Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

mwaggs2 Quilts-N-Critters
Middletown, Ohio
Website

Hello Everyone

I was just wondering if you work from home or do you have a studio that you go work in away from home?
I currently work from home in a studio in my basement (a great place to work I must say) but I find myself doing other things. Instead of going to the basement and doing what I love (making bears) I feel that everything else must be done first so sometimes I never make it there.
So I'm trying to decide if I should move my studio to an Art Studio where there are other artist, there are no teddy bear artist but other creative people. Actually I find it kind of lonely sewing in the basement, so I'm always ready to do something else if a friend calls.

I'm a bad be my own boss. I guess.

Thanks for any input.
Marilyn

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

I have a craft room that I put together to do all my stuff in but I do most of my work on a little portable table in the living room lol.   I get lonely being in there all by myself too

carrie

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I also have my work room at home. It never gets lonely though, as my children's playroom is right across the landing. If they are not outside playing, then no risk of feeling alone, or bored.  bear_original
I also tend to do everything else that is needed in the house before feeling all right to do my crafts, but I guess it is OK as my first job occupation is 'hausfrau' (namely 'housewife') and my craft comes second anyways.

Jennitoday 425 Square Foot Art
Poughkeepsie,NY

We converted our garage into a studio...so it's away, but not really...lol. It's def. better than being in the house like I was before where I would always get side tracked with chores. Now that I can get away from the mess, I just pretend it's not there...lol! Also, what has always helped me is either listening to talk radio or watching tv while I create..it keeps me focused on what I'm doing oddly enough. bear_original

Tronn Posts: 1

My husband and I both work from home in a spare room for our eBay business

Conni Germany

bear_thumb Nice room, Pink!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

When my son left home a couple of years ago, his bedroom became my workroom and I love this room to work in!  Before that I worked in a smaller bedroom and before that, from home in my living room and on my kitchen table ... and before that, I shared premises across town (with my ex-husband before we divorced) - so over the years, I've set up 'bear camp' just about everywhere!

I certainly understand what you mean about the isolation of working from home though, it can be very tough.  Working from home can be very lonely, but I've done it for so many years now, I don't think I'd like to go back to a 'normal' working environment ... I like my own company most of the time.  That said, the isolation can be hard to cope with, so to help combat it, I recently adopted a puppy (now almost six months old) and she has changed things hugely for me.  Polly is so much fun and terrific company ... and she makes sure I break up our day with walks, which is proving much better for my health.  Mind you, I must confess, I didn't get much work done when she first arrived! bear_tongue

1375872114_workroom450.jpg

1375872220_img_1704.jpg

1375871993_img_0174.jpg

1375872048_img_0179.jpg

1375871864_img_0071_1.jpg
Polly

Miser Miser Bears

Why is everyone's workspace so much tidier than mine! My desk looks like a bomb hit it  bear_wacko

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Oh, wow, I LOVE to see the 'backstage' pictures. They really give me a feeling of the artist at work! Thank you Pink and Paula for sharing!
I did some 'renovating' in my blog recently, and I put a page about my workspace.
http://kaleideascope.blogspot.ch/search … y%20studio
It looks so tidy in the pictures....nothing like it is now that I'm in the middle of a project! bear_grin

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I have a bedroom converted to my sewing, bear, workroom.  It was just remolded this year.  Before it was furnished with whatever was on hand with old paint walls that did not match and a very "busy" vinyl tile floor, but now it is MY room!  I do not go in there for hours on end, but I do go several times a day when I am working on a project.  It is the first place I go in the morning after my husband leaves for work and I work for about an hour before going into the other parts of the house for my "other" (boring) work.  I enjoy what I do and I do not get lonely.  However, I do have 3 or 4 relatives that call me to "chat" everyday, and I have my dog Bendigo, who needs his belly rubbed many times a day!
1375890928_img_1363_2.jpg  1375890964_img_1364_2.jpg 1375890982_img_1376_2.jpg  1375891006_img_1378_2.jpg

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

I guess I'm the odd man out.....I don't have any sort of dedicated workspace for bearmaking (My house is really small) just a wall of the garage that is essentially a "staging" area for fur and equipment.
when it's time to make a bear I generally pull materials to the kitchen, or in the winter I work outdoors on the front or back porch.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have a bear room with great work tops and shelves...a hanging area that is for fabrics..a rack for cottons..and two sewing machine stations..along with a nice filing cabinet for my patterns .....do I ever use it...not on your nelly. I sit downstairs with the dogs parked either side of my chair....I cart the sewing machine downstairs too and it's on the dining table along with a pile of fabric. I have big box of ribbons in the living room...three boxes of tools on a table by the side of my chair..and a sewing box rammed with all kinds of bits and pieces...all my jointing things are hidden away in a drawer in the living room. All this so I don't have to go and work in my lonely turret.
I always planned to work there but the first day I did the dogs wanted to come too..and as the aren't allowed up stairs I decamped downstairs and have never worked there since. My workroom is a great workspace but I have never used it....not even once!

Kelly1976 kellys bears
newcastle upon tyne

I love working from home ! I do housework as I make my bears if I feel I have done to much bear making I just do a few chores which usually gives me ideas about which direction I should go with my bear and if the sun is shinning I just step out of my front door and sit outside and sew bear_original its a win win situation x

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I made my walk out basement my art studio/craft room. I have to keep putting things away for I have one sneaky Siamese cat that will walk away with my fur and any item left out. I have a little living room on the side to sit and do hand sewing. It has a fireplace and TV too so it is nice and warm during our Minnesota winters.

1376069436_photo.jpg
1376081784_photo.jpg
1376081872_photo.jpg
1376163116_my_craft_closet.png

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

1376117615_workspace.jpg

I can not share a big separate room for working. I have a desk, close to the window which mostly looks like in the picture bear_wacko . I find myself working everywhere in and out side the house though, depends on what I work on... so actually..I have a very big working room  bear_grin

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

Miser wrote:

Why is everyone's workspace so much tidier than mine! My desk looks like a bomb hit it  :wacko:

I just posted a picture of my desk... now I want to see your`s too  bear_original

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

God, I want Polly's craft room bear_tongue ! I have so many different hobbies, and different places in the house to work on them, lol! I haven't a spare room right now, I rent it out to make ends meet or else it'd be my craft room....one day! I work on my dollhouse miniatures at the craft table in my basement, all my knitting, crocheting and needle crafts on the couch in the living room, and my bears on this wonderful old wicker chair a family friend gave me. It's sort of half a circle shaped, on a base, with a huge cushion on it. I can sit cross-legged in it and still have room to spare, I love it!  bear_grin As for being alone when I work, I prefer it that way and tend to chase my son and husband out if they wander in, lol. I never feel lonely, I prefer my own company, as it gives me time and space to ponder thoughts and ideas for new bears and such.  bear_happy

Board footer