Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Dilu,
             After being my cyber nurse for so long ,I hope you are now recovering from all your nasty  headaches etc. Are you having a rest from sewing or are we going to see a lot of them appearing to-gether??

Big Hugs Rita  and lots of love and Appreciation

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi Rita-  we are on the path to figuring the headaches out-Hormones! 

You guys would not believe how unbelievablky sensitive our bodies are to our hormones.  the guys think we are crazy but I am betting 90% of the time our hormones are out of whack and oh  my  goodness........

Anyway  my wonderful doctor and stout supportive honey ( stout as in stalwart not hefty, cuz he's not hefty he is a runner) we are very carefully adjusting to the correct levels. 

BUT the interesting thing is that before we adjust we have to clean my system-  that was scarry.....really really scarry.....I felt inside like I was going crazy....but because I was expecting it I didn't have the screaming mimis or anything like that- yet- just staying home, avoiding people, no driving no operating heavy machinery! bear_grin:lol::lol:  ( I really had my heart set on that huge pile driver they are using to fix the bridge  must weight 25 tons!)

RE: gollies, i just this morning finished Dottikins of Ozziland.  Except her shoes haven't come yet.  Well I haven't ordered them yet!~:D  Today!

I tried to be faithful to the poster of Judy Garland- I could post her without her shoes but I would rather wait until they get here, cuz I think the effect would be better.

I am starting of Patsy Clinikins today.....

I have 12 more babies to get dressed.

How do you all do it?

How do we get everything done and maintain our sanity.

Hmmmmm

What makes us think we have an sanity! bear_grin:lol::lol:

Gollygeewhizzikins love to all!

Dilu

Ayrshire, Scotland.

latest-016.jpgHi Dilu,
                      You always make your posts so funny to,I know that you are suffering,but I think you are one brave lady. It must not be me you were talking about ,getting things done. I must be one of the slowest bear artists around. I can Comfortably do 2 a week ,3 if I am using old patterns. I am such a pain to myself ,that everything has to be double-stitched etc. Now that I have made a bear again ,I am in the mood to make a few more. You take care of yourself and I,ll catch up with you soon. Look forward to Dottikins with Shoes on her feet.xx

Big Hugs From Rita xxxxxxxx

ps.Just For you.

Awww Rita love the picture!  You remember that this wonky family is into bagpipes.....

Posted Dottie anyway as her shoes are back ordered.....

Hope things are going well

Hugs

dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Awww Rita love the picture!  You remember that this wonky family is into bagpipes.....

And men in kilts! :lol:

I'm really glad you're feeling better, Rita and Back to Bears!!

Eileen

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Rita ! Thank you for great picture :)

I just started to make one bear for " Teddy 4 Charity". She of He is about 15inch and I finished cutting the mohair..its long way to go here.  bear_ermm  and I also making one polar bear, that is from Nancy's web-class and I was suppose to finish this by 31JUL..oops.
I need more time time time and allot of
chocolate :lol:
Hugs/Marie

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Marie,
                    Snap, I too am making a Polar Bear, I just love them, I have a small collection of them myself too.
Time, what is time.  I try do something each day that is creative ,somedays it works and somedays it doesn't.  We can share Polar Piccies once they are completed..

Hugs Rita xxxxxx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Here's a picture of some of my polar bears for you to see. They now live in over in America.
mumbaby5.jpgMotherson2.jpg

Jane

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oh Jane they are beautiful!!:)

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Wow, Jane :D

What a gorgeous pair! I love the toes. How does the mama close her mouth?

Eileen

Oh Jane too too wonderful....I love your mom and lil bear-  wonderful.  Lucky who ever has them now. 

Marie....good for you!  chocolate always helps!

Eileen and Rita;

sometimes being creative is in the trhinking-planning-and letting the subconscious work.....so guess what?!  You two creative ladies are always being creative because our poor brains never stop....sometimes unfortunetly.....

I woke up my honey this morning-about 4 am with a really great idea.....hmmmmm....he is such a good sport, how does he put up with me?

Dilu

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh I love those bears...how so cute a mouth mommie has...Winney

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Jan, they are very gorgeous.  Such happy little souls.
Thanks for sharing!

Danni

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Rita, you scottish lass... is it true that it's traditional for men go commando (translation:  sans underpants) under their kilts?  And that the sporrin is part of the regalia at least in part to keep that skirt of theirs from flying up in the breeze, thus flashing their privates?

I was told this story -- sounds like an urban legend to me, frankly -- by one of my fiance's workmates waaaaay back in the early 90's, when I was living in Zurich, Switzerland.  Michael, who is part Scottish(mom is German mostly, and some Scottish; dad is, of all things, Cuban), bought himself his "clan"'s attire when he made the trip across the water to Scotland.  And came back with all sorts of stories about ENORMOUS glasses of beer and very friendly folk he could barely understand.  And, of course, this underpants thing, and the sporrin story.

Do tell!  ;):o:lol::rolleyes::D

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Rita, do tell us the truth! :lol:

I'm married to a Scot, and he won't tell me! I get jokes, not answers. He's got his kilt and sporrin etc. packed away in mothballs. The joke is from one of the old Goonies, I think. Spike . . . somebody. Question: Is anything worn under the kilt? Answer: No, it's all in perfect working order.

