfaction of killing something that is "famous" etc, to feel he is important.  Maybe Dr. Lynn doesn't want to legislate their safety, but as more people are aware of them, it may be the only way to keep them safe.  Maybe they should make the park off limits for hunting and although I am doubtful about that, maybe the money from the winning the favourite Park contest, as well as the money for the bears and their research might sway some of the powers that be.  I don't think anyone realized how putting in one den cam, would turn into such a powerful legion of fans and supporters.  Maybe it's time there was a letter writing campaign to the parks commission or state government, to see just what can be done, so the bears will have the safety they deserve.  Someone on the facebook group suggested a law named after Sarah, which I think would be wonderful.   I just don't want to sit here and not try to make changes bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Us Bears Pennsylvania

In the past, the PA Game Commission has marked areas of the forest off-limits to hunting, citing wildlife or biological research as the reason.

They have even fenced off kilometers of land and collared/tagged the wildlife then posted signs all around the area, "No hunting under penalty of law."  There were rings of signs on posts all around the research areas then there were signs posted on the fences, themselves.  It was pretty clear that people were not supposed to be there.

With bears, things are a little different but there's no reason that some areas couldn't be posted off-limits.

Now, let's take the Devil's Advocate position for a minute:
(Remember, I already said I'm okay about hunting but I don't care for hunting bear.)

We're sure to hear bear hunters complain about the forest being off-limits but, the Game Commission can say that this research will help preserve bear populations for the future.  Therefore, there will be more bears for hunters to take for years to come.

Short term sacrifice for long term gains.

This approach has worked in Pennsylvania.
A few years ago, the Game Commission raised the antler limit on deer.
Previously, the minimum was 6 inches long or 4 points on the antlers.  Then they raised the limit to 6 points or more.  You can't shoot 4-point buck or "spikes" regardless of how long they are.

Oh!  Hunters squawked about that rule change!  They screamed and cried every kind of argument you could think of but the Game Commission didn't give in.  (They had research to back up their claims!)

But, after a few years, there were more bucks in the woods, there were more trophy bucks in the woods and the deer populations, overall, grew in size and number.

Now, all the hunters in Pennsylvania are BRAGGING about the size of the deer they shoot!  Only a few years ago, they were making such a fuss about the change in the laws.

Why can't they make the same argument for bears?

Do some research on bears.  Mark areas of the forest off-limits.  Learn about bear biology.  Raise the minimum limits on bear hunting.

Then, in a few years, there will be MORE BEARS FOR EVERYBODY... Photographers, nature lovers and hunters.
(Though, I still can't wrap my brain around the reasons why people hunt bear...   bear_wacko )

That would be wonderful!!!

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_cry Very sad indeed, I do not know why someone would hunt down a collared bear with ribbons no less to show that they are friendly bears.  It must be the status symbol that they can shoot a bear.  But what a coward to shoot one with ribbons.  Bad enough they shoot wild ones, which these are also, but you know what I mean.  It broke my heart to hear this.  You work so hard as Lynn and Sue do to educate people and then someone does this, what a rat this person is. bear_cry
hugs Pat bear_flower

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I don't think it was cowardice.

I think it was sheer stupidity.

Like I said, I think it was somebody who had hunter's fever.  ("Buck fever" or, in this case, "bear fever."  Whatever you call it...)

It's an inexperienced hunter who becomes so focused on the quarry that they don't notice details in their surroundings.

I've seen and heard stories about people with buck fever who have almost shot other hunters or have done any manner of unsafe things just because their attention was so focused down their gun sights that they didn't use common sense.

Whether you like hunting or not; whether you like bear hunting or not, people like that don't belong in the woods.  Inexperienced hunters like that are a hazard to everybody around them.  If a person like that wants to go hunting they should have to be accompanied by somebody else who knows how to hunt safely.

In Pennsylvania, people have to take Hunter's Safety courses before they are allowed to get a hunting license.  Young hunters from 12 years old (the minimum age) up to 18 years old must be accompanied by a responsible adult.  I think people who have never hunted before should have to be accompanied by a responsible, experienced hunter for their first year regardless of age.

That's the way it works with driver's licenses.  Isn't it?  Even if you are 30 years old but have never had a driver's license before, you still have to apply for a learner's permit before you can get a driver's license.  Right?
So, why don't we have learner's permits for hunting?

Back in the "old days", the pioneers hunted without licenses but they virtually never hunted alone and young hunters were almost always accompanied by an older, more experienced family member.  I think that's the way it should be today.

I said it before.  I think it's true in hunting and I think it's true in everyday life:  There's always one idiot who spoils things for everybody else!

lemon wolf bear 1 Lemon Wolf Bears
Northern MN.
Website

here is the guy to write to....

David Dill
571 State Office Building
100 REv Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55155

I just read this on the newest post on the Lily and Hope facebook page.   Dr. Lynn does not want individual people writing to legislators at this time.   He is trying to do the best for everyone and even though we may not agree, it is his research and we know he loves the bears so he deserves our respect.  Here is an excerpt from the latest post:

• HUNTING LAWS...please, until Dr. Rogers gives us the go-ahead to contact legislators, please think twice about doing it on your own.

Dr. Rogers is not quite ready to go that route, he is currently working WITH the hunters. He may in the future change that stance, but until then we ask that pleas to contact legislators not be posted on the Lily page. We need to respect his decision.

Dr Rogers walks a fine line on a daily basis...between his research, appeasing the locals, the hunters, the DNR...there are times that his decisions baffle us, but we don't always know the back story that influences his decision.

He is aware of the power of this incredible force. When the time comes to utilize that power, believe it, he will do so."

So, I guess we sit tight until he changes his mind, no matter how hard it is for us.  He's been doing this for many years and we have only been involved for this year - it's his decision to make, not ours.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Poor little girl, RIP

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh how very very sad bear_cry Poor sweet Sarah ~ that is heartbreaking.
Hunting should be banned I say.

Hugs
Carolyn
:hug:

Vicki Posts: 99

How utterly disturbing that there are people in this world who have so little regard for life!!  What a beautiful creature Sarah was!!  This just makes me so very sad. bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

I saw the Wild Kindom episode of Dr. Lynn (I actually have it saved on my DVR) when he tracked bears June & Juliet and their cubs...and while it was heartwarming and it made me smile, I bawled my eyes out when one of the little bear cubs, Mimi, got sick and died..and how the Mama bear Juliet was so upset knowing that her baby was dying...Oh it was just HEART WRENCHING!!  Dr. Lynn talked about the hunters killing some of the bears that were tagged and collared.  It is just so sad...they're such beautiful animals.   bear_cry

So many humans have lost their 'humanity'.  This guy probably has no remorse either.  Thank God there are still people that are doing something to make people aware...just like the people in the t.v. show 'Whale Wars'...and the people who made the documentary film...'The Cove' (I highly recommend it..but keep a box of kleenex handy).

What we all seem to forget is that as with Sarah...the creatures were on this planet first.

~Vicki

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales
Pages:

Board footer