Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Jacquie Posts: 7

Hi every one can any one tell me is this a good idea to use faux suede for foot pads and hand pads instead of felt, is it just a matter of taste or is there a reason most patterns call for felt. I don’t like the idea of real suede from an ethical stand but I wanted something a little more special than felt, any ideas will be gratefully accepted

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

I use ultra suede all the time as I prefer the look.  I think it is up to you what you want to use, there is no hard and fast rule.

Thank you so much for taking time to reply can I ask is ultra suede the same as faux suede and is it easy to hand so with

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

I think ultra suede is better quality than faux suede but not entirely sure.  I find it very easy to work with.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I pretty much use ultra suede for all my bears and sometimes I will make the arms without a paw pad and use the actual fur for the foot pads as well.  I will then add needle felted toes and paw pads.  Just gives it a different look

Thank you so much for your ideas

bearoness Posts: 4

Ultrasuede is a specific brand of faux suede, made from polyester.  It can make wonderful paws, but in doing some repair work on a bear I made about 25 years ago, I discovered that it has become very weak and is disintegrating, even though the leftover fabric I made the paws from is fine.  I filled the bear with plastic pellets, so I think that may be the problem.  I am replacing the pellets with polyfil stuffing.

Ted Menten suggested using fusible interfacing on Ultrasuede in his book Teddy Bear Studio, so I am going to do that in the future.  In the meantime, I am planning on using Solvy dissolved in water on the bear I am repairing, in hopes of stabilizing his feet.  He was never played with, as I made him for myself.

fusible interfacing on Ultrasuede What a good idea thank you ?

bearoness Posts: 4

Thanks!  I am trying so hard to make the best bears possible, for family and friends, and I am so paranoid about messing them up that I do a ridiculous amount of research.  This website has proven so useful, and I hope that there will be more activity in the future.  Facebook is great, but this is so much more focused.

Board footer