Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

Hi all,

Some of you might remember stitchy:

stitched-teddybear-tn.jpg

He's from a pre-cut fabric set, so all I had to do with Mother, was sew him together and stuff him (and I think, given his proportions, his head is where his bottom should be, and vice-versa.  Poor little chap).  I really enjoyed making him, and he looks really odd.  But I want to keep him.  He's important to me.  :)

Problem is, his joints are a bit loose.  If memory serves, the disc joints are plastic -- two circles with a pin running through them which attach through the limbs. and click in place to hold his arms and legs to his body.  I'm wondering if there's a way of making his joints tighter?  He's getting too floppy!  I should cuddle him less.  :)

Thanks in advance!

-- Thomas Adam

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Thomas wrote:

I'm wondering if there's a way of making his joints tighter?  He's getting too floppy!  I should cuddle him less.  :)

Oh - most definitely keep cuddling, Thomas! But plastic safety joints cannot be tightened (unless someone knows of a secret?). They could be replaced with hardboard joints and nuts & bolts, but that would require extensive open-bear surgery. I'd probably leave him in his current sweet condition.

Becky

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

Hi Becky.  :)

dangerbears wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I'm wondering if there's a way of making his joints tighter?  He's getting too floppy!  I should cuddle him less.  :)

Oh - most definitely keep cuddling, Thomas! But plastic safety joints cannot be tightened (unless someone knows of a secret?). They could be replaced with hardboard joints and nuts & bolts, but that would require extensive open-bear surgery. I'd probably leave him in his current sweet condition.

Becky

Ah, OK.  Thank you.  :)  I don't like the thought of open-bear surgery!  Eeps.  That's a frigtening thought.  He can stay as he is then.  :) :)

Poor teddy -- he was destined for a strange existence.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Thomas wrote:

Poor teddy -- he was destined for a strange existence.

He's a wonderful bear, and I get a huge smile on my face every time I see his picture.  bear_original

Becky

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I haev found with plastic joints that it is sometimes possible to squeeze them a little more through the fabric without performing open bear surgery.  You have to be very strong though.

Karon Posts: 751

Hi Thomas

No advice on tightening plastic joints.

I just wanted to tell you that "Stitchy" was the first bear I ever made too!  That was back in 1985 - that kit has just run and run. 

He's real cute for a beginners bear!

Karon

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

You can wrap rubber bands around the joint between the body and the limb to help make it a little more tight if you want to put him into a certain pose.  This is just a temporary fix.  Do see if you can press the joint together enough to maybe get one more click to tighten them up.
Just keep loving him the way he is. 
Donna

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

If I can't get my plastic joints tight enough I have hubby squeeze them tighter.  If all else fails I have a tool I stole from my hubby's tool box that just fits over the post and I put it on and tap it with a hammer.  Works great and my joints are nice and tight.  Of course for that one you would have to open the seams but at least it's not major!

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
Karon wrote:

Hi Thomas

No advice on tightening plastic joints.

I just wanted to tell you that "Stitchy" was the first bear I ever made too!  That was back in 1985 - that kit has just run and run. 

He's real cute for a beginners bear!

Karon

Thanks, Karon.  :)  I don't suppose you know the name of the manufacturer of Stitchy, or where I could find more packs?  :)  I picked him up in an art shop in Dorchester.  :)

I could have a whole Stitchy family before long.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Yup, plastic joints can't be redone again (trust me, I've had a nightmare with a bear I gave to a friend's daughter, I've been replacing them with cotter pins joints one at a time) open bear surgery's the only way to go

Karon Posts: 751

Thomas,

I have PM'd you.

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

i have problems with metal joints comming loose either nuts and scews or cotter pins any info please before i have to do open teddy surgery  Love them even if they fall apart Paula

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Unlike the plastic joints the only way I can tighten bolts or cotter pins is with open bear surgery!

Board footer