Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I promised a friend of mine who's father passed away about 18 months ago that I would take all his "aloha shirts" (they are from Hawaii) and turn them into a quilt for her mother.  She dilly dallied...and so have I but I decided to start on it today.  Some time ago I found this wonderful paper-piecing pattern that is a shirt...same style as her dad's aloha shirts....

AUGH...I remember why I hate paper-piecing...I can't follow directions the right way...how am I suppose to do it and do it backwards... AUGH.  I have half a shirt done...and it's taking me all afternoon.  bear_angry bear_angry

Okay...I'm done venting...on to the other half.  Then it will one block down and 20 more to go...

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

The quilt sounds very interesting  Shantell. If you think that pattern will take forever too long for you...make the blocks you have already into pillows and pick an easy pattern?

I can see large floral Hybiscus flowers with large leaves  done on a whole cloth background then echo quilted on the machine . They could be paper piece but in much bigger pieces maybe...just an idea.
Sure wish I could see your project. It seem like we have quite a few bear artists that also love to do qulits too...including me. LOL.  I have several unfinished quilt projects..must get them done, at least  before I die...LOL...
Holler if you need any help..... Winney

Willamette Valley Oregon

Piece of cake...the other half only took me an hour...I never make my "pieces" big enough the first time around and I'm trying very hard to use the fabric wisely.  I'd really like to surprise Angie, my friend, with a second quilt for herself.   I'll take a photo of this block in the a.m. and post it then.  It's really a cute pattern...I just needed to get away from it for a few minutes and change my thought process.  Paper-piecing is just backwards for me.  Now that's I've done the two halves it'll go fast.

Thanks for listening to me vent...

White City, Oregon

Yeahhhhhh... I just love having someone who cares to vent upon..LOL.. especially another quilt designer / maker who understands the frustrations... that's what we are here for. In time, I  know you will come out with a very pretty quilt Shantell...Winney

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Shantell...boy this sound like an interesting project, very time consuming but I bet it will be wonderful when it is finished. Please share a picture when it is ready.

Jane.

Willamette Valley Oregon

100_0006.jpgHere you go fellow quilters and bear lovers....this was what was giving me so much grief yesterday...but I figured out my "issues".  Now on to the about 20 or so more...different shirt material....so they will all look a little different.  Haven't decided how I want to sash them together yet...wait until I'm done and then decide...no sense having anything planned too far ahead... :)

I might add that it's a real lapel, pocket and the buttons came off the original shirt.  Fun...

Shantell

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

bear_laugh Ooooh,I'm not a quilter but I work in  a fabric store with quilters and deal with quilters a great deal :DA  That is awesome,your friends Mom will be ecstatic,what a great tribute. Super,terrific!! bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

Hugs and blessings,shari.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That is really special... i bet she will be emotional when she receives it... that is so heartwarming!  awww....

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What an amazing amount of work must go into quilting; it's something I've not yet tried.  Think I'll stick to bearmaking... :)

It's a wonderful gesture you're making and I know it will be treasured beyond what words can express.  Your friend and her mom are lucky to have someone like you.

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Shantell,
That looks great! What size do you have to make each block? I looks big in the picture.
I have done a little quilting in my time. Just before my dad passed away 3 years ago, my mom made up blocks then send them out to me ( she lives in NS ) to put together the top. So I did and sent it back to my mom to quilt. I found out later that my dad use to get up at night when he could not sleep and would quilt and sometimes they would sit and qult together.The quilt is very special to my mom and my self because It is a quilt that we all had a part in making and was the last thing my dad had a part in making. He use to love to make things from wood all the time. I knew my dad could do a lot of things but I was surprised to find out about the quilting. He had learn to sew from his mom when he was a young boy, but never told any one.
Lynn

White City, Oregon

Shantell..that pattern is PERFECT  for your dads shirts.... it is going to be so special for your mom...and very pretty . Id love to get your pattern if its OK ? ...Winney

Willamette Valley Oregon

Sure...I actually found the pattern online when trying to research this project for ideas before I agreed to do it.  I have to admit that it is a little nerve racking because if I screw up I can't just run down to the local quilt shop and buy another fat quarter.  ;)

Here's the website (on the bottom).  There is also a pattern for a flannel or long sleeve shirt version...however I think I would have chosen different fabric to highlight how cute the pattern is.

Lynn, how sweet that your dad use to quilt with your mom.  I have a feeling that would be something my dad would do if my mom sewed.  He's quite handy and does alot of woodworking...he's a crafty ol' guy.

This particular pattern is an 8" block without any borders.  I wanted a bigger block so I took it down to the copy center and asked them to enlarge it to 12 inches.  The pattern is two halves (left and right).  I plan on adding borders to each block just not sure how I want to do them yet.

