Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

It started when I was 5 and went to kindegarten w/o any underpants on and was hanging upside down on the monkey bars in my dress!!!

Daphne I almost wet my pants when I read that...how funny!!!  Now what in the world made you think that was not going to get you in trouble?

I was very spoiled as a child...I had my dad wrapped around my little finger...oh heck...I still do.   I should correct that...my mom use to say "I was overindulged...not spoiled...spoiled children throw tantrums to get what they want...overindulged children just get what they want (within reason)."  Perhaps that's why I only made it through a couple play therapy sessions...she thought they were a waste of time...I turned out okay without them.  I play just fine with children now...:D:D

So....go forth my new friends and stop following directions...be brave... bear_original:)

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I was sooo bad, especially in my teen years: partying, drinking, bikers, etc etc. I'm the oldest of 11 so my parents trusted me more than they should have. Was not able to get through high school - entirely my fault. Fortunately my kids don't know of most of my shenanigans so I can still lecture them on the pitfalls of life without sounding like a hypocrite - not that they listen much anyway. I married the biker 35 years ago and now we live a fairly quiet life on a small farm. He's now retired but still has long hair (now grey) and a full beard - looks scary but really a pussycat. I've been working in a law firm for the past 17 years - can't get much more respectible than that!   I find bearmaking is a great stress-reliever.

Marion

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I love this thread and will have to print it out and keep it.  The only thing that would make it better would be if there were mug shots next to every post, so we could see the naughty perpetrators of these bad acts while reading the tales of their misdeeds. 

I, myself, was very much a good girl -- on paper, anyway.  Straight A student, Honor Roll, accelerated classes.  You know the type.  I was on drill team and for two years was a song girl (pompoms and dance) -- and twice was captain even, and I won the "Leadership" award for that my senior year.  My mom worked at my high school and my teachers liked me.  I wasn't a behavior problem, almost never got in trouble (I have only one very defiant school story to tell but that's for another time,) and generally came home by curfew.  I was lucky to have attended a very chi-chi high school (because my mom made a huge sacrifice to work there, thereby nabbing the pricey tuition for free), and to have many friends from enriched environments, with present and loving parents, and not many delinquent types around me -- because they were kicked out early on in their juvy careers, since my private school retained the right to do that, and did so with haste.

But...

Somewhere else deeper inside me, where it was less obvious, and way more manipulative, I was a boy-crazy, repressed hippie wild child, wanting badly to emerge despite a very overprotective parent environment and a deeply held notion that the things I wanted to do weren't "wrong," exactly, but were kinda naughty, and not the kinds of things most parents would get real behind for their kids.  I had the mouth of a truck driver, was always quick with a glib, flirtatious comment, and had waaaaaay too many hormones surging around inside me, to allow my parents to feel any kind of calm when I went out on dates -- of which there was never a short supply.  I did have my occasional sneak out, alcohol encounter, and... well... things that should probably not be posted to an internationally available public web forum.

The crushing blow of my high school career was not making Homecoming Court.  That, and the time when, during a journal/sharing exercise where the teacher added his own notes, my senior English teacher said -- not in these words, but he said it all the same -- that HE COULD SEE ME, and that he could SEE that I had enormous depth and intelligence and warmth and kindness in me... which other people -- my peers and friends -- would be able to clearly see, too, if only I would choose to stop behaving like such a shallow, giddy airhead.  Ouch.

I never did do anything all that terribly naughty in my life -- a life that, to date, can pretty accurately be summed up as functional and successful and tame.  But I still take little sidesteps into that wildness I feel churning, sometimes, deep inside.  I married a bearded, ex-hippie, therapist with an earring, and moved to a very granola/university town.  And if you ask me privately, maybe someday I will tell you about my tattoo....

