Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I got a Ted Menten book.  I found some of his ideas interesting.  So rather than dismiss the ideas outright I copied the pattern to try with a piece of synthetic that I knew I wouldn't use for anything else.

so there I am looking at the pattern pieces, and I start cutting, manipulating, fiddeling and suddenly realized that Miss Imbach, at Village Christian School on Victory Blvd in Burbank Ca. was right, in 1957, when she said, "Diane doesn't follow directions, she doesn't play well in the sandbox, and she runs with scissors"

So while I was fiddeling I was thinking- I'll bet the rest of gals were the same way.

So were you?

Louise?
Danni?
Jane?
Deb?
Shari?
Shelli?
Sue Ann?
Rita?
wanda....what about you?
Clare?
Maire? welllll.....that might be stretching it, Sweetie you are just too good to have been a rabel rouser
But what about you, Miss Shantell with the gorgeous daughter.....did you always follow directions?
And we know what PenPen would say were she still here, (miss you Penny)

But what about Daphne?
Eileen, where you always a good girl?
Cindy?
Paula?
Janet-with the Oboe
gina?
What about Sarah, one of our newbies? 
Laura Lynn?

And any other reg. gal that I might have forgotten-forgive me.....but did you follow directions?

I remember a coloring book picture that Miss Imbach had colored and taped up.  We were all supposed to do exactly what she had done.

The little girl in her picture had yellow hair and a red dress.  The dog was brown.

I already knew how to color really good [?]  and decided in my 5 year old infinite wisdom I decided that since my hair was brown and it was my picture I would color her in a [color=]blue[/color] dress with brown hair and the dog could be yellow.

Allready a hell raiser...

I got a spanking with the paddle for this.  hmmmmm

It wasn't my first, nor my last.  When I left this school I was told by the principal Mrs. Imbach ( the mother of Miss Imbach) that I had the dubious, all-be-it disticntion of having been spanked more than any other child in the history of the school. hmmmmmm....I guess my bum was as hard as my head....;)

All from not understanding the utmost importance of the red dress vs the blue dress.  I still don't....I think we leach creative out of our kids before they have a chance to really play with it.

Now we have drugs to make the poor kids completely conform.

But here's the thought I really want to leave you with:

those of us who didn't conform, really learn to conform, still have the ability to create- to mess around with patterns and fabric and make something to love.

We still have the brain power to paint like Miss Judi does with her airbrushing- remember the tiger?  (Those of you who are new and didn't see Judi's tiger I'll try to find the post.)

If they had had ritalin in the 1300-1930's what would we have missed?

Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Reubins, all the Dutch painters, Germany's 3 B's, Bach, Beethoven Brahms, Mozart, Margarite Steiff, Goethe, All of our countries developing, my goodness the list is endless.....

So fess up you little rascals who had problems following directions?

I do not believe for one moment I was the only one....

Dilu bear_tongue

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Are you kidding...I'm an overachiever only child...oldest grandchild...who hung out with adults...and had to go the "play therapy" when I was in grade school because I didn't "relate to kids my own age"... Follow direction...HA...my own maybe!!!

Suprised aren't you!!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh...and when my 14 year old was in pre-school...I got a call from his teacher who was concerned that Taylor's favorite color was black.  I said...yeah...so what...isn't that just all the colors of the rainbow all in one.  She didn't say much...

Oh Shantell you have to go to Lincoln...we have to meet....my soul sister....

Adults were infinetly more interesting....and if you hid behind the couch you never ever knew what they would say, and after all they had the power, I wanted it so .......

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I was a demon in disguise Dilu! My Mom and Dad, God rest their weary souls, had to keep the ropes on me so tight you have no idea. Remember when I grew up it was the age of the HIPPIE! Oh yes and the long hair and parties were very difficult for me to ignore. I was grounded more than not as a teenager. I don't know but I did find my loving Mother and Father way to strict although I am sure they had good cause to be.

