Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Jenny,
this is a very interesting thread!
I work on my bears when I find the time, so there is no fixed schedule. I kept track of the hours a couple of time and I can make a 9-11 inches bear in about 25-30 hours. This means that it takes me about a week to ten days to complete one, as I always do one at a time. I thought I was really slow, but now that I read all these posts I feel comforted that I'm average! bear_original
I could probably be faster if I used a machine, but I also hand sew, and the needle felting, the shading and the fimo claws eat up so many hours! Well, I'm not complaining as I enjoy it immensely!!

Beth Anne Beth Anne Bears
New River, AZ

I'm designing new patterns in different sizes (3-6") right now and I've also just started doing disc and cotter pin joints. I've always string jointed up till now. I don't know if any of you have had the same problem, but it usually takes a few tries to get the right proportions on a new pattern. I've made as many as 4 bears to get one pattern right! bear_sad I'm close to getting all the different patterns I want made (for now bear_laugh ), so hopefully I'll get faster soon.

I'm really not sure how long I actually spend getting a whole bear done. I only got one 4" bear completely finished last week (with 3 failed pattern attempts), working about 8-10 hrs/day for 6 days, and he's only wearing a bow! bear_tongue

In the past it has taken me about 10 hours to make a 3" bear using a pattern I'm comfortable with and string jointed limbs and a disc/cotter pin neck. My goal is to make about 4-5 mini/small bears a week to sell. I'm working full time making bears, and I usually work 8-10 hours/day at least 6 days/week, so I think this is possible. *fingers crossed*

Board footer