Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Hi
I'm new to this board.  I had just begun to participate on the Edinburgh board when it went out of order.  But I discovered you wonderful ladies here.
I still pretty new to bear making.   From the first time I saw an artist bear at a craft show I was hooked.  I bought books, magazines, went on line and started collecting and making bears.  My imagination was more developed that my skill for a while but now they are starting to come together.   Now I just need to learn photography, about websites, self promotion, etc.
I'm wondering how I will ever part with my bears to sell them.  I have made some for friends but the only way I was able to do that was to tell myself "this is Debbie's bear" from the moment I started designing it.   Did any of you have this problem when you first started out?

Sandi

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Sandi,

WELCOME to the group.  I just joined last week ( after lurking for awhile). The people here are SO wonderful, helpful and supportive of everyone and everything.
They are all so talented and willing to share tips and hugs when needed.  You will love it, I do so far.

I have only been making bears for 2 years, but I felt the same as you when I started selling.  It is hard to let go of something you spent so much time creating.  It's like giving away one of the kids :o.  I have kept a photo album of all the bears that I've made so it makes it a little easier.  So far all of my adoptive moms have been great, and I feel like my bears are well loved and appreciated in their new homes too.  That inspires me to keep creating.

Have fun with this group.  You'll learn so much and make great friends bear_laugh

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hooorrrayyy!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I am so glad you guys came to play.  This is a wonderful place to do it.  Everyone is supportive, helpful and will give great advice.  But here's the kicker:

everyone is kind, "and seldom is heard, a discouraging word...."  and the bears all come out to play....

And the Gollys too!

Dilu

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hi to you both. Dilu is right, there is so much warmth here. Don't worry, everyone lurks, then you can't help but want to more involved.
I suppose I am lucky in the 'not wanting to part with bears' debate. I started as a maker not as a collector. It gives me a buzz to see what people like in my bears. When someone buys one of my bears, it is going to someone who sees something in them. Its that 'something' that keeps me making more. Because I am never sure what it is!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hello, Sandi . . . and a big welcome to our "family" here.  Hope you enjoy yourself, and I know we will love having you join in!  I also am very pleased when someone adopts one of my creations . . . as Amanda said very well, it says that somebody is taken by the expression, or finds something meaningful in having that particular piece - a connection!  The more bears you make and have adopted, the easier it will become, because you know there is a wellspring of creativity within you that will be producing indefinitely!  That's exciting!!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Welcome Sandi and Tammy,
                                                       No more lurking now ,you will have to join in the fun. I know you will both enjoy it and the more bears you make and sell ,it will get much easier. When I started, I did not like my own bears very much at all , but the more I made my confidence grew, so parting with them was made easier,in the fact that someone loved my bears. But we're all so different and thats what makes this group so interesting.

Have Fun Girls. Hugs from Scotland  Rita xxxx

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Thanks for the Welcome.   I've been busy checking out all your websites and admiring your beautiful bears and gollies.   You are right Amanda  - the collector in me wants to keep my creations along with wanting every other bear I see. 

Sandi

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Hi Sandy and Tammy. All the ladies here (Oh and one Gentleman, the Old guy. however Garnet does not usually speak on the board:rolleyes:) ) are superb I tell you! Each one of these sweet souls have ideas words of encouragement, giving hearts and awsome talent. You can learn a great deal here.

We have been making our bears and giving them as gifts for years but are very new to the business of bears. Once the website was up and running things started to go. It is important to always be seeking new ways to market your name , bears and your talent and by comming to a board like this one is a big part of doing that.

You need to get your name out there. This forum however is so full of love and support that you will always be able to find words of encouragment and a reason to go forward.

Hugs Louise and Garnet Carrick

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Sandi!!!
Glad you decided to jump in! :D:D:D
I hope you'll post a photo of your bears for us... (I've seem them, girls, and they are darling!!)