Never the less I married a man 5 years older than me at the age of 17. Gosh, I must have given both Mom and dad many grey hairs. I too have many regrets about things that I did and said to my Mom that I know had to have hurt her deeply. I know she forgives me as she is in heaven and understands all. But I still struggle with that to this day.

Yes I was no more than a spoiled brat and spend each and every day of my adult life trying to get past that and be a better person. I hope to achieve that if nothing else.

Many hugs Louise

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I was a trouble maker when I was little!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Well,I don't know if I was a trouble maker,I tried to be the best behaved child,I was the dreamer,couldn't follow the directions because I didn't hear them or understand them yes poor Shari was not too bright bear_rolleyes

I actually have had two of my kids tested for ADD/ADHD and yes we have it but we do not take the meds,we learn to cope.The doctor testing actually pointed out that I have "the problem" and asked how I managed to get through school and then get through Teachers College and go on to get my B.ed. I don't know,it wasn't easy I said but I learned to cope(even though I just always thought I was stupid)
  So I guess Dilu the point is that we creative people are blessed in some areas and lacking in others(like following directions because I can't stay with it long enough to finish reading so I make up my own method) but yes,I love to look at the pictures and eventually my brain will tell me how to do it.

Funny you posted this Dilu,I have been debating on either getting therapy or medication to help me concentrate and get more done,I seem to be getting worse instead of better.

Well ,now that I've ripped open my heart and shown some of my deepest darkest secrets,my head hurts and I think I'll go throw-up.
Shari.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I think I said this in a different post, but I was also a real trouble maker. If there were directions to follow, I would refuse. I think that allowed my creative side to come out. Are has no rules!!
Heather

Deb Upstate New York

I'd have to say I was generally well behaved and followed directions as a child/teen/young adult ... umm ... with a few exceptions, which of course is normal.  Right?  Anyway, these days I'm a little more curious, usually looking for a better, faster, smarter way to get stuff done.  Sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes right.  I like it that way.

Speaking of following directions ... I looked in my Profile Menu, under Personality, and it says Img tag: off.  Wonder if that's why I can't post a picture.  Guess some directions just aren't really begging to be followed.

Deb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Deb, I love that quote.

Seems like that might be your problem, and I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but I just checked Profile>Personality on my account, and my [img]tag is OFF, too.  I think that refers to images appearing in your signature.

Quy...?

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL!!! :lol::lol:

Well, for the beginning of my life I tried to follow the rules as closely as I could.  I was a policeman's daughter and truly believed if I did anything wrong... I would get caught :P

Although I was a dreamer... got distracted easily and often did not finish my many projects....

Then I hit 16, met my ex.... and all of a sudden my parents were wrong and we were right... especially upon the topic of religion.  My POOR parents!  I've apologized many times bear_rolleyes

Wasn't till 12 years later I got straightened out (at 28 - better late then never!!)

I still think I'll be the one who gets caught if I do something wrong....:rolleyes:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

As a child I was always to be found in the garden play house with a pencil in my hand and drawing until the cows came home. I would draw on every spare bit of paper, even in the side columns of the newspaper. I can only remember getting into deep trouble once and that was when I drew naked angels on the paper lining of my Gran's underwear drawer. She was disgusted at the drawings and said I was a naughty little girl until I showed her that I had copied the pictures from a book of bible stories. I got a slap on the back of my hand and was made to go to Sunday school and apologize to the Reverend who found it all rather amusing.
Oh yes! How could I forget! Whilst at high school I was asked to paint the scenery for a school play and when it was lunch time I put down my brushes and went for lunch, ten minutes into lunch time I was called to the headmaster's office where I saw the deputy headmaster standing looking at me as if he could just burst. He was covered in thick green paint. Whoops! I had left a tin of paint at the top of the ladder which I had been using and when I left for lunch the deputy headmaster had folded up the ladder to move it out of the way. the rest I will let you work out for yourselves. I got detention for two week...oh yes, during the two weeks I spent my detention time painting the much needed scenery. Go figure!

