Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

WoooHoooo

Howdy Miss Jill...a great big gollywoggin hug and hi to you

You must tell all about what you do and how long you've been doing it.

If you have been lurking and reading you already know what a bunch of noseykins we can be.:lol::lol:

But that doesn't stop us from being delighted yu have come to play-we have so much fun here....

Glad to meet you and we all hope you stay for a long time!

Dilu

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Yeah Jill...come on and tell us about yourself...please... ...Winney

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Jill, Welcome ,
                               But you will have to give us some more information, we are a real friendly bunch here . Don't be shy.   
                         Hugs Rita xxx

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Hi -

I am Jill Bruce.  I live in West Palm Beach, Florida.  I am 53 years young, have been married for 33 years and we have one married son who is 30.  I work full time for BellSouth.  I took a bear making class a couple of years ago from Suzie Kuka of Kukabearas and loved it.  I do not have a lot of spare time to devote to bear making but everyone did received a bear the Christmas after the class.  I have tried different patterns, and am still painstakingly trying to design my own.  You all make is sound so easy, especially those of you who just draw a pattern up for the moment.  I cannot seem to get the gusset length, head piece equation right.  I don't feel that I really have much to contribute, being so inexperienced. I am blown away by the knowledge that you all are willing to share and the incredible talent I see in the Avatars.  I did not even know what an Avatar was before now.    I try to read the posts every few days, but am trying to perfect my pattern so I can get going with this Bear Business Adventure.  The information I have gotten here and on the other site has been an invaluable tool for me and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.  Now, if anyone has the secret to the gusset - head piece thing - please don't hold back.

Jill

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hello, Jill, and a very big welcome to Teddy Talk! bear_laugh  Everybody here has something of value to say and you do, too!  Do you have one of those flex rulers that can be bent and twisted?  It makes measuring the gusset a LOT easier!  When designing new patterns, it becomes invaluable.  Do you know the rule of thumb about measuring the gusset and head pieces?  If not, let me know and I'll draw a diagram of what works for me.  Hope you have fun here! bear_laugh

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hey Sue Ann,don't mean to intrude but I would love to know the rule of thumb also.Thanks for sharing:D:D

Blesings and hugs,Shari.

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks for the warm welcome SueAnn - I love your fabulous bears.  I even emailed you once to ask where you got the Longhorn T shirt on one of your bears.  You were very gracious and told me.  I just purchased a flexible ruler that quilters use - is this what you mean?  But no, I do not know the rule of thumb for measuring gusset and head pieces.  I would love to see it drawn out.  If you cannot post it here, my email address is: jillybee12@bellsouth.net.

Thanks for welcoming me,
Jill

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Yes, Jill, I do remember your question about the Longhorn T-shirt!!  Were you able to get one?  And yes, the flexible ruler that quilters use is the one I mean.  I will get the diagram up this afternoon so that anyone who doesn't know the rule can see what I'm talking about.  Shari, no problem!! bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Please, Please, Sue Ann--

Post it here! :)

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Well, POOH!!  I've got the diagram, but can't get it into jpg or gif format which is what has to happen for me to be able to post it!  bear_sad bear_sad  I'll keep working on it!  bear_shocked bear_shocked

Diagram.jpg  Okay - finally!  The length of the gusset between A and B should equal the length of the side head piece from A to B.  The measurement between A and C on the gusset should be the same as from A to C on the side head piece.  Since the flexible ruler is - well, flexible - you can bend it to fit the curves of the gusset and side head piece.  Hope that makes sense!!  bear_laugh

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Welcome Jill, I'm sure you'll love it here!!! Hopefully Sue Ann has helped solve your problem - she's fantastic isn't she?

Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Welcome Jill ! :D
Sorry I'm little late to post...
I'm glad you join ! this is realy great place to
talk about teddy bears and other stuff :D

Bear Hugs/Marie

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Hi Jill! Welcome to the greatest bear site around. These ladies are not only full of information for you but they are kind, sweet and just darn cute! We have a great bunch here and there is always room for more great people like yourself!:lol::D
Hugs Louise and Garnet Carrick

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks Sue Ann bear_laugh I haven't got a flexible ruler, but I think I'll mark up a piece of twine . . .

Eileen

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Hi Jill,
I save all my cereal boxes and bits of cardboard to draw round and make templates for my bears. I have self seal or plastic zip wallets with the name of the bear or a photo of him/her in it too. I try to alter the pieces each time i make a new bear so they are all individual, when i am cutting out cardboard bits the lounge floor is covered in bits!
I tend to make the head gusset half an inch bigger on medium/large bears so once it is tacked together its not going to be too short. You can always cut the remainder off but unfortunately not add to it! As i have found out in the past :(

Kerren

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Jill, a big welcome to the group . I do exactly the same a Kerren with the cereal boxes and I also leave a little extra length on the head gusset. Enjoy your time here we love to chat and are a little crazy at times. Enjoy! bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Jane

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks SueAnn for the drawing - I hope to try it this weekend.  I will share my results.
And thanks to the rest of you for the welcome and the longer gusset and cereal box tip.  I have been using my old folders at work to adhere my pattern pieces on and they work out well.  They would only end up in the trash so I am helping the environment.  Same thing with the cereal boxes.  I am thankful to have found such a warm, funny and friendly group.

Jill bear_laugh

Board footer