Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL
Tami E wrote:

I've just gotta say, again, there are some really fine looking "early/first bears" folks! It is cool to see the changes in style.
Well...MY early bears really look the part.  I like to think that I have come a long way.

Here's Hunnypaws:
IMG_3452.JPG

And here's Baxter:
IMG_3454.JPG

I remember that fabric used on Hunnypaws. Used tons of it.
I also remeber that Baxter pattern, my mom made him up. My aunt liked that pattern and used it a ton when she was making bears... Well for about 3 years.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

bears-2091.jpgOh my..here we go..EARLY...  This bear is made from real fox fur and alpaca fur.  I can't believe I actually have older photos in my computer files.  I huess I need to do some "cleaning" up!

bears2075open-mouth.jpg

and one more early photo:
bears_2086.jpg

My newest designs are not yet photograpghed but these are more of what I make now:

Sherwood-and-son-02.jpg

It's really nice to see all the "retro" and "now" bears. :photo:

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Jared, where are your early bears? I made a ton of Baxters too. I think the pattern was called "Biscuit". It was in a Specialty Better Homes and Gardens Magazine about Teddy Bears. I had made bears before that, but that magazine was the first I heard about artist  bears and mohair. I thought, "Hey, I'm a Teddy Bear artist."

Judi, I love that little cutie! Is he real fur? Do you still have him.

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

saulc.jpgPandoras.jpggeorges.jpgfern.jpgjuliette.jpgthese are a few of my early bears, Saul is one of my 2006 bears
Kerren x

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Great topic! It's fun to see not only how some people's designs have changed, but how others' really haven't -- their style was evident from day one.

This reminds me, I'm looking for artists who were working in the early 80s -- 1983 and earlier. If you were, know anyone who was, or remember any names from shows, magazines, etc., please PM me at mkinsey@madavor.com.

Cheers!
Mindy

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

jozzy.jpgbabylil_21.jpgBaby the pink bear is my very first from my own pattern.
Jocelyn is my most recent

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

Oh dear bear_cry

My very first practice bear made of a very cheap synthetic fabric... 'frankin'  better known as 'frankinstien'...i wonder why :lol:

Frankin.JPG

and then one of my latest...'Scraggles'

scraggles.JPG

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Everyone's bears are great!!!

Wendi, I just LOVE Scraggles!! I am lucky enough to own one of your bears - a collector found she had to sell some of her collection....it's Chocolate and I love him SOOOO much!!!

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

Thanks Gemma, I love making these little ones bear_wub

So Chocolate has packed his bags and moved home has he bear_grin  glad he has a lovely new home with you, give him a hug from me bear_original

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I really love this topic ! I'm a little late but I would like to play too bear_original bear_original.

Here are the first bears of my own design :
jules_presentation.png ulysse_bonne_presentation.png

And here are some of my latest ones :
sandpetit.jpg faune_petit.jpg

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Wow, it's been forever since I've been on here... Hi everyone, I'm baaaaaaaaack!  Well, this looks like tons of fun so I'm going to pop in a pic of a couple of my earlier bears... please all don't run, screaming, from the room... lol  bear_laugh I'm just kidding....  I like to think I have come a long way in one year... I dunno...  bear_wacko

My very first bear I ever made, Cosmo:
cosmosmall.JPG
My first big bear, Joshua:
JoshuaBear.JPG
A couple of my first minis:
Emilysmall1.jpg
Benjamin10.JPG

And my most recent bears:
Daniel_5.JPG
Caroline_1.JPG
Austin_4.JPG

It is so great to see how far everyone has come and how people have changed their style/kept the same styles...etc.  This is a wonderful topic!!! :)

Kimberly W.

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

I'd like to thank everyone whose posted on this thread - I've really enjoyed it and learned from it.

Its amazing to see that everyone's identifiable characteristics were there right from the start - kinda scary too- you all seem to have hit the ground running.

It seems that you've all refined your techniques whilst staying true to your original idea.

That my humble opinion anyhow  :redface:

Peggy Lakeland Teddies
Bonnyville, Alberta

Avery-001b.jpgHi. I'm still a beginner and have been afraid to post any pictures. I think I'm finally ready to post one now so here it is. This is Avery.

