Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

I thought this was interesting!  The New Yorker magazine has an article online this week about an art exhibit at the New Museum in New York called the 20th Century through the eyes of the Teddy Bear!   I think I'll go!   Lots of wonderful pictures on the article located here:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/photo- … teddy-bear

Check it out! bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Very interesting . . . thanks for the link, Esther!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It sounds fascinating! (Though I disagree with the artist's minimalization of the teddy bear as phenomenon of the 20th century.) If you do go, I'd love to hear what you thought of the show!

Becky

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Oh, I'm definitely going...My husband Steve says, "Hmmmmm, even though your knee is bothering you, it doesn't seem to hurt anymore when teddy bears are involved!"   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin   So true!

Here's a picture from the museum's website to give you an idea of the size of the exhibit!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Wow, impressive! And lucky that the knee pain can be overcome for special circumstances.  bear_original

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Oh my goodness . . . how could one see everything?!  It'd take me hours to look at all the photos - and I would certainly want to.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Wow, I wish I could see it too.  bear_shocked

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

So I went to this exhibit on Saturday, and wowowowowow!     It was amazing and wonderful and fun and sad and moving and overwhelming all at the same time.   I wondered what happened to all these teddies and all these people in the pictures!!   Each teddy on display had a coordinating original photograph with its owner for its provenance.  I only got one good picture of a photograph of a little girl with the cat on wheels with the teddy.  (I hope you can see it.)  There were a lot of people there that day.   I hope it encourages new interest in bears!

Here's some pictures:

Steiff Titanic bear (first time I've seen one in person!)

20 inch Steiff sitting on a chair, both of which are in an original picture.

Strunz bear, about six inches sitting. Amazing little bear with pearl buttons

Steiff cat on wheels with his bear friend.

photograph with the steiff cat and teddy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Oh my goodness!!  How fantastic it would've been to be there!!  Thanks for the photos!

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Oh yes, it looks fabulous!  Thank you for sharing the pictures, Esther!  bear_thumb

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

You're very welcome!  I hope the artist will put them on display again somewhere!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Wow indeed! You did a much better job than the press photos of showing us the in-the-fur bears that were on display. I'm pretty smitten with the little Strunz!

Thanks for sharing,
Becky

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Wow!! EJ Thank you for posting this  bear_flower What a wonderful conceptual piece of art and of course terrific to see teddy bears getting some well deserved attention/appreciation  bear_wub  bear_wub I'd love to have seen this and glad it was so busy too. Thank you so much xx

Debbie Five Shelbyville, TN

Wow! Just seeing this post. Thank you so much for sharing bear_original  So glad I was from a generation of teddy appreciation!  ~ Bear Hugs ~ Debbie 5

Board footer