Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

mimzy1foot.jpgSculpey? (How would I attach it?)
Needlefelting? (Shade it with white to get the 'shiny effect?)
Trapunto? (I don't have 20 hours which is what it would take me as I've never done it before!)

I have 4 feet like this to do on the 'Movie Bunnies'

HELP!!!

Any suggestions are VERY welcome!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne, You could do pads like these all three ways that you mentioned.  Needle felting would probably take the longest and yes, white painted highlights would work.

Sculpy clay would be great.  I personally think it would not feel as nice as other methods but for what you are trying to achieve it would work great.  How to attach?  Glue.  E6000.  Score the bottom of each peice before glueing. This stuff is bomb-proof.  It'll work like a charm.

Then you can add even more realisim by hand painting small dots.  I would use at least two to three colors starting with the darkest and ending with the lightest to get really nice higlights.

Maybe someone els has some ideas?

Best of luck Daphne.  Can't wait to see you bunnies.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Hi Daphne,

I agree that any of the options you mentioned would work.  Ultrasuede trapunto would probably work really well for this, though I can understand not wanting to learn a new technique with your short time frame.  You could also just handpaint the pawpads onto an ultrasuede base, if you don't mind the lack of a 3D effect, it would certainly be the fastest and would look really nice.  Alternately, do you like the look of something like this?

tommytoes.jpg

This is a technique my mother uses on her kitten toes, it gives a very pleasing 3D effect and is probably easier than trapunto.  I know the basics of what she does, she essentially creates a little pillow of ultrasuede for each pad, stuffs it with the tiniest bit of polyfill to puff it out, then stitches the finished pad carefully onto the foot.  I can  ask her for the exact techniques she uses, if it's something that looks good to you.

Cheers,
Kelly

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for the suggestions! Your mom's cat is adorable! Knowing my hand sewing skills, I don't think I'd get enough of a uniform look using her technique! All of the other suggestions are great!

Did you get my email about the brown synthetic? (I keep trying to send PMs but get the 60 second error message so I give up!)

NY

Hi Daphne,

Yup, I got your last email and will get the synthetic you wanted mailed out today.  Enjoy  bear_original

Kelly

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thank you!

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

To Judi

The white bear in your avatar - how did you make those lovely foodpads. Is it Sculpy clay or
is it needlefelted.

Hugs Birgitte

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Judi - where do I get E6000 glue??? Harware store? Craft shop?

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Daphne,
Most of your craft shops should have E6000.  Micheal's, Jo-Ann's and fabric stores.  I do think the hardware stores have it also but have never paid close attention.
Donna

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Bottle? Tube? Big? Small? Aren't I a pain??? I just don't have time to dawdle around a craft store this week! Perhaps I could find a pic of what it looks like online.  :doh:  Hey, am I smart or what!? (Don't answer!  bear_laugh  )

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

all I can think of is trapunto...and then colour in with paint?  I've done trapunto before on rufus and it works well, around an hour a foot :)
xo sarah

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

In a silver tube with white E6000 then some black if I remember correctly.  Google it!  If I weren't packing to leave I would go find mine.  About the size of a toothpaste tube.
Donna

NY

Here it is (I see this all the time at craft, jewelry and hobby stores):
http://www.dickblick.com/zz238/02/

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I stumbled across my last tube in the craft section at Walmart of all places! 

I've never done the sculpy, but I'd say that's going to be your fastest method with the best results for this one...

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

Kelly:

Your kitten is beautiful.  She looks so real, she would confuse my cats, they would think I got a new kitten. 
:hug:
Laurie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Have E6000...  (and a bunch of other goodies I just HAD to have while at Michaels!!)

Thank you!!  :dance:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

NARNI_10.jpgGlad you found it Daphne.

Gosh I have been so busy I now have to play catch up!

Birgittie, The white bear in my avatar has Needle felted paw pads.  I'll post a larger picture for you.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thank, Judi. The needlefelted pads was my first preferance but my hands are already killing me from maratho work sessions every day that I can't hold a felting needle long enough to do 20 pads. Sculpey is how I'm going... got what I needed for clay, paint, etc. yesterday along the the glue. I'm not a painter so that part will be interesting. At least the bunnies are only 12 in. now so smaller pads to make and paint.

Must get back to work!!! This is my shortest visit to TT yet!!!!

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Hi Judi

They look very nice. I have to try it some day. Do you just needlefelt on ultrasuede?

Hugs Birgitte

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original No wonder I couldn't find E6000--I've been looking at Home Depot and the like! Thanks--I'm saved.

Judi, it's such a treat to see your bears . . .

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Those are all some great looking pads !.....Winney

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

wait wait wait--

why do pads at all?
real bunnies don't have pads on their feet - see?

20021108-boomer-bigfeet-1.jpg

cunihfeet.jpg

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hmmm, she's right...not for realistic bunnies anyway...I'd save those great tootsies for my cats...Oh My ..Rita Harwood of Woodland Bears make the most awesome kitties with realistic tootsies, claws  and the faces are to die for too....well. the whole kitty is just awsome.... I must have one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Winney

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kim P...... can I send those photos to the props guy????

I'm about to throw this darn bunny right out the window!!! I think I'm trying too hard!!
I just sent him an email to tell him that real bunnies don't have pads. As I haven't started on those (saving the best til last... HA!) perhaps he'll decide he doesn't want them!! What child wants a bunny with clay pads anyway? Or needle felted for that matter or trapunto or........

Feeling very exasperated at the moment!   bear_wacko  bear_shocked

NY

Hey Daphne, did I show you my bunny with shaded pawpads?  Can't remember for the life of me  bear_wacko

evapads1.jpg
evapads2.jpg

Just copic markers on ultrasuede.  Easiest solution ever!
Hugs,
Kelly

Board footer