Jane

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Dilu, I've been trying to catch up on messages and had to add my $0.02 .  (I've been making bears for 3 days straight).

I was a kid that always followed the rules.  I was the "perfect student" --also known as a "goody-goody"  I guess - all thru school.  My best friend was the same as me so  we kept each other in line. I too was always worried that I'd get caught if I did something bad.  However, when I was 13 I got "wild"- well for me anyway bear_rolleyes  A friend and I bought cigarettes and hid in the woods.  We smoked about 5 each in a row-----GAK !  I was so excited that I actually went home and ASKED my mom if I could start smoking !!!!  Now is that sad or what :P.  Of course she said NO .  That was about as unruly as I ever got.   I never drank or tried drugs.  I just wanted to be a good kid I guess.

However, I have always been creative and never followed rules in that respect.  Always wanted to try creating things my way.  When I was 8 I decided to take a hatchet and cut a log to make a craft  (in my barefeet) .........well I missed, hit my foot  and almost chopped my toe off    bear_rolleyes !!!!!  What a moron !  Nothing a few stitches didn't fix.

Unfortunately I am people pleaser , and to this this day I am anal about following rules.  Drives my husband and kids absolutely nuts !!!!  Even drives me nut at times.  They just look at me like I'm out to lunch , which I probably am.  bear_happy

Louise you have already paid your penance Sweetheart, you already have.

Shari- bless yur heart.  Yes you learn to cope.  Hubby and I have often discussed that were we kids today we would be drugged out of our gourds on ritalin-  Consider this;  you are a consumate bear artist.
That sounds to me like therapy already. bear_original And since you have learned to cope, as did we, look at what YOU have acomplished.

We have a family joke here, weven though the IQ's are up there- my honeys is still 155- neither of us has the patience to finish reading the instructions on a new appliance or something we are putting together.
We attempt to intuit our way through.  Sometimes I think life would be a little easier if I were to stop.  and then read the instructions.
Sorry Daddy, you were right as always!

I can relate Miss Heather-forge ahead

Deb.  thank you for the giggle-turn it on girl!

Jane- but of course-and let the punishment fit the crime :D:D:D

Lisa, Mea Culpa I am sorry.  However here's a prediction-those twins of yours, and I don't mean the bears, will make up for your angelicness....and I pray that you keep yur sense of humor, keep a journal of thier hijinks and try to enjoy every minute of it.....it truly goes way to fast.

Awww Tammy- there have to be good kids, if there weren't none of us would ever have kids!  When I look back on what I was like, and I can dispationetly- I can see why my mother kept me grounded-sometimes for whole semesters. (Was still allowed school functions like band-just no TV, telephone and friends.  Surely did make me a great reader-

The stories are great- and I believe that over all and I notice Shelli didn't tell any of her stories- we would find that sedate well behaved bear artiste of today has a wild streak in her background.

Now golly makers are something else.....I am not sure they can be sedate anytime, anywhere, anyhow...:D

love you guys

dilu

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Jane, I feel so sorry for you !!
But now I understand that your talent is not
instant one but I came from your true soul. :DA   

Oh no Dilu, you got me wrong :/
I was very weird kid ! bear_rolleyes  when I was small, I had asthma and  I was in & out from the hospital,   so I couldn't go to school everyday...
I had no human friend at school those days and my best friend was * big tree* in the school yard . His name was Mr.Manbo. :P
When I told that to my 3rd grade teacher
Mrs.Kasuga was not happy  at all
and she call up my mom somay times ........

I believed I was an Indian(my wish) and I was able to talk with wind, sky, moon and I loved talking  with sun.....oh boy oh boy.
When I turn to 13, my asthma was not bad
was able to go school and I NEVER skipped
school after that and made few friends.

