Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

OK- This is a really off topic subject, but have any of you ever totally changed your hair color? I was a blond this morning and now I'm a redhead. I like it but I don't look like me in the mirror yet. Does anyone ever get used to the change? (And how long did it take?  bear_ermm
Suzanne

Matthea Ontario

You'll get used to it! I've done a great many things to myself that changed my look. For me, by day three, I feel like the person in the reflection is me again. I just got a tattoo yesterday (by a good artist, but they did a bad job) and now I'm freaking out! I'll get used to it, and in a few weeks I'll go to the best guy in town (twice the cost) and get it fixed.

note to self: when doing something permanent, always get the best regardless of cost

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

I just went from blonde, mostly highlights to a nice med brown.  My husband likes brunettes....he said it looks 'okay', then reminded me he is color blind.  I wonder if he can see red.....maybe a nice shade of magenta.  bear_grin  I don't know what I'll try next.   :twisted:  :twisted: I've been thinking something really short may be fun.....
Joan

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I must be the only hairdresser on the planet to talk people out of drastic colour changes. I always make sure people really know what they're getting into when they do the big change...and I won't do it unless I think they are really up for it.

One thing is sure that if you have blonde hair most times the biggest shock is to go darker..and you can't go lighter again very easily without causing damage.

A Polish girl came in on New Years Eve...she spoke little English but enough to say that her friend had dyed her hair...when she took her hat off it was canary yellow at the roots and went through every colour of orange with breakage everywhere. She's dyed her lovely long hair from blonde to brown then tried to bleach it again as she hated it...what a mess

Oh well...It keeps me in business!!!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I have in the past , when I was younger done my hair blond...lasted for 3 days...did not look good on me at all... maybe it was because I could only get to the gold stage..yuck!
Then I dyed it Sparkling Sherry ( Clariol) that looked good ,but too red so I went with dark auburn..terriffic...but after awhile I changed it back to the original dark brown...more natural and less trouble and less damage to the hair.
You can get use to anything.

My aunt , a dark browner like me.cut her hair really short ( boy short) and  bleached her hair for years almost white ( platinun), her style was a brushed up the  back to the top of the head ( duck butt)  and in the front  swooped up and waved  to one side...looked great on her! She did it because she said it took very little time to do...in  the morning, She also had her eyebrows tatooed which I would never do as later they turn bluish...Winney

My hair  has turned  a dark gray and  streaks of silver is mixed now with dark brown  on the ends I  had dyed , its growing out .I started out as a very dark brown with reddish highlights as my mom is red head...I have 2 red headed sons.

OK... I am 65, hairdresser told me to keep going a lighter shade of brown  then  to go to blonde eventually , dark hair is harsh looking on older people...
Hmmm, I am just so use to the dark brown..I kept dying it for years  ... guess it's how we see our own image that we like to keep it ...always? ANd my hair is long and straight now...too much  to deal with so I put it up onmy head.

I have been ill for so many months  that I did not have the energy to do my hair, dye, cut or perm...so this is a real awaking  for sure ! I am thinking of going a lighter brown with frosted streaks, shorter hair and a body perm....wouldn't that be a change. Will I freak out when I first look into the mirror?

Deb Upstate New York

I agree with Matthea ... three days and you will recognize the face in the mirror!

nettie scotland
Website

I have had loads of colours,blonde ,red ,purple and brown.My own colour is a greeny yucky dark blonde.I have no grey yet (save for one up my right nostril???) at 47.
I was once puting henna on a friends hair while I had lightner on my own.I forgot the gloves and spent so long trying to get the colour off my hands that I forgot about my hair!!!I bleached it so much that it was like bri nylon.It was completely waterproof and I looked like Barbi -minus the lovely face and body.It would not absorb dye so in the end I got a crew cut.
My granny said I looked like "A not very nice girl" Poor granny was quite upset.Luckily I don't freak out at things like that as my hair grows at an incredible rate .

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I was born a red head but it was fire truck orangy red and of course I hated it.  You couldn't imagine the teasing in school.  So once I was out of the house and married I decided to go blonde.  I did that for a few years and decided to go back to my natural color but my hair has NEVER gone back to the natural color.  It is now kind of a dirty blonde!  I didn't realise that my hair color would come out forever!!  How does that happen?

Jane

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

eve2.jpgTalking of redheads look what my beautiful daughter did to her hair!

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Jane, Your daughter is like my daughter! She is at college now and I know she wants to dye the hair on one side of her part bright red and on the other side black! Her hair is normally brownish, but has a lot of gold and red highlights in it. She could do anything! but is an art student and has funky tastes.  bear_laugh
  I am getting used to my hair. My husband LOVES it so that helps my opinion a lot.

Suzanne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I have been a blonde, redhead, and thigs in between... I am a brunette... Just recently I decided not to dye my hair anymore... I would rather spend my money on other things... I also hated root growout BLEECH... I also figured that it really damaged my hair, that is what my stylist said too...

You will get use to color in a couple days and if it is a red color, red at least in my hair, always "calmed down" after a day or two bear_original

Look at the bright side, It could be green!... I accidentially did that once... it was brown with a green tinge... I had my hair blonde and tried to dye it back to brown... luckily the gal in teh beauty supply store knew her stuff and said that I just had to add a bit of red... Kind of like pics of bears, if a bear is too greenish when you take a pic, you need to add some red to balance the color LOL

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

What a thread!