Peggy

chris009av Real Deal Bears

OH Peggy what a charmer for your first bear  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
I will have to see what I have stashed in the back of the cupboard  bear_grin

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

One of the first bears that I designed, Drugo:
1373387829_drugo_tt.jpg
One more recent bear, Kenzo:
1373388008_kenzo_tt1.jpg

Wow, it seems like ages!  bear_original  bear_original

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

redtiger2001-10.jpgSadly one of my collectors has passed away and I see three of my 2001 cats up on ebay being sold by an Estate Buyer. I never keep any of my pieces so it was like looking back into the beginning of my cat era  :photo: I never realized how my style has changed. Although I seldom create Red Tigers anymore. Lately it's more character cats and wild cats.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Just found this old thread and really loved it - thought some of the other newbees (like myself) would appreciate a look. Thank you to all who
Michelle x

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Great idea Michelle, this is a lovely thread!  I'd like to add a couple more pics ... how about this time an early traditional teddy bear of mine from the mid 1990's and my most recent ...

1372927876_orwell.jpg

This was Orwell, made about fifteen years ago or so.  He was about 24" tall and I made him in an edition of about ten bears, which sold out. I was thrilled with him at the time and even now, still think he had lots of charm.  He was the first traditional bear I made that I felt completely happy with. :)

1372928042_chester600.jpg

And this is 'Chester', a 19" traditional teddy bear.  I finished him a couple of days ago and as you can see, his design is a little more 'refined'!

Tatty Bears South Australia

1372930508_image.jpg

First bear on the left, latest bear on the right,
I've only been bear making for 18 months but I think I've come a long way  bear_grin

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

how fun!!  Let me see if I can find the pics:)
1372944315_002.jpg
1372944379_009.jpg
The brown one is the first bear I ever made!!!

ttilmo Totally Teddy Bears
Website

What a fantastic thread. I have really enjoyed seeing how everyone has developed over the years.  bear_wub

LittleButtonMeadow Button Meadow Bears
Devon
Website

What a great post, even though some what embarrassing!
Well here we go...
Before
1373386655_img_0447.jpg
1373386694_dsc01863.jpg

Now!
1373386734_3j.jpg
1373386755_9d.jpg

I still like the flower and butterfly thing!

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

1373648504_thread-bear-2000.jpg 1373648534_thread-bear-2001.jpg 1373648551_thread-bear-2002.jpg 1373648571_thread-bear-2003.jpg 1373648601_thread-bears-2004.jpg 1373648624_thread-bear-2005.jpg 1373648643_thread-bear-2006.jpg 1373648661_thread-bear-2007.jpg 1373648689_thread-bears-2008.jpg 1373648709_thread-bear-2009.jpg 1373648727_thread-bear-2010.jpg 1373648753_thread-bears-2011.jpg 1373648771_thread-bear-2012.jpg 1373648791_thread-bears-2013.jpg

I loved seeing your pictures in this thread,  and got curious about my own work from the beginning. Some I had not seen for a long time as I saved those to a hard disk, which usually is not connected to my computer.  Maybe I should make a book with all the bears I have made through the years.. that would be a very thick book  bear_rolleyes 

Like the first day, I still love playing with design and shape. I think not only my bears have improved..also the photo-camera I used then and now is a lot difference bear_grin

Time is flying!!
Berta

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

Funny, just the other day I was thinking about some of my old makes and wondering whether it would be appropriate to put pics up here and then someone revives this thread.

I can't even remember exactly what year these were made, except that, I fell in love with borzois when I worked at a vet when I was 16- 17, so that makes this one about 1978. He was actually airbrushed, with acrylic paint, on long white fur.
1375735198_borzoi.jpg

He never had a name, but he did once give a fright to a guy who was afraid of dogs!

This was Marshmallow. He was 'filled' with lentils, hence his saggy appearance!
1375735283_marshmallow.jpg

I think he was about the same time.

This is Music. He was actually a painted sweat shirt first, but this isn't a sweatshirt forum! He was made from fairly cheap lining fabric and the kind of crappy fur fabric that was around at the time. I think he was made in the early 80's.
1375735388_music_1.jpg
1375735417_music_2.jpg

And this is my latest bear, whom I feel proud enough of to call an actual artist bear. He has an open mouth, Fimo eyelids and nose, and epoxy resin claws. He's not completely finished yet, needs a bit more  scissor sculpting and I haven't even got a name for him yet, but I think he's my best so far, starting to have character.
1375736458_red_2.jpg

1375736326_red_3.jpg

Cosette Lai Posts: 19

Hi ~ I really like this topic. Here is my first and recent bear.

First Bear

Recent Bear

Board footer