Happily, as happens with most people, time and experience and the living of life combined, and have ripened me into the sage, Ghandi-esque being I have now become.  <Cracking up here> bear_laugh

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Let me clarify... i wasnt a trouble maker and I only had detention one time, for letting someone copy my homework (they copied my homework and I got in trouble!) I never was a smoker and didnt drink until I was 18 even though others in my school were drinking in their early teens.  I was, how should i put it, a "little stinker" from about first grade through third.  I always listened to my mom, never my dad (my mom was always with us)  I guess I am still that way today, Momma's girl... never daddy's girl.  He was really mad when at 18 I got my belly botton pierced, thing was, I had it pierced a year before he noticed so at that point i wasn't trying to hide it anymore (even though i was 19 at the time and old enough to legally get it done)  And then he found out at 20 that I got a tatoo, even though I was no longer under his roof, he was ticked!  It isnt really big and it is in a spot where i can hide it, but he still doesnt like it.  Out of my three siblings, I am the only one that isnt living at home.  I was the "first" for a lot of things, getting engaged, getting married (and paying for the whole thing ourselves - but that is a long story!), graduating college, moving out, buying a house

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Shelli....a tat; you devil you.
All of my children have tats and last spring I decided to get one too. I got a little daisy on my shoulder in honour of my mom.  Amazingly enough, my husband has none and he was in the marines stationed near Tiajuana!  I'm thinking of getting another one; apparently they are addictive - just like bearmaking.

Marion

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I dont think i will ever get another tattoo! it hurt!  The naval piercing was fine, just once and done not a continuous pain for 45 min like a tattoo.... My husband and i have the same tattoo... it is a sun which is on my back above my rt hip and his is on his sholder blade...

Willamette Valley Oregon

Tattoos....I've always wanted one but am too chicken...this coming from someone who gives herself a shot every day...go figure.  My daughter just got one on the lower part of her back in the middle...and she said it was the worst pain in her whole life....and that included over 60 some stitches in her leg a year or so ago.  She said she'd never do it again...ever!!!  Now...I think you should post pics of your tattoos...come on...we are sharing here aren't we?

Shantell

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

The worst physiological pain experiences of my life, to date:

1)  Adult tonsillectomy recovery, including eight days of starvation/dehydration (and 12 lost pounds in that time) due to the excruciating nature of swallowing ANYTHING
2)  Childbirth, without medication
3)  Lower back tattoo (over three hours of work)

Sorry, photos not publicly available for ANY of the above. bear_original

Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Shelli...I don't blame you...I probably wouldn't share either.  You are much braver than I...just can't get past the pain thing.  Childbirth I could handle cuz I got to bring home that bouncing bundle of burp-up.  bear_original:)

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

"ALL THE GREATEST THINGS WE KNOW HAVE COME TO US FROM NEUROTICS.
IT IS THEY & ONLY THEY WHO HAVE FOUNDED RELIGIONS & CREATED GREAT WORKS OF ART"
                                                                                                  'Marcel Proust'

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Matilda, newcomer that you are, you have already found a place in my heart.  I love that quote, and am going to immediately have it made into a bumper sticker, which I plan to secretly adhere to my ex-husbands sparkling black Audi.

Cracking up here... and thanking you... bear_original

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Here,Here!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hey Hey Hey!!!! Matilda hits town with a bang

WELCOME

You are going to be a great assett to the board.  Glad you came and hope you stay?

Dilu

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hey....Maltilda. that's my G Grandmoms name. Welcome into our bear den, its a cozy fuzy bunch...we can always use more bears in here, he, he. You will love it here Matilda..Winney

2005-23-05-004-2.jpgSHELLI YOU WANTED PICS SO HERE GOES.

IF IT DOESN'T SHOW UP VERY WELL IMAGINE THE SNOTTY LITTLE KID IN THE WAGON WITH THE KNOW-IT-ALL LOOK IS STICKING OUT HeR TONGUe AT yOu....

my honey says it is the difinitive picture. hmmm

ps sorry about typing one handed...he has this thing about ice cream cones when I am doing the night wrap up. :D

hugs to everyone, especially Matilda

dilu bear_tongue

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Welcome Matilda! YAY for another Aussie!  Before you know it, Aussies will RULE the world..mwahahhahah.. no just kidding, but it's great to have another one with us!

