Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

This may have been covered before....I want to dye a piece of mohair and the backing two separate colours.  As an example, say the backing mauve and the fur pink or the backing yellow and the fur blue.  I wondered if there was any way to do this.  I am worried that if I paint the dye onto the backing it might bleed a long way into the fur and possibly creating a horrible transitional muddy effect. I would appreciate any suggestions. 

Regards

Sue

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I had an artist friend that did the process.  She used the Australian dyes.  For the life of me, I can't think of the name of the dye and they are at my other house.  They would work since the dye is thick and doesn't run.  You let them dry before you rinse the fabric.  I'm sure someone will help me out with the name of the dyes.
Donna

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Sue.  You might find some info in the library under the topic 'Dyes and Colorants'.

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Hi Donna

Would that be Earth Palette dyes?  I never thought about letting the dye dry.  That's got me thinking.

Many thanks

Sue

teeeej Brisbane

Earth Palette dyes are very good as you put them on cold and leave them overnight to dry.

Another way I was told is you use a very thin flat pan with your dye in it. Brush your fur up. Carefully place the backing into the pan, with the hair facing up away from the dye. You have to be very careful when removing it so that you don't make the dye run.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Yes Sue,
It is Earth Pallete.  They are wonderful.  You can even paint a design with them.  If I were at my house with my computer I could show you a picture of some of my friends bears where she dyed the backing only.
Donna

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Thanks loads.  I do have some earth palette dyes that have been sitting unused in my store cupboard...so will have a go!

Many thanks all

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

The Intercal dyes only dye the natural fur, so I guess if you could find the right colour backing that might do it?

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

I have used Procion dyes to color just the backing of mohair and koolaid just for the fur. I use the koolaid first and dye the desired color and then rinse well and then mix up a little batch of procion. Now they sell a thickening agent for procion dyes but I use just cornstarch to thicken mine. I mix the dye and soda ash and then I put in the cornstarch until as thick as paint and then paint it on the backing. Let it dry overnight or until you reach the desired color. I have at times rinsed and repeated several times because I didn't want it too dark. You have to experiment. I love using a cream colored mohair and just having color on the backing.

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Thank you ladies!  Lots to think about!

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

I do it alot with the hand dyed mohair I sell.... I use earth palette dyes.... I paint brush the colour on the back... I use natural state mohair ... so the mohair itself is stringed... I fold and put in a plastic bag.... leave for 24 hours the put in a gentle wash with some fabric softner and then in the clothes dryer... it fluffs up the mohair and no long in string state.... when painting the backing make sure you put on even and do not over does it as it will then go thru to mohair.... experiment with some scraps first before doing it on a big piece... Hope this helps

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Sorry for the stupid question, but can you really see the backing under the fur?  I'm trying to picture how that would work.

teeeej Brisbane

You can if it is a sparse fur. Also if you trim the fur off on the face you will see the backing.  bear_grin

janicemarie Gresswell Forest Bears
melbourne

Slightly OT but those of you who use the earth palette dyes did you purchase the wool or cotton dyes?

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

can you 0lease supply me with web site for earth dyes have never seen these in SA

Thanks Ladies

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam
gugu"s teddies wrote:

can you 0lease supply me with web site for earth dyes have never seen these in SA

Thanks Ladies

Thank you Google! Try:

http://www.earthpalette.com/
http://emmarybears.com/id84.html

Good luck!

Board footer