Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Laura and Shelli--off to Radio Shack to try my luck!
Eileen

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Laura and Shelli

I purchased 100 of those small clips from the E-Bay guy for $13.00 plus shipping.  Going to give them a try.  I've got to find  a faster way of getting my bears made.    I'll try anything once.

Wanda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

That's pretty much my approach, too, Wanda.  Anything to get more made, quicker.  That is, when I get done dinking around on the computer...!

I bought a ton of the clips from Radio Shack this weekend, after discovering that Orchard Supply only had them available in very pricey packs of, like, five.  They work well but I HATE HATE HATE unpinning while I sew -- talk about getting slowed down! -- which I think Judi or Laura said they do with their clips.  It's just not for me.  So to circumvent that annoyance,  I changed my sewing foot from the normal one to a narrow one, allowing me to sew right around the edges without removing the clips at all until I finished.

I found the clips particularly wonderful for attaching footpads (see PRECIOUS).  Before, I would tack the pads on in at least four but usually six places, and then either machine stitch or backstitch (depending on size.)  But with these clips and for PRECIOUS, I just put a ton of them around the edges and ran everything through my machine without a single tacking stitch at all!  Worked like a charm!

Good luck!

Macomb, IL
Website

Shelli,

I have never used a regular foot on my sewing machine when stitching bears.   I can't see where I'm going at the curves.  So I always use a zipper foot.  It is small and you have a clear view of your seam allowance.     I guess I thought everyone used the zipper foot and was surprised to see Laura using what looked like a buttonhole foot which is clear plastic and does give one a better view.

I adjust so that the needle is coming down on the right side of the foot (while seated and facing your sewing machine), so I'm hoping with the clips, I can sew without the pinning and perhaps without taking out the pins.

My sewing machine repairman always reprimands me about sewing over the pins.  Well, sometimes it can't be helped.  Hee hee.

I do pin and baste my heads as I want the nose to be as perfect as I can get it.   A lot can be covered up with the stitching of the nose, but I like to start with it straight.   And I usually baste the footpads so I can get a symetrical shape without zigs or zags that usually show up when I start to stuff the foot or paw.  I know this takes time, but the first thing a collector sees is that cute little head and I think it is time well spent.  I'll just have to find faster methods for other steps in the process.

Wanda

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Wanda..I started using the zipper foot years ago because I had problems with my maching keeping to a 1/4" seam...now I know for sure that all the seams are the same...

Hmmm, Funny....I sew so the foot rides along the  fabric raw edge ( on the right) ..... so my needle stitches on the LEFT of the foot.......OH NO ! Not another opposite from you thing I do !!!! Watch out for Shelli..she's gonna come along with a big stick to whack me with...LOL..

OOPs...I just went and looked at my machine, I'm wrong.......my needle sews right thru the middle of that foot
( there is a slot cut out there ) so...the edge of the foot runs about 1/8 " away for the raw edge of the fabric. WHEW ! Now, I won't get whacked.....but that foot works really well...especially around curves ....Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I think you're all nuts. :D:D:D
I've been using a regular old metal foot.  I can't see a thing.  Laughing here...

Actually, on some of my pieces I actually DRAW -- with Micron pen -- the 1/4" seam allowance so I get it perfect and don't have to rely on my eye, or on the sewing foot.  I do this around the muzzle, up to about where the eyes would insert... and also, on the footpads and pawpads.  It keeps me '"in line."  If you'll pardon the pun.

I didn't even think to use the zipper foot before I was forced to with that alligator clip purchase last weekend, although I can't really say why not.  (PS  Until Wanda mentioned it, I didn't know it was called a "zipper foot."  That pretty much tells you, right there, how many zippers I've installed.) It just didn't occur to me. 

And I'm not all that adept at sewing in general (or at least I wasn't before bearmaking,) so I forgot that a person can adjust the needle to sew left, middle, or right of the foot.  I might have to try out that way of yours, Wanda, with the needle to the edge.  I can eyeball a 1/4" seam allowance fairly reliably at this point.

See... on this board, ya learn something new every day!

Macomb, IL
Website

Shelli and Winney,

Left, right or middle, I guess it's just a matter of what works for each of us, but it is nice to learn there are other ways too.

So happy I could contribute a tidbit to the board.   I can hardly wait for the clips to arrive so I can try them out.

Wanda

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shelli wrote:

And I'm not all that adept at sewing in general (or at least I wasn't before bearmaking,)

Speaking of what Shelli said.... how many of us have families that think we can quickly and easily alter clothing just because we can make bears??? bear_ermm  (I detest altering clothing and usually just wing it! .... need to finish altering my daughter's prom dress today...)

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:lol::lol:That's me!! I've got a pile of neglected mending and ironing.

Basting with staples and clips gives me ideas about how to whiz through the mending, though!!

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Wanda Those colors you used for  your avatar are really pretty and especially goes very well with the gray colors of your cute bear.........Winney

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Echo that for me, too, Wanda . . . great avatar - is that Shelli's talent at work?

Macomb, IL
Website

Yes Girls,

That is the marvelous work of our Shelli ...isn't she talented?

Wanda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Alright already... criminies... :P

But... Thanks for the notice and mention.

bear_laugh:D:D:D:D

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

PS  I like the "our Shelli" reference.  It feels like home!

Board footer