I am  hiding my weirdness now. he he  :lol:
I think, I will follow the instruction when I
agree with that , but if not I will not follow...oops
Hugs/Marie

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

What a fun discussion Dilu :)
I was a good girl too lol...I did live in my own fantasy land tho and loooved to pretend and use my imagination.  I was never lonely coz I could always imagine.  I was a roughy too and loved being outside and having adventures lol.
We were all creative kids (my 2 sisters and me) and isn't it funny how 20 yrs ago if you wanted some particular toy or game, you would set about making it with card, glue and scissors lol...kids don't have that so much now which is a shame.  Remember the tin can stilts lol.
I think I could follow direction as a kid...but does anyone now hate following instruction manuals, tutorials etc?  I would much rather spend an hour working something out myself than 10 mins reading a manual :lol:
hugs sarah

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hrmmm, I was a good girl too.. How boring LOL.... 

What a funny topic, thanks for the laugh!

Danni

Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm finding it interesting that most peoples take on this is that not following rules is a bad thing which I don't.  After all if everyone followed "the rules" we wouldn't have had wonderful artists like Van Gogh, Matisse, Michelangelo...or scientists who are breaking new ground in finding the cure or treatments for cancer, diabetes, MS, etc.  All our bears would look the same for the most part.    When I wrote earlier that I made my own rules I didn't mean it that I was a bad kid...I wasn't.  I got in trouble yes but nothing serious...I didn't break the law, drink or do drugs.  I learned to "break the rules" from the biggest rule breaker I know and that is my mom.  She defies rules at every turn.  My mom (as well as myself) has MS and if she would have played by everyones "rules" she'd probably be dead...but she challenges them all.  She refuses to be told how to live...oh you should do this...you should do that.   I don't think breaking rules or not following directions as a bad thing...it's knowing what rules or directions you can bend or break...or push to the limits.   We need rule breakers, non-direction followers in order to learn new and exciting things.

Okay...Shelli you can have the soap box back... bear_original:)  (meant as the sincerest of compliments...I love it when get on your soap box)

Willamette Valley Oregon

P.S.  Dilu darling...I didn't have to hide behind the sofa....my mom let me sit right front and center...I got to participate....that is until I fell asleep in my daddy's lap and had to be carried to bed....which I use to fake just so he would because I got bored.:D

I wasn't bad...just a bid spoiled and ornery

Quy nomonkeybiz.com
Costa Mesa, CA
Website

Quy Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

JJ48 wrote:

Speaking of following directions ... I looked in my Profile Menu, under Personality, and it says Img tag: off.  Wonder if that's why I can't post a picture.  Guess some directions just aren't really begging to be followed.

Which method are you using to post pictures? Couple of things to check:
- photo is jpg format
- 72 dpi
- file size less than 250kb

Quy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You all crack me up!!! bear_grin

I was probably the only NOT spoiled rotten Only Child you'll ever know! I guess that's cause I was always getting into trouble. It started when I was 5 and went to kindegarten w/o any underpants on and was hanging upside down on the monkey bars in my dress!!! Yup, got sent home from school that day!!! I spent the rest of my days until I was 18 grounded. Not for the kindegarten incident but for all the other things I did after being told not to. (If I followed their rules I'd have been a good girl, how boring!!! Sorry Danni!) I had awful grades in school, couldn't sit still and couldn't pay attention. I was such a dreamer. (MY hubby tells me I still am!)

Then I got in HUGE trouble the summer I turned 18 and my parents decided I wasn't mature enough to go away to college. Gee, how could one mature when they are confined to their room???? No, I'm not telling you what happened then but no drugs or alcohol were involved, don't worry!

Now, for the record, I LOVE my parents dearly today!!! It wasn't until my divorce in '98 that we became close. Mom is my bestest friend. Dad will always be my daddy but he's also my buddy too.