I was every color (9almost!)
Black, white, blonde, orange, red, brown, purple, pink, silver-ash, only except of green, cause i was blue too.  bear_laugh  bear_laugh
i was thinking actually about green, but desided not to shock parents after monthes of being ORANGE.
That was the brightest orange I ever saw. People on the streets stopped me and asked DO I SHINE IN THE DARK!!!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

It takes me a couple days to look at myself not to like at total stranger..  bear_whistle  bear_laugh

Changing color damage your hair. So I better experiment on my mohair bears!  bear_whistle  bear_laugh

Julia :hug:

P.S. I'm blonde right now. I should I admitt that i've been blonde for about a year..have to change the color!  bear_grin

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
plushkinbear wrote:

That was the brightest orange I ever saw. People on the streets stopped me and asked DO I SHINE IN THE DARK!!!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

LMAO!!!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original What an adventurous, multicolored lot we TTers are!

I've been dying my grey for several years, and hate the way it looks lighter at the roots and almost black at the ends. Keeping it short helps, but I'm getting really sick of the hassle.

So do any of you hairdressers have some advice for someone who wants to let her hair go silver? Can I use something to take the color out, or do I just have to wait? My Hubs likes it better brown, but he'll live.

Jane, my daughter Caroline went purple--bright purple--while she was in high school. She also had a nose ring and a belly-button ring. I was with her for the piercings and helped her bleach and redye her hair. It wasn't that I loved it, but I loved her, and knew that nothing in the world would stop her. She's now the best little homebody you could imagine! She even criticizes me for all my extravagances!  bear_whistle Which means that I probably raised her right, but there are times when I'd like to whup her upside the head!!!

Eileen

Matthea Ontario

Sounds like I'd get along with your daughter too Eileen!
I have a bunch of tattoos (i'll be getting my whole arm done soon), a belly button and tongue rings. I've had hair all colours, and no hair at all. A mohawk for my wedding. But I'm really normal! I like to bake and sew. I'm not a partier. I'd rather make cookies, then eat those cookies. bear_original

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Wow Jane, your daughter's hair color is cute !!   bear_wub 

I am dark brown,  never tried big change before.....  :redface:
one time I've changed to dark brown + pink.
it was hard to see in room but it shine beautifully under the sunlight as pink in brown. I think it was near to HONEY PEACH(mohair color) but little more darker.
he he bear_smile 

When I get order ( not old, order ♪)
I would love to change it my hair color in
white+pink or white+silver.  bear_smile 

Hugs/Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

chicago20bear.jpgbear_laugh  NO HAIR?! Now that's brave, Matthea!

My eldest has a nice little tattoo on her shoulder. I've got to say I'm tempted . . .

Eileen

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'm not sure you can really be ready for the shock of dying your hair until it really happens.  I mean, you can *think* you're ready, but then there's always the first look in the mirror.

I do know there are some colour washes where you can dye your hair for 3 days, and then wash it out if you don't like it.  I think that would be the easiest way to get over the 'shock', then you could decide if you like it or not.

Incidentally, I've always been a dirty dishwater blonde.  My hair's naturally gone lighter over the summer months (all that time standing out in the strong Midwest sun playing with horses  bear_rolleyes )  but then when I was a teen, and did all my swimming, my hair turned GREEN!!!   bear_shocked  Other people seemed to not notice or comment, but to me, I felt like I had MOSS growing on my hair for Pete's sake!! At least its tamed down over the years.

I did want to try being a redhed, and flew the idea past hubby...  bear_happy His face was a picture, and he vehemently said NO.   bear_rolleyes  But maybe that's because he's a redhead, and he only wants one of us in the family that way  bear_grin

I'm so glad your hubby likes his 'new and improved' wife  bear_tongue  and that you're getting more comfortable with your new look  :hug:

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I used to color my hair all the time. It's so funny when my mom is looking through old pics and my hair is always a different color. I haven't colored it in years. I think because I'm such a homebody now!

I'm naturally a strawberry blonde. I've tried all sorts of different reds and I was a very dark brunette for quite some time. That happened because I tried one of those colors that is supposed to wash out after a week or so. Well, after one wash it was greenish brown. I was in my partying prime so I couldn't bear to have green hair until it washed out so I had it permanently colored dark brown. And as Jenny talked about, was a big mistake. Trying to go back to normal ruined my hair.

I've never been real blonde though. Recently I fiddled around with the idea of trying it but Daniel is very opposed to it.  bear_ermm It is my hair and I don't get any say when he goes into the bathroom and comes out bald 15 minutes later!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Eileen I love that tatoo! That is my kind of bear.

Jane, WOW, is all I can say about your daughters hair...wow!

Suzanna, I too and blonde and would like to go strawberry blonde but my hubby thinks I shouldn't...it's only hair right?  You can always change it back. OR... you can try one of those temporary hair dyes that wash out in a few days.

I had my hair "professionally" darkened several years ago becuase it was too bleach-blonde-looking....well...they used an ash tone and my hair turned out army green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I freaked out and bought Horse Shampoo...yes, that's right...HORSE shampoo from Fleet Farm and washed my hair 12 times.  It still took a while to look normal. bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Board footer