Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I recently had three old bears evaluated by Ken Yenke. I knew of him through Teddy Bear and Friends magazine, and it was a pleasant experience getting good information about these bears.

The first photo is a Petz bear (Germany) from the 1930s. Petz used the "sliced-in ear," which was a slit cut in the head fabric, ears inserted and glued into place. They've held up pretty well! The plastic eyes do seem to be original as is the stitching, but the pads were re-covered with glued-on felt.

The second photo is of a Dutch bear, they're commonly called Van Gelders, from the 1940s or 1950s. Like the Petz bear, he's very well-stuffed with excelsior, but like many WWII-era bears, his plush is made from cotton and silk, not mohair.

The third photo is of a Gebruder Sussenguth bear (German, made the famous "Peter Bear") from the 1930s or 1940s. Ken recognized the mohair as theirs immediately.

Could you resist any of these faces? (I didn't think so.) :)

1372286392_dscf3726tt.jpg

1372286412_p1040613tt.jpg

1372286435_p1040634tt.jpg

Becky

tommie1857 Posts: 29

Hi Becky,
Your so lucky. You have 3 really great bears there. Love them all. Enjoy them. :rose:
Tommie

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

I certainly couldn't resist those faces!  :teddybear:
It always fascinates me to know that these bears were around before I was even conceived.  bear_happy  (and frankly, despite their age they are looking much better than I am  bear_laugh )

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Peter wrote:

and frankly, despite their age they are looking much better than I am

You and me both, Peter! bear_laugh

Becky

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

These are wonderful bears, Becky, and I'm not saying how long I've been around, or how well I look,  but its scary!!!!

LitWit Posts: 298

Wow, I am in LOVE with the first and last bears! That perky little smirk! And that beautiful tipped mohair! Fantastic!  bear_happy

Board footer