But when I was growing up they were the two people who I thought were ruining my life!!! I got in trouble for things the rest of my friends were ALLOWED to do! Strict was an understatement in my house. When I was diagnosed with diabetes at age 12 it got even worse. I know they thought they were protecting me, but I thought I was being smoothered!

So I dreamed a lot. My stuffed animals were my bestest friends! As I got older and sick of being grounded I did all the things they told me not to do!  I was rebelious whenever I could be... sneaking out, skipping school... you name it!  Boy, was that fun!! bear_grin I look back and wonder how I ever actually lived through some of the stupid things I did!!! But, I LIVED and had fun!!

Now, about following directions......... DIRECTIONS???  Yikes!!!

Directions are like rules... meant to be broken!!!

There is always a different way to do things. (Not necessarily better mind you!) Being the rebelious type, I'll be the one to do it differently than everyone else!!

You'll be happy to know I've become a proper, resposible adult citizen. Got all the evil doings out of my system! Now I know the Lord, love my parents and have a great marriage. The puppy needs some work... he reminds me of me!! bear_grin

OK, now you know my TRUE colors!!

Still love me?
Daphne

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ahhh well, when I was a kiddie.. I was good.  By the time the hormones kicked in, and I turned 15.. well that's a whole other story.....

My sister and I (we are close being idential twins) just egged eachother on... I think my Mum likes to think we were the perfect teenagers..so...please don't spoil her dilusion...  bear_grin  :P

I haven't been boring my WHOLE life Daphne.. LOL

Danni

carsoncreations Carson Creations
Macomb, IL
Website

Okay, here's my take on this.  I am the oldest with one brother and always loved school, got great grades, was always on the honor roll and received perfect attendance.  I always tried to follow directions all the time.  (Boring, huh?)

I was kinda the odd man out on most things as my interests were not the same as most students my age.  I was always drawing and doodling and lived in my own fantansy world when alone.   Was friends with all the boys (but no boyfriends) loved horses and always dreamed of the day I would have one.   In fourth grade a school friend and I made hand puppets and wrote a puppet play on The Reluctant Dragon which we presented to the class.  The teacher was so impressed, she had us give the play to a couple more classes and at the public library.

I most always put my own spin on a pattern, a recipe, etc.    So I don't really think of myself as defiant, but never tell me I can't do anything as I will "bust a gut" trying to do it better than anyone else.

Hugs,

Wanda

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I followed all of the rules to a tee (when I was being watched or graded).  But when I was on my own, look out!  I did very well in school.  I graduated in the top of the class and was on the National Honor Society.  School was too easy for me.  I sat in class and did what had to be done, but inside I was screaming to be turned loose.   When I did get turned loose, I lived on the wild side.   Directions for me are just a guideline in most cases.  I don't have to follow them exactly.  I can add my own little spin on things if I choose.  My daughter-in-law gets so frustrated when she asks me for a recipe.  She has even watched me make pizza crust to try to get it right.  The problem is I don't measure some ingredients, I just eyeball it.

[TOO ALL OF YOU WHO, LIKE ME, BELIEVED RULES WERE MEANT TO BE BENT STAPLED AND MUTILATED INTO A BETTER WORLD yayyyyyyyy]

this is scarry-deep dark secret time- I have always found that my thinking is the same now as it was at 5 when I colored the picture my own way.  My husband says I was born an old soul.  But I remember thinking then that I did understand, I did see the big picture and why couldn't the adults?!

Hmmm I still feel the same.  hey where are all the adults?  Why don't they take care of this mess?

Oh We are the adults.....hmmmmm

I send e-mails to my congress people routinely.  Its the only way I feel like democracy works for me.  That and voting.  Yep.  Voting is important.

but I'm not sure I want to be the adult.......:(

Dilu

Amazingly, for those of you in Oregon, Senetor Smith and Rep. De Fazio actually answer my letters with real letter, addressing each point I bring up.  Hmmmmm  Who knew~

Board footer