Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Cathy Posts: 4

Hello,
I have recently unpacked this little Teddy Bear form my friend's estate Steiff collection but am unsure of the maker.  The bear is jointed and measures just over 6" tall.  Any help on an ID, maker and age would be so appreciated.  My research got me nowhere fast.
Thank you very much!
Cathy1392743633_p1340143.jpg1392743658_p1340147.jpg1392743677_p1340146.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It's a Steiff (original teddy) if you ask me.

It would look like this one if it still had its tags:
1392761816_steiff.jpg

Becky

Thanks Becky!  I sure appreciate your reply  Mine doesn't have the felt on the front paw pads.  Did Steiff make this particular Bear without the felt am sure it is possible...anything is possible!
Cheers,
Cathy

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hmmm... I've seen the really small Steiff bears with no felt paw pads at all, but I'm not sure about just the front paws. As you say, though, most things are possible! Maybe someone else here knows. (I was basing my call on the overall look of the bear, but the Hermann company was often just one step behind anything Steiff made. There might be other possibilities, too.)

Becky

Thanks again Becky bear_original  They do look very similar!
Take care,
Cathy

bears2adopt Bears2Adopt
SF Bay Area

Just for comparison, here is a Hermann bear - a little bit larger. So far (and that's not saying a lot!) all the Hermann bears I've looked at do not have the stitched paws and they all have a fairly distinct hump on their back. The small Steiff bears that I have do look very much like the above bear. I'm just a novice at all this though....

1392770430_hermann_teddy_original_62-25_2-3_smaller.jpg

Ernie

Thank you Ernie,  I really appreciate your help and photo.
Take care,
Cathy

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website

If you ask me, he looks a lot like some of the many Chiltern Hugmee teddy bears.  But I wonder if he's too small?

-- Thomas Adam

Board footer