Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I got a Boyd's Bear at an antique shop that I named Retro.  The lady told me he was from the 70s, but then I was told that the tag on his butt has a copyright with a bunch of years on it, and at the end it says 1988 to 2001.  How did that happen?  What year was he really made?  Sorry, but I don't have a picture because I'm not able to take one, but I'll try to give a description.  He's sort of a light brown color, I think.  I can't see colors.  He has joints in his arms, legs, and head.  He has huge feet, but his arms are really skinny and his head is little.  His belly sticks out like he has a beer gut, lol.  I think he's about 11 inches tall.  He doesn't have clothes on.  I don't know if he ever had them or not.  The lady at the antique shop said that he was previously owned by a lady who collected Boyd's Bears, but she passed away, so her daughter sold the bears to this store.  He's still in perfect condition, so I don't think he was held a lot.  I think he spent his life on a shelf *cry*.  Poor Retro.  I'll put a picture here whenever I can get someone with a camera to help me take it, but I'm just really curious when this bear was made.  It would be hillarious if I named a bear that came out in 2001 Retro, lol.  It won't change how I feel about him, but I'm just curious.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Sounds like he might be a bit newer than the shop lady thought! I have a Boyd's bear (well, rabbit) on my desk. It was the first 'bear' I ever brought as a collectors bear when I was younger. Looking at her tags, which are attached to her butt and I still have the card swing tag attached to her, the copywrites say 1990-1995. She couldn't be newer than that as I have had her years.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I got someone to look at Retro's tag and there is a serial number.  It is either 1634 or 1364 (I can't remember) with CN in parentheses.  Are there any Boyd's collectors out there that could help me?  I'm just really curious about this guy.  Sorry, I know this site is for artist bears, but I thought maybe someone could help me solve this puzzle.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I don't think that's a serial number. mine has 1364 on the tag as well....

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Can't help any more on the bear, but a CN mark is a Chinese trademark, so Boyd's Bears probably all have them.  There's a website, The Boyds Collection Ltd Official Site, where you can search for things they have produced since 1999.  Since there's 2001 on the tag, pretty safe to say it's only about that old.  I'm afraid you'll need someone with eyes to look at him and provide more details, as just searching for bears came up with 5256 items!  There's a lot of possible search options to narrow things down (although alas not colour or size!), so hopefully you'll be able to find out the details you're after.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Whenever I can get someone to take a picture I'll try to post it or maybe I'll e-mail it to you so you can post it because I always get the pics the wrong size.

Karon Posts: 751

It sounds as though you have been conned as I don't think Boyds came out till the mid eighties.  If that is so I think that is appalling!  At least Retro has a nice home.

Karon

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I don't think I was conned because I don't think the lady knew jack about bears.  She said she thought he came out in the 70s, but she very rarely dealt with bears, so she really didn't know.  I didn't have to pay a lot at all for Retro and I'm not upset about it.  For the past few months I have really wanted at least one old bear, but I guess Retro is not that bear.  I still love him and don't get hung up on a bear's maker or when he was made.  I love Retro and that's really all that matters to me, but he's probably laughing at me for calling him Retro when he came out in 2001, lol.  Oh well, he's still Retro.

Karon Posts: 751

Oh good, I really am glad you wasn't conned and you didn't pay much for him.  Never mind!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I probably would have bought him anyway.  I went to the shop I think on Friday and then all I thought about was Retro until Monday or Tuesday when I could go back and get him.  I couldn't get him out of my head.  Hubby and I actually made a trade off.  There was a gospel concert we were going to go to later that week, but we really couldn't afford two tickets, so he told me that if I stayed home from the concert, I could get Retro.  I was bummed about missing the concert, but his experience with the concert lasted a few hours, while I'll be enjoying Retro for years and years.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Sweet, Retro is here now.  I'm still working on that picture.  My pastor's wife took one, but I'm still waiting for her to send it to me.  I hate pictures!!!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Here's a picture of Retro.  I hope this works.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Okay, here's a link to his picture.  Does anybody know about this guy?
http://www.teddybearfair.com/forum/show … #post16310

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Jessie, there used to be a gift shop here that sold Boyds bears and other stuffies.  I remember seeing that guy and thought he was so cute!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Cool.  Do you have him?

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

No, I've always wished that I had bought him...

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

He's a very precious bear.  How long ago did you see him?

Board footer