Fantastic quote,

Looking forward to getting to know you and your bears!
Danni

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Matilda!!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Well it should go without saying that I was perfect! I always did the right thing and like others I was a goody-goody. Mostly.
K-8 I attended a TINY Christain school. We had 3-4 grades per classroom so they rotated through subjects and gradelevels during the day. I always worked hard (I loved school) and got my work done quickly and well. BUT then I had nothing to do. That's when I began to get creative. By 4th grade they realized that I was distracted by others and needed somewhere quiet to work, so I had to leave my classroom and work next door with the older kids.
By 7th and 8th grade I would actually wander the classroom and help other students and sometimes be sent to assist teachers (grading...) I actually watched a teacher's child once during school hours.:D
But I did get introuble. I put a whoopy cushion under my principals butt during lunch. :lol:

Then High School happened! I was straight A, honors, ASB, and in sports. I had a HAIR "issue" for which my Mom would not talk to me for months....:rolleyes: I had friends and overall liked school. My Mom volunteered at my school. She's my bestfriend so that was cool. She'd write me excuse letters to leave without dating them and I could pick and choose when I wanted to go home. When I was a cheerleaader! my best friend and my coach decided we all wanted to hang by the pool, so we did. My friend got in trouble but not me!:P

I was FREE in college and rebelled there. My Mom had some choice words for me then. I partied and dressed "interestingly" but never smoked or did drugs. They didn't like my boyfriends and my husband was not who they would have picked. Boy I thought he was a bad-boy rebel. He's just a big softy. Then I got my navel pierced when I was 24. My Mom thinks its cool, my Dad just rolls his eyes.

Australia

LOL Kirsten... bad boys were so much fun back then weren't they?:rolleyes:

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Yep, then he got all serious and mature... :P
He bought leather pants when we were engaged, but never wore them, now they don't fit... Ugh - reality!

Australia

Oooh so you married your bad boy?  I got fed up and broke it off with him...  I still imagine him like that.  But he'd be nearly 30 now... he's probably fat and ugly and lost all that lovely long hair LOL

bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Age and Marriage do such a number on one's appearance!!!

Once you get married you put on 20 lbs. in the first 5 years. And why bother with how you look, who do you need to impress now? HA!

Oh, to have the body I did in my 20's.......... it's waaaaaaaay too much work to look that good now! I've kept the button fly jeans I wore when I was 20.... just to remind myself or make myself feel awful... or perhaps give inspiration...I don't know! But I'm almost twice that size now! UGH!!!!!!

Time to put away the jar of peanut butter I'm eating out of....:P
Dilu -you are always eating ice cream... yumm! What's your favorite flavor??? I'll live vicariously through you from now on!:lol:

Daphne

Ok ladies,

not to upset anyone-but I weigh the same at 53 as I did at 23.  It's just in different places now.  I can wear some of the stuff from back then but those perky things on my chest lost thier bloom and are no longer perky and my flat tummy is def. not flat....what happened?

Rocky Road.....cuz Dreyers makes a low fat version.  Iget so sick if I eat to much fat at a time.....darn.....I miss the really good icecream. :D

the weight's the same but the measurements just don't measure up :lol::lol:

dilu

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Phooey! Who cares what size we are. I'm exactly the same size as I was as a teenager...Ummmmm! It's just wrapped up in layers of fat...her...there...and everywhere! :D

Jane

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Dilu, I have enjoyed this post, and had a little giggle thanks everyone you have cheered me up. :lol:

Welcome to Matilda too, make sure you come back now bear_happy Another Aussie to the group. yay...

Well I am an only child, spoilt somewhat but not completely, shy, quietly spoken, great Mum, very strict Dad.
Went through school being very quiet, reserved, good grades, known as a real giggler in class and a little distracting.   Love a good laugh, and use sense of humour where ever I can.

Was a mad Peanuts fan, still am, and went throught the Abba craze, sorry thought I would mention it.  But Bay City rollers didn't do much for me.

I don't recall doing anything as funny as Daphne, or some of you other girls.   But I must say I do sometimes laugh at peoples misfortunes which is not very nice, shame on me, I know its not very nice, but I cannot help it sometimes.     

Anyway my dear friend at the time accidentally slipped on wet railway tracks whilst running to catch a train, I saw here from the corner of my eye slipping, and landing dead smack on her rear, she had this look of shock on her face, and it was a really dumb looking facial expression she had too, as if to say "did that really just happen".  I turned and ran back to her to offer some assistance and lift her up off the road, she was o.k. She said she  was o.k, then I burst into laughter, I told her I saw her slip over, fortunately was o.k. and laughed about it later on as well, shame on me.  bear_sad     She was one of those clumsy people who always had something funny happen to them, or a silly story to tell, so thats probably what made me laugh at her inexpense.   Thats one of my naughty traits anyway. bear_sadbear_shocked

Board footer