I have to admit, I cried over parting with the first few bears I sold! In fact, at my very first show I was just a blubbering fool.... OK, not in front of everyone but I was so sad and so happy! My first sale was the one bear that I loved most of the bunch I brought with me. I was so happy someone else loved him as much as I did and so sad to see him go. I gave him and his new mommy a great big hug and through watery eyes watched them walk away into the crowd.:(

Now, I make each bear with the mind set that they are going up for adoption. That seems to work. Besides, I have no room for more bears!!!! I will make an exception if an extraodrinary bear emerges and looks at me and says "Mommy?" as soon as he's finished. The ol' heart does have quite a soft spot. My husband is the one who doesn't like parting with my bears, though!!! :lol:

Anyway, glad you're here - have fun - and thanks for adding to the "Bear Artists of New England" count here. We are now TWO!! :lol:

Lots of hugs to you and to Tammy, too! Sue-Mei is absolutely adorable!;)

Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Welcome Tammy and Sandi!  You'll love it here, I'm sure. 

It becomes less hard to part with bears when bear sales form a part (or all!) of one's income source.  Gotta pay the bills!  I admit, though, there are still times when certain bears call to me and I badly wish I could keep them.  I have only two of my own pieces in my personal collection... for now!  It's very fun to collect the work of OTHER artists, too.

I'm glad you joined in and look forward to more of your posts.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Welcome Sandi!!!!!  I'm sure you'll love it here, it's fantastic, the ladies are the BEST!

The very first bear I sold was my favourite, and still is one of my favourites.  It was difficult sending him to the other side of the world.. but I've become great friends with his new Mum.. so it's all good in the end!!

You'll get used to it, and if there are any that you just cant part with - keep him!!  You'll never be able to make another one "just like that one!"

Good luck with the bear business, and it's great that you ahve introduced yourself

Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Welcome Sandi and Hello Tammy , everyone :D

I also need to learn photography, how to make great website ans self promotion!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You can find a good information in previous post. Ladies (and Gentlemen) here is all so wonderful ! :D

have a fun !
Hugs/Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Welcome, Sandi and Tammy :D

Sandi, I've only been bearmaking for a few months, and I still need a camera (plus camera skills) and a website and a hug of bears to put on it. I've just started Nancy Tillberg's "The Business of Bears" course. It's great. I recommend it highly. She really helps you get your head and business skills together.

Tammy, I love your website. I double love your 'Dad's pajamas bears'--what a great idea! I'm still wearing some of my late Dad's shirts and sweaters. Maybe I should turn them into bears before they fall apart!

Eileen

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Everyone,
Thanks again for the warm welcome !

Eileen, thanks for looking at my website and the nice comments.  I love the idea that bears can be made from almost any material.  I love using fur, but making memory bears from a loved ones garment, pet blanket, bathrobe or whatever is so rewarding too.   I've made bears from my dad's shirts for my brother, mom ,aunts and myself after he died suddenly of a heart attack in Aug 2003.   It is nice to have something of his that I can hug on those many days when I miss him terribly.  My bear sits in my living room above my dad's picture. 

Hugging a shirt seems a bit weird, but when it becomes a teddy it makes it "normal" to hug. bear_happy

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WELCOME TO THE BOARD! - this board starts to become like a second home - addictive! It has been hard for me to part with my bears but I am finding now that I have made over a dozen or so, it is easier.... I actually was a little upset when my mother-in-law decided to take my first ever bear and another one that I grew fond of but they are now happy with her in Florida... but that is good so then she can show her neighbors and maybe they will call for some!  he he he.... I right now have a curio cabinet that has all of my creations in it - as a matter of fact, i am running out of space!  I need to get my hubby to start listing my bears on ebay so I can make some money to support my habit (bear making of course!)

Mandy SambrookBears
Essex

A big Hi to Sandi and Tammy.  I am fairly new too.  You will love being part of this group.  The only down side is that it can be adictive!  I am often torn by needing to get on with my bears and wanting to join in with the chat here! I must admit that I don't visit half as much as I would love to. Boo Hoo!  I know what you mean Sandi, when you say it is hard to say goodbye to your creations when so much love and time goes into making them.  My children are always saying "can't you keep that one" or "can I have that one"!  I would say though that I get a great deal of pleasure in seeing them go to good homes.  Welcome once again.
Beary best wishes and hugs
Mandy

clare14 Country Bears
England

Welcome to you all!!

It's so much fun here you just won't want to leave!!   I find myself just sneaking a look, even when I'm at work!!  Have fun!!

Board footer