Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

My boys decided to have a room rearrangement this morning and have 'reclaimed' the part of their bedroom cupboards where I had stored my real fur pieces for that rainy day when I get time to have a go.
As it turns out, their cleanout is very timely as some of my fur pieces have blue mould spots on the backing. I did have them hanging up on hangers but at some stage they have been knocked down and have been on the floor in the cupboard so the air wasn't circulating around them.
I know you aren't supposed to wash real fur pelts, so does anyone have any suggestions on how I can clean the pelts and get the mouldy smell out of them? The fur is rabbit I think, and is in very good condition...apart from the mold. bear_cry

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I would consult a Furrier... I don't know if there is anything you can do.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Hayley
You can hang them outside or try a dryer sheet in a plastic bag with the fur for a few days. Natural fur is not supposed to be inside plastic but I have done it for a few days with no ill effects
Hugs
Gail

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hayley, I'm not sure that there is much you can do about the mold either.  It is a shame , but maybe a furrier can professionally clean it for you ???    I think what Gail suggested is a good idea for the smell ,and I think you only have to worry about it being in plastic for extended periods.   

Good Luck !

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Hi Hayley

I have read somewhere here at TT to put it in the freezer.
It would take the smell away.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

By the backing, do you mean the lining or the fur itself?  When a fur coat smells, much of the odor will be trapped in the lining.  If you can remove all the lining and keep the fur hanging in a nice, airy place for a while, this should help the odor.  If it's the fur itself that got moldy, I would worry that it may not be salvageable.  Tammy is right, you can try getting it professionally cleaned.  And make sure your fur is completely dry before trying anything with plastic, or I think you may wind up with an even bigger mess.

Good luck!
Kelly

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

I agree with bringing it to a professional for cleaning. I had a similar problem once and nothing I tried myself solved the problem. Good Luck. Let us know what finally works.
~Kathy

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

That's for the advice girls, I so appreciate it!

The mold spots are not extensive...they are just occasional like the ones you get on bread that is going stale. I wonder if I could get away with spongeing them off with a damp cloth? Then I'd just be left with the smell...which it sounds like I may be able to get rid of with airing>
I'm not familiar with dryer sheets. What are they?
I don't really want to go for the option of getting the fur professioanlly cleaned if I can help it....for one thing this is just rabbit fur..not expensive mink, and I'd imagine a professional would charge an arm and a leg to clean it.
Kelly, the actual fur side is perfectly fine...it's just the pelt backing part where the mold is. No lining involved...these pieces are just tanned and nothing else. The pelts are lovely and supple. One I get the smell out, I'm going to make some fur bears before it goes moldy again!!! What about something like "Febreeze" that is designed to spray onto fabrics to remove odour??
Kathy..I hope I have better luck than you.  bear_sad

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Hayley
In Canada they sell dryer sheets in a box. You tear one off and put it in the dryer when you dry your clothes. They are scented or non scented
Hugs
Gail

Board footer