Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

My Auntie gave me her mothers Seal Fur Coat, which she figured out to be about 72 years old, to make her a bear.  I made her a 16 inch bear which she loved.  I gave her the bear the night before a Porcelain Doll and Bear Show which she had some dolls in and she pestered me to put some bears in, which I did.  The next day when the show opened I attended and was extremely surprised when she put the Seal Bear in the Show as well!!!  I hadn't given the bear a name and let her decide whether it was a girl or boy - to my surprised she named her Julie - after her mother!  I never did know her mothers real name as she passed away when I was a little girl.

Well now that I have bored you with all these details my question is - I still have a considerable amount of coat left and I have promissed to make her another bear or 2 out of what is left.  What I really really want to do is make her a Panda Bear.  So I want to find a white fur which is as dense as the seal and approximately the same length 1/2".  I don't want any pelt lines if possible.  Does anyone have any ideas what type of fur Im looking for as I am no expert on real fur.

Thanks

Jane

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Jane, what a wonderful story!  Truly wonderful.  We had quite a post of real fur bear stories...and this is just as good.

My but you are ambitious.....I guess since I have only made 3-4 real furbears (I have 2 that aren't done yet) I would be afraid to try a panda....I will be so excited to see what you come up with-this will be wonfurful

Dilu

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Ben-Ji.jpgHi Jane,
Hey a question that I can actually answer.  I'm so excited bear_grin  I only use recycled fur....haven't yet ventured into mohair, but I'm getting the itch !
I recently made a 6" panda using a combination of seal and white mink.  However, white mink is hard to come by and can be expensive.  Just watch ebay or look at thrift stores.  Maybe you'll even find a mink collar or hat.   Mink is about the same length as the seal ( assuming your seal is similar to the one in my picture- if it shows up.)   

I spent the past 3 days sewing/creating .  Hubby took the kids  away so I could make bears !!!  He is such a sweetie !  I managed to make 2-8 " and 1-6" bear.  I am on a sewing high.......gotta love it !!!!  bear_laugh:D:D

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Wow Tammy.way to go girl,I think I'll hibearnate and see what I come up with bear_laugh

Blessings,shari.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Thanks Shari.  I'm sure Daphne will be relieved as they are going to be sent to her for the Sept. show.

I just saw your new avatar and LOVE that bear.  You do amazing open mouths.  I've only done one and may never attempt another.  What a pain with real fur !  Where did you ever get that fur ??? It is so nice.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Tammy that has to be the most beautifur panda that I have ever seen.  Wow!  I bow to your creativity and your craftswomen ship! 6 inches!!!!

Even Mr. Understatment was verbally and visually impressed!  WOW

I am truely impressed

dilu

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Jane, thank you for sharing sweet story !! :D
I wish we could see the bear  :P
When you make the panda bear,  would you post a photo ?   Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez ! :D

Thank you/ Marie

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Ben-Ji2.jpgOh Dilu  and Mr. Understatement  thanks so much for the kind compliment.  It really does mean so much to me.   This picture gives a better idea of the size. 

I love making the 6 and 8" bears the best.  So challenging, but rewarding ( if and when they turn out well bear_laugh )

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

What a great little Panda.  Ben-Ji is so so cute.  Yes I was thinking white mink but have looked for a few months with nothing in site.  Does all mink have pelt lines?  I wanted to make the panda about 12" and was concerned about the lines.

Thanks for the great pictures Tammy.

Marie,  I will definately post a pic once Im done.

Jane

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Tammy, I love your little Panda...he is gorgeous!! 
Jane, good luck on your panda.  I haven't made one before either but want to soon.
hugs sarah

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh Tammy, your bears are going to have the best time with Daphne!!! LOL I really hope my bears don't lead yours astray.  Your bears look as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouths... you can't say the same thing about my bears, unfortunatly.

Soooo cute!!!

Good luck with the panda Jane!

Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Tammy, Little Ben-ji is so adorable !! :)

I love your fur bears, they are all so cute ♪

Bear Hugs/Marie

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Thanks Jane , Sarah, Marie and Danni.  You are sweeties !  Danni , you are so wrong.......I LOVE your bears.  The eyes are so wonderful all close together like that.  I didn't realize that they were so small until Daphne mentioned it.  They are just precious, be proud !!!!

Jane, mink does have pelt lines but they are usually not noticeable on the fur side, just on the back of the pelt.  It shouldn't be a problem for a 12" bear.  I've used mink a lot and it is easy to work with.   Maybe you could find a sheared beaver
(much thicker pelt though)  or  sheared rabbit fur to use ??

Good luck bear_laugh

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

I do have a white rabbit coat but the density isn't the same and I wasn't sure if it would look okay.  Have you ever mixed the 2 before - Seal and Rabbit?

Jane

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Jane , I haven't mixed the 2.  I think rabbit would work best if it was sheared so it wasn't so long.  I'm not sure how it would look otherwise.  Hey, there is no harm in trying if you have lots of fur.  Just try the body piecing and if you don't like it take it apart until a better match comes along .   I have done some odd combinations, some work , some don't.  Just experiment ! bear_laugh

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Cute panda Tammy!

Jane not all mink is peiced together.  If you use pelts you get it in all one peice.  If you only want recycled fur then go for mink collar.

Natural white mink is actually a cream color.  You can get "brightened " mink which is pure snow white .  This is a process which is done during the tanning of the fur.  I have a brigthened white mink pelt.  It cost me $125.  This fur is gorgeous.

The very best rabbit fur is REX rabbit.  It has the feel of Chinchilla which is like putting your hand in flour.  It stands straight up.  Unfortunately it can be difficult to find.

Go to www.hideandfur.com   they have to most complete inventory of furs.

We'd love to see some pics Jane!

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

I might just do that and see - Great Idea!!  Now why couldn't I have thought of that;);)

I have just finished a 13" mink bear, well not quite he can't smell yet but he will be able to soon.  He - well Im saying he but he/she doesn't have a name yet.  Anyways the bear is going to a charity auction for HIV/Aids as well as another bear which is made out of a French Velour.

Thanks for your help and great suggestion.

Jane

Board footer