Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Ganda Copenhagen

Greetings Teddy- Talk People!

I am a Danish woman who have these two old friends with me: a teddy bear and a monkey I am so curious who made- and what they might be worth. Not that I would ever sell them, but because I am worried if my kids might just throw them away one day when I am gone, thinking it's just some old stuff.

The  teddy bear my mother had bought for me, when I was a very small girl from a "very famous German teddy bear factory" ( so I was told) and the monkey was hers. They have both been with me all my life ( from the early 60's) and now I am curious who made them. Once maybe 30-35 years ago I visited a friend of a friend who happened to have the exact same bear, just in a smaller size than mine- it was so incredible, as I have never met anyone who had the same teddy bear- ever! And it was funny as his teddy also had a slightly stained mouth because he had also fed his honey when he was a kid. He told me a family member who travelled a lot had bought it for him when he was very small.

I have been searching the internet for ages trying to find a bear similar- but with no luck. I guess it's not a Steiff as I first thought, as it doesn't have the colored bib? It squeaks when being pushed on the stomach.

The monkey looks like a "Jocko" from Steiff ?

I hope someone out there knows my two old toys, and can help me ?

Kind regards,
Ganda1388855721_image.jpg

1388855760_image.jpg

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

The monkey looks like the Steiff Jolly Jocko Monkey like the one in this link:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/614512-VMM … Monkey-One

The other one is a zotty bear, there are quite a few different zotty's, I am leaning towards Hermann because of the lack of bib, but I personally own a couple of steiff Zotty and don't know much about the Hermann ones.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/569605-423 … y-16-Needs

With steiff you can often see the little hole in the ear where the button was taken out, or if lucky the button might be hidden under the fur bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I agree with Jen, and I think the Hermann Zotty bear is pretty special because of its large size.

Welcome to Teddy Talk, Ganda!

Becky

Ganda Copenhagen

Thank you both for the welcome and your opinions on my teddy and monkey. But it seems like it's impossible to know what they really are and that is so frustrating. Yes the monkey looks like the monkey in the link, but stil different..maybe because of age.

The same with the teddy..it reminds of but doesn't look the same..

I was so hoping that someone would take one look at the toys and just go: " Yesss, I know EXCATLY which ones these two babies are!"

Haha I guess I have to be more patient and maybe I will never know, just really would have liked to. They are just both so special they can't just not BE someone ( special teddy, haha.. You know)!

I have to admit I don't know if either of them ever had a button, if they did I am sure my father would have taken it off, it's the sort of thing he just might do.

Ganda Copenhagen

Oh by the way, who makes you both say the bear is a " Zotty "- how do you know? ( what does it mean)

bear_ermm sorry, I really don't know much about this!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

To my knowledge, Ganda, a Zotty bear had an open mouth and downturned front paws.  Several factories made them.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm 99% sure that you have a Steiff Jocko and a Hermann Zotty.

Zotty means "shaggy" in German and refers to the fur. It's what Steiff named their bear. The Zotty style bears have an open mouth and turned-down front paws. (Fechter in Austria also made a similar style.)

Here's an old discussion about Zotty bears: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=31325

Becky

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

It is fairly difficult to track down exactly what year each ted was made, I thought I would show you my two Zotty bears (both Steiff), the one on the left is a 1960 replica, the version on the right was last made in 1967. He is a bit worse for wear and his squeaker doesn't work any more. Ive been tempted in the past to perform surgery and replace it  bear_wacko but can't bring myself to.

Now that you know their names it might just be a case of going through the internet until you find the exact copies of yours to find out a date maybe.

1388876018_p1040308_600x450.jpg

Ganda Copenhagen

Thank you again, all of you. The old discussion was interesting, and suddenly I hear another name, not. Hermann but a new name I haven't come across before. Hm..

Why would you think of Hermann and not some other name, is it because Hermann is bigger?

Ganda Copenhagen

Ps. Jenbee: thank you for showing me those two sweethearts- they are really adorable!

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

no problem  :love:

Regarding Hermann they have been going since 1912 I believe and are a very big company. During my collecting of bears I have seen their bears quite a lot although I don't own any. I just happened to know that both Steiff and Hermann did a Zotty bear. I hadn't heard of Fechter either.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

The Hermann Zotty looks almost exactly like a Steiff Zotty except that is doesn't have a yellow or peach-colored "bib" on the front. Fechter bears look different--often with a red tongue. bear_original

I'd guess that Ganda's bear and monkey are from the 1960s.

Becky

Ganda Copenhagen

bear_wub thank you for all your efforts. I have ben mailing with someone who suggested the Bear could be a Grisel. But she also thought he looks like a Hermann . She asked me if my monkey had a hole in the ear and he actually HAS, one flat hole.

Oh by the way yess my babies are from the. 60's. Good Call!

Ganda Copenhagen

Just wanted to tell you that I had an answer from Steiff who said the monkey was made by them, suggested the bear was made by Hermann but Hermann said they didn't make the bear -but suggested it was a Clemens Spieltiere- so I mailed them too and they confirmed they made the bear from 1958 to 1970.

I have to say this experience has shown me how many kind and helpful people there are out- it was a nice and somewhat unexpected! Maybe teddy people just ARE nicer;))

Thank you all!

Cheers,
Ganda

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

How nice that all three companies answered your questions, and how interesting that the bear is a Clemens! I wouldn't have guessed it.

Thanks for sharing the news, and I agree - teddy-bear people are the nicest! (including you) :)

Becky

Bem Bem
Victoria

You know before I found this thread I thought I was the only one who sill had there Teddy Bear, but I don't feel as alone now as I had before and though my Teddy Bear isn't as old as the ones talked about here, I'm still sort of curious about the history behind him. bear_happy

Ganda Copenhagen

Og you have one too?? Amazing, do you have a picture?

Bem Bem
Victoria

1391133888_cam002394.jpg

this is my teddy bear his name is Edison  bear_wub

Bem Bem
Victoria

P.S. I only know that I got him when I was born 1997 and his tags are all worn out and unreadable bear_sad

~Bem

Board footer