Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

susana fung hong kong

tt-leather-heart.jpgHello TTers,
I' m trying the tools on leather, it works well, but it's too thick to sew, then i try this on ultra suede or sheep skin, but it seems not yield satisfactory result.
What would you suggest?
susana

donatel Berlin
Website

Hi Susana,

I take for leather a very thin and small needle. I like it more than a leather  needle with a triangular tip. If the skin is thick you can sew around the perimeter with the sewing machine WITHOUT  thread. So you'll have an evenly punched holes.

Kind regards

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Yes,  the needles are called glover's needles.  They have a triangle tip that will cut through the leather.  You can buy them from a leather supply company.  Makes all the difference.  What is it you are trying to do?

My favorite leather to work with is lambskin.  But it is more important to look for the weight of the leather.  That is how they measure thickness.  I try to keep it around 1 to 1/1/2 oz more than that is too thick.

But if you are looking to tool leather, and emboss it with letters or a design you will need nice thick leather and an awl to pierce the fabric before stitching.

Here is a link to the guy I buy leather from.  He has an ebay shop too.  You can look around and see the way they are marked.  I have sent him questions and he has always given me good prompt answers.  http://www.theleatherguy.org/LAMBSKIN-15408.aspx

Joanne

susana fung hong kong

Hi,

I just add a photo that the design is embossed on the leather, cow skin, 0.2 cm thick, sorry Joanne,  i don't know the weight, as they are scrap from craft store.

find it difficult to sew on 4" bear and the seam is not clean as well even with size 3/7 leather needle, is the problem of thread? what kind of thread you use? mine is strong cotton thread.
in the meantime, i try to do the embossed on thin leather, sheep skin and suede ( for much easier to sew ), the final outcome is very weak, that the image cannot be seen  bear_sad

will try the sewing machine for the holes linked to the body, thanks Elena.

susana

donatel Berlin
Website

Susana, cow skin 0,2cm is very hard to sew, it's very thick. I use goat leather and buy it here

http://stores.ebay.de/jlx-leder/Ziegenl … 34.c0.m322

This leather is nice to sew but it is impossible to emboss, because it is very thin. I take nylonbond thread.
Elena

susana fung hong kong

I finally shifted to another alternative to sew on lined leather, which is leather with lining, it shows the embossed pattern, but not obvious. Maybe i have to take a short course in this aspect  :doh:
The link above is wonderful, like their dye, those colors look natural, thanks Elena  bear_thumb

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Susanna,
When I sew the very thin leather for the foot pads I use regular thread.  I use that because I want the thread to not be noticeable.  I am now working on a hat with thicker leather, I have used upholstery thread which works well, and I have also used artificial sinew.  That is a waxed thread that is many threads held together, you can separate it into smaller strands.  I believe that many people that work with leather use this type of thread.

Joanne

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I always use regular needles and regular thread when I applique my paw pads.  I like drizt #7 quilt-basting needles for handwork, and shmetz 8, 9, 10 needles for machine applique. I don't like to use glovers - although klasse needles makes a #12 leather needle, I find mostly glovers leave holes that are more susceptible to tearing when doing the stuffing for trapunto.

I also find that regular Gutterman thread is much stronger than regular Coats & Clark thread, which almost always frays and breaks eventually, but Coats and Clark upholstery thread is stronger than Mastex upholstery thread ;-)

susana fung hong kong

Hello Joanne and Kelly.
oh yes, i use general needle and Guterman thread for thin leather, and i have the experience that the triangular on thin leather leaves big hole if i need to remove the stitching and cannot be used anymore  bear_sad ,
i have seen people in Australia use artifical sinew, but don't know what's the difference between usual thread with wax? what's their advantage?
will go and try the Dritz quilting needle, thanks for your suggestion.
susana bear_original

Board footer