Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has a hard time with the "finishing" part of the bear making process.  I love cutting the pattern pieces out and sewing and stuffing (okay I don't love stuffing but it doesn't really bother me) and shading but once the bear is complete I face bear block.  I haven't found the perfect thing to put around the neck of my bears and I am not good at clothing because I really don't have time to play around with it.  I have a bear now that sits naked on my table staring at me because I can't figure out how to finish him.  I have made ruffles and bows and fabric bows and tags but I don't always feel that I have added what the bear needs.  I'm sure I overthink it.  But I look at other bear artists that always seem to have added that perfect something to the bear to make him look his best and I wonder how you do it.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Oh I hear what you are saying!!! I mull it over all the time. I go from dressing to not dressing ..to accessories to simple ribbons. I love the shabby chic look but I don't like too much...yet there are times when I love to go OTT..but it has to work with the bear...not accesories for the sake of it. I don't have a signature accessory as some artists seem to find. I often think I would like to discover my identity in that regard yet I think I would quickly get bored with any  'Three O'clock' brand identity styling. I tend to go with the flow and spend my time looking round for ideas for each bear individually. But it's hard keeping that up....I sometimes wish I was easy on myself...but then that is what sells the bears I guess.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Lisa, I understand what you mean. Sometimes I know what my bear is going to wear  or what accessory I want him to have even before he is finished, but sometimes I just stare at him and keep mulling ideas in my head. And the problem is that when you are so close to being finished, you just want to see him ready, it feels you are loosing time with something and maybe it is not worth it....
I love working with felt, so I kind of found my 'brand', at least until I get bored of it! bear_original  In a sense it makes it easier for me because the material and the style are kind of set....but you can really do so many things with felt that it isn't easy anyway!
Every time I say to myself that next time I will keep it simple....but when the time comes I just can't do it!  bear_original

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

That's what my bears need, some kind of signature finishing touch.  There isn't a ribbon store in my neighborhood, but there is a bead store.  I must pay the bead store a visit.  Soon.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I like to know what my bear is going to be or do before I even pick out the fur.  I draw a few rough pictures of my theme; bear skate boarding, roller skating, playing a musical instrument, etc.  I know what the accessories and/or clothing will be before I even start.  I make my bear first and then fit all the rest to him.  I find this is kind of like making clothes or toys for your child! Part of the fun and challenge!

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

bear_laugh Francy I feel that way too.  I want the bear finished and I feel like I'm suddenly in a hurry at that point. bear_rolleyes

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Oooh, I can certainly relate to this, as I take way too much time thinking about a bear's finishing touches.  My first problem is usually deciding upon a name which suits the bear and sometimes I may have a choice of several names for a particular bear and take ages before eventually coming to a decision.  But even that may not be the final word on the matter!! 

As far as the finishing touches are concerned, if I am lucky then I may know of just the right accessory/neckwear which will compliment the bear's "personality" (in my mind anyway!!) but there are too many occasions when I play around for days trying different ribbons/laces/collars/whatever and keep changing things until I am happy.  Normally I will still end up buying even more items which I think may be "just the thing!" but then go back and decide on something which I had considered days beforehand.  Mind you, I am like this with most points on bearmaking and take an age deciding on what mohair to use for a certain bear. I "overthink" too much, and it probably doesn't make any difference to the bear in the end!  Ha! bear_laugh

If I do ever have an idea for a certain accessory to accompany a bear before even taking scissors to mohair, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will have changed my mind before the bears finished!!  Is there any hope for me?? bear_grin

Board footer