Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Stuffed Lincolnshire

Wondering if anyone else wants to share about bears that they love. They don't have to be ones that you own, they can be ones that you've seen, owned since you were little or even made yourself. I'd love to hear about why they're special to you, if you don't mind telling (of course).

I might as well start by saying that one of my favourite bears is one I bought for my sister, Sandman by Clare Davis Tedd (I think he's in the gallery here). He was the first artist bear I ever bought, I really liked his eyes and his tired face....and he cheered my sister up no end...he also required more and more Bear-friends  bear_wacko

I thought I'd better put this in the Collectors section rather than general, since it pertains mostly to collecting; if it needs moving, I don't mind.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

My very first bear's name was Harry, however I didn't love him that much and so my second bear kind of took over from him. My second bear, who remains my favourite bear and I still own him, is named Bicky and is nothing all that special to anyone else. In fact I've been told he's awfully grubby from other's perspectives - but I think he's the most gorgeous bear in the whole wide world bear_original

I was a very unwell child, and very often (I had a number of illnesses and it was not unusual for me to be unwell) my mum used to cheer me up by telling stories with Bicky, talking in "his" voice and telling me great tales of adventure. I especially remember a story she told me about a koala (Bicky looked nothing like a Koala but everyone who knows me will tell you I have a huge imagination so he was the BEST koala I'd ever seen lol) who had a stutter and lived near a creek full of chocolate.... I don't remember what happened in the story but I remember it made me so happy because I'd been coughing (asthma at that stage) all night and crying, and couldn't sleep.... I had a ventilator in my room that poured out steam to try and make it easier for me to breathe and all my other bears got locked in my cupboard so they wouldn't end up soaking wet lol, but not Bicky! There would have been hell to pay if ended up locked anywhere.

The next day he was always hanging outside from the washing line..... used to be by his ears, but I thought that was awful so mum would put him in a stocking like a hammock and position him all cutely so he looked comfy LOL.

I also had a lot of puppets (which is why I've always collected puppets and now perform puppet shows almost daily for birthday kids and kindergartons etc) and lots of them were treasured too, but none quite like Bicky.

And I can tell Bicky was important to me because all my other bears had their ribbons literally RIPPED off of them as I HATED ribbons (then), but Bicky got to keep his ribbon - so that's saying something LOL bear_laugh:D:D

OK now that I've remembered things out loud for some time I'd better go try and work out how to make this custom ordered pony.... Hugs to you all and thanks so much for starting this post bear_original

Stuffed Lincolnshire

Bicky sounds like a lovely bear, and a very reliable friend. It sounds like his stories were a lot of fun, too, maybe Bicky should write a book one day.

My grandparents used to do puppet shows (and my Grandpa did magic, too) and there's nothing quite like a Punch and Judy show (or any other puppet show, actually) for capturing a child's imagination!

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

My favorite bear is Arcto.  If you keep scrolling in this section you'll find him.  I haven't had him that long, but he's really been my therapy through this year, which has been the worst year of my life.  I've loved bears all my life, but I've never loved, and don't think I ever will love, a bear or anything else the way I love him.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

Arcto is lovely! Can I ask what inspired his name?

He sounds like he's a real support to you, I don't think a bear could have a prouder job.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

A bear collector is called an arctophile.  I'm kind of a word nerd, so as soon as I heard that, I had to name a bear Arcto.  I thought I posted that in his original thread.  Sorry to all the people who have heard this before.  I'm kind of obsessed with him, lol.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

Oooh, I had no idea that was the word! What a clever name  bear_original

I wonder if there are arctophobics....

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Well I use that word all the time, well, arctophobe.  I think Peterbear and I coined that term.  Not so much as people who are afraid of bears, but people who have an aversion to them.  Those people freak me out.  I don't know if I've heard anyone else call them that, but I've known many of them and I wish I could send them to a desert island so we arctophiles could enjoy our bears in peace.  I could tell you many horror stories about those blasted arctophobes.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

I've heard of people being rude to doll owners at events and things, so I imagine it's much the same for bear owners. There were a few horror stories kicking about between some doll owners I knew, but my knowledge of similar bear stories is sadly lacking: maybe there ought to be a thread for horror stories, those are always interesting and often informative.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

It's mainly people in my family or people who know me well that say I shouldn't have bears.  It happened to me more when I was a kid than now, but I hate when I try to show my bears to someone, especially Arcto, and they disrespect him.  We had a lady that used to come over to help us take care of our house because we're disabled.  She had the nerve to call Arcto a "stupid stuffed animal"!!  I could have shot her.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

It's not fair when people criticise others for something like that...something personal like that, it's not something that they have a perspective on. If someone went to their house, pointed out a picture that was a gift and called it 'silly' (or something) then they'd certainly be upset.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Oh exactly.  I cried and so did Arcto.  He was mad because he's the one I cry on, so his head got wet because of my tears that flowed on him.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

He needs a little umbrella for those moments.

At least regardless of what they say you always have Arcto there. People may never understand bear lovers entirely, but people in any hobby deserve the same amount of respect.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Arcto needs an umbrella, lol.

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Good idea Jessie...Arcto needs a little umbrella so he won't get wet!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

bear-001-300x400.jpgMy favorite bear belonged to someone's mother.  I bought her on ebay.  I don't know why you would ever sell your mother's bear.  She had no eyes, so I gave her some old shoe button ones.  She is mohair with felt paw pads.  She is filled with wood wool.  There are no marks on her, so I don't know who made her.  If anyone recognizes her please tell me.  She is sweet and gentle and has been my favorite since the first time I saw her.

Joanne

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Aww, that's sad, but sadly, non bear lovers don't see our bears the way we do, so to them the bears are just stuff they need to get out of the way.  It almost makes me want to cry.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

It's ok.  She found someone to love her.  I will keep her always.

Joanne

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I can't imagine how hard that would be on that poor bear.  Did the mom pass away?  At least she'll be loved now rather than being stuck in the attic by someone who didn't care about bears.  Give her a big hug from me.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

What a gorgeous bear. And Jessie, your love for bears makes me smile bear_original

Stuffed Lincolnshire

She's a lovely bear  bear_wub
And it was so nice of you to repair her.
I see a lot of damaged bears knocking about in various places and always end up wondering if they could be fixed.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Gabriele, I wish everyone loved their bears the way I do because they deserve it.

Stuffed Lincolnshire

On an old topic here, I found a link to an article that said half of all adults still have a childhood bear, and one third still sleep with that bear  bear_original  a bears work is never done.

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
Stuffed wrote:

On an old topic here, I found a link to an article that said half of all adults still have a childhood bear, and one third still sleep with that bear  bear_original  a bears work is never done.

Yes, I originally posted those links.

-- Thomas Adam

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I wish I still had all my childhood bears, but I moved a lot and a lot of them disappeared.  If I'm ever fortunate enough to have a child, I'll make sure all their bears are kept.

Board footer