Good idea, Shelli. Woman to woman, Rita . . . . ? :D

Eileen

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Eileen,
                   It is Traditional for Scots not to wear anything under the kilt, and Yes, the idea was that the Sporran was worn to stop the kilt blowing up,but also,there are no pockets in a Kilt so it actually serves 2 purposes. I did once hear a story about a Kiltie who wore full Highland Dress, for a regimental function and they all had to walk over a mirror like tile on the floor ,and this was to check that they were all commando. I was at Isle of Arran Highland Games last Saturday and the Heavy weight men tossing the caber and putting the shot had trunks on.  If I hear anymore stories I,ll keep you informed.He He

Hugs Rita xxx

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin I knew it. Mirror, eh? Thanks a bunch, Rita!! :o

And keep feeling better, ok?

Eileen

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Thank you Rita  for the beautiful pics! So glad you are feeling better. We missed you terribly! . Jane what absolutely beautiful bears!

Hugs Louise

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hey, I had a thought!  Maybe the commando thing originated as a way for men in skirts to hang on to their raw masculinity, since it sounds like there's not only the awkwardness of the dudes-in-skirts thing going on, but also, that they have to carry a purse (sporrin)!  I didn't know the sporrin was a purse/pocket like thing.  I figured it was where they kept their liquor store or something, like some human St. Bernard with a bagpipe.

Speaking of bagpipes... I took a Celtic folklore class in college (which I found delightful, but loathed my instructor, who was such a poser, so I have mixed memories of that course.)  Anyway, one of the students took the class to learn more about his heritage on a collegiate level because he was of Scottish descent and had spent many years mastering -- and I do mean mastering -- the bagpipes.  One day the professor -- relaxed for a change -- took us outside to hear this student, who was all of maybe 20 years old (if that) play the most lilting and beautiful melodies for us, in lieu of lecture that day.  It was sunny and gorgeous and we were on this little patch of green grass in the middle of UCLA's enormous campus, smack in the center of Southern California's wider Los Angeles area.  Very surreal, and beautiful.  I think they sound great.

What's the local take on the ol' bagpipes?  Are they something every kid learns in school... like the recorder, here in California? bear_happy  Or are you all, like, "Enough already!"

Loving my international studies,

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Jane, love those polars. Thanks for sharing!!!
Heather

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Shelli,
                   Bagpipes are not taught in school as part of the curriculum, but in the Western Isles of Skye , Mull Tirre and of course my beloved homeland of Islay( Where all the good Malt Whisky comes from). In Ayrshire too , where I now live ,there are lots of Pipe Bands. My brother who has lived in Australia for 43 years played the pipes ,but he was taught at the College of Piping in Glasgow as a young boy.  I do sing Gaelic Songs as I was taught to sing at a very early age,and still occasionally sing at concerts. So I am truly a very Scottish Lass.

Hugs Rita xxxx

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Very cool and interesting!  And do you speak Gaelic, too, or just know it from the lyrics of songs?  It's SUCH a gorgeous language/dialect.  Isn't Irish Gaelic also completely different from Scottish Gaelic?

I'm actually about 1/4 Irish by descent -- quite a few generations back, three or so; gramma was maiden-named McClosky.  I know that's not the same as MacGregor, but it's as close as I can manage from Chico, California.  Plus, when I lived in Zurich, I got only one shot at visiting the UK -- for, like, two days -- and did the usual London/Buckingham Palace (from the exterior, and even got within five feet of the Queen since she drove by in her limo)/Stonehenge thing.  I would have loved to have gotten to Scotland and Ireland.  Green pastures, rocky shores, pounding waves... all the alcohol a girl could drink.  Laughing here...

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Shelli,

I actually got to stay in Scotland for a week twice, once shortly after I was married and once after my first daughter was born and my mother-in-law was terminally ill. I loved it--rolling hills, lochs, sheep all over the place, ocean, very very nice people. I'm a bit of a sheep fanatic, so it was some days before I stopped freaking out and trying to hug one every time we passed a flock.

Hmm. I think the sporrin's too small for any sort of whiskey supply. John never learned the pipes in the school band. He was so tall that they put him on the drum. He marched at the rear with a huge drum in front of him and a leopard skin over his shoulder!

Did you know that 'Amazing Grace' was originally a traditional pipe tune, and that the words were written much later by a reformed English slave trader named John Newton? True.

Eileen

DSC00617-3.JPGHERE'S AN OLD TINTYPE OF GRANDMA SPENCER- who died in 1968 at 90 years of age.
HER MAIDEN NAME WAS SWAN AND THIS WAS HER WEDDING PICTURE.

opps caps lock sorry I am really not screamming at you

My dad wore his kilt and all to his wedding.  Mom being a bit of a stuffy Teutonic type wasn't amused, but had I been invited I would have loved it.  He even had his friends provide the music.

Mendleshon's wedding march in bagpipes......it'd put the fear of God in me had I heard it.  Dad was one of those with te brightest red hair too.....

gotta go-

Dilu

Ayrshire, Scotland.

My Oldest Daughter has  the loveliest Red Hair and hated it whilst at school. Everyone else admired it though. Loved the picture of your Mum and for some reason, I could just imagine them being a beautiful couple. I could even hear the music!!!!!!!!!!.  Big Hugs from Rita and Sunflower Sue.xxxx

Board footer