Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

3littlebears Posts: 10

Photo-on-2011-03-22-at-21.11.jpgHi,

I'm new so I'm trying to see how this works bear_original

I bought like 2 years ago in an antique store, in San Juan Capistrano, CA a "Steiff" Teddy Bear. They told me they have a "dealer" and that he/she does her homework and research, " if the tag says it a Steiff, it is!"
I'm not sure if the Teddy Bear is a Steiff because it doesn't have  the button in his ear and it has a pipe in his mouth, I can tell it was glue on later, one part is inside his mouth. :(

I don't have any knowledge than the basic, I have books, I had research on the internet, but nothing that can help me. It looks like a Steiff, but I'm really not sure at all. His paws are not worn-out, it doesn't look that old to me. I like it, and maybe is just a replica, or maybe is not.  I just want to know something  bear_tongue

I'm going to upload a picture so if anyone out there can help me I really appreciate it!!!  bear_happy

Thank you so much,

Mariana Brook

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

He's a cute mohair bear, Mariana. He doesn't look like a Steiff to me, but it could be the pipe that's throwing me.

His face resembles the Steiff "mask bears" of the 60s and 70s, and I'll insert a pic from the net here, but your bear doesn't quite have the right look to me. Steiff bears are also made with rigorous quality control, so the sewing of your bear's feet (a bit messy), says "not Steiff" to me. (What is the paw pad material? suede? or felt? And how is the bear stuffed? Quite firmly, or softer?)

Becky
mask_bear.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Here's another example for you, Mariana, from my collection. This poor guy was missing an eye, so I made an eye patch for him.

Becky
mask_bear2.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

With the button missing from the ear, there would most likely be a little hole left where it used to be (left ear).

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

And one more question for you - Are the eyes "pupil eyes," or plain black?

Becky

Thanks for your reply SueAnn and Dangerbear!

Lets see,

It has black eyes, his paws are made of felt.
It is really hard but not heavy.
He sounds to be fill with excelsior  but only  in the body, the head doesn't make the same sound when I press him, only the nose.
In the middle of his belly where is supposed to be a belly button is really hard, like something is inside.
I couldn't find any hole in his ear :(
I will take more pictures but my camera is out of battery, when is full I will post more.

Thanks for your help and time.

Mariana

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you for the details, Mariana. I think that the Steiff mask bears all had pupil eyes, but these black ones could be replacements (The pipe is certainly a creative touch!). The stuffing does sound Steiff-style.

A few more photos will be helpful when your camera is ready.  bear_original

Becky

Photo-on-2011-03-23-at-18.29.jpgPhoto-on-2011-03-23-at-18.31.jpgPhoto-on-2011-03-23-at-18.03-2.jpgPhoto-on-2011-03-23-at-18.03.jpgPhoto-on-2011-03-23-at-18.02-2.jpgPhoto-on-2011-03-22-at-21.11-2.jpgPhoto-on-2011-03-23-at-18.02.jpgHere is  another picture hope it helps,  I took it with the computer. bear_original

Thanks for all your help!
Mariana

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

He's very cute, and the pictures are very helpful.

He's not a Steiff bear, and looking at his profile, I'm almost sure he's a Hermann (another German bear company). They might even have made a bear with a pipe since they make a lot of special bears with regional themes (e.g. Bavaria).

I really like this guy!  bear_wub

Becky

Thank you so much Becky, it was a lot of help.  bear_original I'm happy I know a little more.
Do you think is old? or just a contemporary Teddy Bear. It really smells like my grandma's house!! LOL!!!
I like him too so I'm happy he is with me and my other bears. I will try to find something about him.

Have a great night,

Mariana

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I think he might be pretty old, Mariana - 1950s or even 1940s.

He's much more unique and interesting than the Steiff mask bears (if you ask me). I looked around online and in my books and couldn't find anything exactly like him, but he looks well-made and very, very cute.  bear_original

Becky

Thanks for your info, you really made me smile!!!  bear_grin

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA
dangerbears wrote:

He's very cute, and the pictures are very helpful.

He's not a Steiff bear, and looking at his profile, I'm almost sure he's a Hermann (another German bear company). They might even have made a bear with a pipe since they make a lot of special bears with regional themes (e.g. Bavaria).

I really like this guy!  bear_wub

Becky

The very thought when I first saw this bear was also Hermann.  He has that kind of look about his face.  They are very sweet faced.

Joanne

Board footer