Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

My lovely daughter Sarah is getting married and I need help with ideas of decorations that I can make myself. I could go out shopping and buy all the finished products, but where's the fun in that! Also it would be special to make the decorations and to give the wedding a personal touch. I need any ideas for table and room decorations. The reception venue is a little unusual as it will be held at a Railway centre with old steam trains actually in the reception room, now that's different don't you think! Sarah met Matt, her fiancée had arranged to meet at a railway station, so they decided to bring their first meeting into the wedding. The room has a railway platform running between to old steam trains, one of which has Sir Winston Churchill's carriage attached.I just knew Sarah wouldn't have the usual type of wedding with a reception in a beautiful room with all the frills etc., but both of them have really thought out of the box with this one.

railwayCentre.jpg

I look forwards to your ides. Thanks Jane.  bear_flower

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Hmm, do you have a Hobbycrafts near you?  Our local one has quite a big wedding decoration section, and it has a lot of free leaflets with ideas of things to make.  Sorry, never having been married or helped organise a wedding, I'm all out of ideas!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

This may be helpful...or not.  bear_original My wedding was on the casual (and inexpensive) side. I bought purple tablecloths (paper ones) at a party supply store and topped them with white candle-globes from a restaurant supply store.

For table decorations, I put out dozens of colorful origami pieces that I made along with a former student of mine from Japan. My boss had also given me a lot of pencils from Thailand - they had little Thai dolls on the top of each one - so I put those out along with small, colorful pads of notepaper. The guests had a lot of fun writing silly or meaningful notes to us, which we gathered up and saved as a keepsake.

It was my favorite wedding ever. bear_laugh

Becky

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Jane, I am so happy for you and your daughter.  the venue looks spectacular.  I made the bouquets for my sons wedding and the center pieces for my daughter. They were on Valentines day, so was quite easy, hearts and flowers. You are a crafty person so I am sure you can come up with something as long as you have a craft store close by.  Look in magazines, and plan on a theme. Get your daughter and future son in law involved.  Should be a fun time had by all.  Good Luck and keep us informed of the progress.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

All I can say is WOW!!!  I love this.   I think whoever decorated this reception has done a beautiful job picking up the color of the trains and bringing it into the table.  I would go have a look at the trains and maybe pick up some of the color for decorating, as well as the colors your daughter is choosing.  I see black, gold, red, how elegant.  Your daughter has excellent taste.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

How exciting For you and your daughter. I did a google Search of train themed wedding. In this link, If you scroll through the photos, There is an interesting place card idea you could make.
http://ruffledblog.com/modern-travel-wedding/

Now this link is one of the most beautiful bouquets I have ever seen and one I would love to make if I ever got married. If you want make something, this would be loads of fun. it is made out of costume/vintage pins! Here is the link:
http://www.elizabethannedesigns.com/blo … g-glamour/

so please let us know what you are making. Oh and post pictures.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

What a cool place !!! bear_thumb  bear_thumb

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

What month is the wedding? The season could make a difference here....

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Thanks for the replies and thank you Michelle for the links, Sarah loves some of the ideas. Bobbie the month is April, so spring ideas would be wonderful. There is no colour theme as Sarah and Matt have decided to use all colours. Sarah is even pondering on having rainbow dyed roses in her bouquet. Any more thoughts on bits I could make would be wonderful, thanks.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

This is what a friend of mine did for her wedding. She makes teddy bears, I used to make flower arrangements as a professional. So, I made special flower arrangements with a sort of little sponge platform in the middle, and for each platform she made a teddy bear little couple. This was for each table (say 8 people). At the end of the wedding, they made a sort of lottery, so in each table somebody got the flower arrangement with teddy bears as a present. (The flowers were artificial so they would keep forever). It was really cute! Unfortunately I don't have pictures. bear_sad

I don't now if it could do, since you have a train theme already....but here it is!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Thank you Francy, that sounds a great idea, it would be great to make little bears to be used like that. I would be sure to make some as gifts for the children involved in the wedding too.

Hugs, Jane.   bear_flower

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I was going to ask this last night but didn't - until I found out when the wedding would be. Now it's even more apropos.
Is it just an optical illusion (the reflection of the glass/daylight/sky-lit ceiling) that the window areas of the train cars are appearing to have the palest suggestion of a light green shade?

hmmmm... Spring Green???

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

Hi Jane

Check out this website http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/1006/

We used a ton of stuff from this for our wedding a couple of years ago.  I still have the bride and groom bears.  Really easy to put together.  I did cheat with the boxes though, I made boxes for chocolates that my mom made.  But as I am a graphic designer I just took the shape of one of the boxes and put my own design on it.  But we did everything as a paper theme.

Congrats!

Amber

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I made everything for my daughters wedding...her dress, brides maids dresses, flower girls dresses.  The one thing she really liked was a huge baloon arch that they got married under.  We made a wire arch the size we wanted then covered it as full as we could with baloons filled with helium. It was beautiful!

Board footer