Enjoy...

http://www.paperpanache.com/guests/ashirt.htm

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shantell, that will be such a unique and treasured quilt.  What a nice memory of her dad.   I am learning to quilt, but not sure that I have the patience for it :/

The story of your dad quilting was touching too.  I lost my dad almost 2 years ago. I bet he and your mom really enjoyed that shared hobby.  So your mom lives in NS as in Nova Scotia ??? Just curious.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Tammy, I didn't think I had the patience for it either.  A friend of mine who has quilted for years kept dragging me to quilt stores...for months...and I'd help her pick out fabric etc.  She kept telling me I had a knack for picking out the perfect fabric to go with the perfect pattern...I thought...yeah right.  But, when another friend of mine had her first baby I decided to try it by  making a simple baby quilt....I was hooked...and even more hook by giving them as gifts.  I've never stopped loving it.  I feel the same way about making bears...I just love the whole process...it's like opening a Christmas present each time you finish. 

The story about the dad was Lynn's story...and it was very touching...amazing what we learn about our parents when they are gone. 

Shantell

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Wow... I've paper-pieced and it takes me forever because I have to stop and THINK about what I'm doing.... and then think some more, then swear, then start again........ whew! Kudos to you my dear!!! What a great pattern!!!

Daphne

Willamette Valley Oregon

That was me last night...I almost had myself in tears...thinking...now this can not be that hard...deep breathing...throwing it across the room a few times...swearing...good thing there were no children present...but I'm over myself and am reading to tackle another block...I will win this war!!!  And the finish product will be worth every frustrating moment.  This however may very well be my last paper-piecing project.  bear_laugh

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shantell

I loved paper piecing when I was still quilting-  and  I am glad you shared the block.  What a really really neat quilt this is going to be and how thrilled your friends mom will be.  Every time she looks at the quilt she will see a shirt made out of a shirt her honey wore.  That is so very very special.  I am impressed, because having been a quilter for many many years I know what you are doing is truly and act of love.

I hated it when I didn't cut my scraps big enough too...you don't want to waste fabric......but......

I am sure you will get than hang of it and it will go much much faster.  I really hope you will post pics when it is all done....

hugs to you for being such a SUPER LADY!!!

Dilu

PS  I just got a
Hancocks of Paducah catalog.....(love their catalogs) and yes I will be placing an order. bear_tongue  I was looking through it and found some great fabrics for teddy and golly clothing....its fun how fabric arts can over lap.

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Hi Tammy,
  Yes that is Nova Scotia, She lives down by the camp grounds Dunromin. Annapolis Royal. Where abouts do you live in N.S.? I had my mom out here(in Alberta) with me for a year to help her get back in track. She has alot of health problems and found it hard with 5 deaths in the family within one year. A brother, husband,mother inlaw,mother and sister inlaw. I took her home in April and is doing fine.
It is hard to have her so far away.... but she is doing fine and I talk to her every day. Before she went home , she help to make 4 bears from her moms coat to give one to each of her  two brothers and her moms sister who is 95. and one for her self. It sure made her feel good to help and be able to give them each some thing that was their moms and sister.
What a great feeling!
Lynn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu-
Hancocks?
Hmmm... never heard of them but if it's fabric I must search for them online and request a catalog!
Do you get Keepsake Quilting's catalog? I'm fortunate enough to live 45 minutes from them. Their show room is, well, over whelming.... bolts and bolts and bolts and bolts... it's an all day trip with a break for lunch!!

Any particular reason you stopped quilting? Just being nosey! ;)

Daphne

White City, Oregon

Neat pattern Shantell. I like finding patterns sutable for guys. Have you ever seen that quilt book called " Daddys Ties", it has some new ways in it for using old mens ties.

I love that Keepsake Quilting catalog..a dreamers delight, it has more than just quilt fabric and books......... Winney

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

that is a wonderful idea with the aloha shirt, Hawaiian quilt - how neat.
It will be a lot of work but when finished and  will look great ....  what a lucky friend.

bear hugs
Carolyn

Dilu Posts: 8,574

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/shop-ht … g_Fabrics/

Daphne-  When you Google be sure to put in Hancocks of Paducah-  otherwise you get the regular chain store---their cataLOG is absolutely to die for-glossy pictures, wonder ful fabrics, talk aboud eye candy---

The last thing I need, really, is more fabric, but there is some in this catalog that would make such wonderful colorfull golly dresses I can't help myself!

Yes I get Keepsake quilting- they are great to work with too....

by the way  have you heard of FABRIC.COM  they have great fabric and wholesale prices.....it's end of bold etc.  I haven't ever gotten seconds there, and it is worth a look see-they also carry upholstery and clothing, fabrics.....silks, chiffons, etc etc.... 

dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shantell, the quilt is going to be sooooo special!  You are an angel to do it!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Angel?  Shhhh...you'll ruin my reputation...:lol::lol:

Shantell

Board footer