Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I wanted to post a separate topic so it wouldn't get buried in the Doll and Teddy Expo/Thoughts on the Industry by LBThoms  topic....

I just realized I wasn't very clear about web hosting thru yahoo...

Yes, website DOMAIN's are just $9.95 per year.

But you need to then purchase a web hosting package too!

If you do purchase a web hosting package thru them your first domain name is FREE and automatically re-registered when it expires.

The hosting/domain packages start at $8.95 per month.  I have the $11.95 per month one because I wanted lots of space bear_original  I have my family sites, hubby's sites and other stuff hosted there too.

I'm paying an extra $9.95 per year for the teddybearcollecting.com domain... but didn't need to purchase a web hosting package for it cause I have so much room with my original web hosting package .  (does that make sense?)

and just to make things more complicated (sorry,... and I"m the one who preaches to keep things simple bear_rolleyes )  I ALSO pay a $7 monthly fee for my "online store":  http://www.teddiesbylauralynn.wahmweb.biz/store/  This is relatively new for me... I wanted people to be able to buy one of my bears, check out... and then have the bear automatically marked "sold".  I'm also eventually going to be listing my candles there when they are ready.  I probably would not have gone with the store and the extra cost if I wasn't planning on putting the candles there.... (since I already have my domain & webhosting thru yahoo.)

But the wahmbiz people have a bunch of easy to use templates to set up your store... I have since "graduated" to using graphics I purchased from an artist...)  But the layout is exactly the same as when I used their templates.

If you went with the wahmweb.biz guys... it's $7 per month and $10 per year for your web domain.  But you don't have outside photo hosting.  They'll host the photos for your products... but for ebay you'll have to find other photo hosting.  (photobucket?)

I chose to keep my domain hosting with Yahoo as I have so many related websites with my original domain anyways.

Here's the wahmbiz site...http://wahmshoppes.com/

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Clear as mud...

I registered my domain name already through the site that Shelli had mentioned previously.  I paid for three years so that I would have time to develop a webpage if and when that time came.  This is VERY overwhelming to me for some reason.  I guess because I don't know all the "lingo" or what to even begin to ask.  :|:|

Thanks for the information...I've already been to Yahoo to check out there stuff. 

Shantell

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

THANK YOU!!!! this is the info I needed... I will forward it to my dad's girlfriend... she is the computer wiz when it comes to things like this...

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Oh Shantell,

I totally understand!  I've been learning this bit by bit over the last 4 YEARS!  Hubby thinks I'm a "whizz" but really.. I just learn what I need to -- to do what I want to "now".  I've been learning slowly over the last 4 years.

Here's 2 places that will REALLY help when you are just starting.  This is where I started....

A free place:
http://www.lissaexplains.com/

And here's where I paid a very small fee for a basic course on HTML.... it REALLY helped me get a basic understanding and then I built all of my future learning on what I learned in this course:

http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

try this course... http://register.lvsonline.com/product_i … ucts_id=39

Just be patient with yourself.... start somewhere and you can always change it bear_original

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Shantell,

An easy way to at least start....

If you can get your home page the way you want it... you can start with links to:

Adopted bears
Available Bears
Ebay bears
email

And for your adopted bears page... just use Yahoo photos like this:  (it's what I do)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/teddiesby … /my_photos

For "Bears for adoption"... you can use the resource available at Bearpile for listing new bears.  It's so easy to use!  I know of a few artists who do it this way.  If a bear is adopted thru the bearpile order form, they pay the commission.   I have gotten several regular collectors thru bearpile... but it does take time.

For eBay... just a link directly to your eBay sellers list.

And email.. pretty self explanatory.

That would at LEASt get you started!  You can find all the info on how to make those basic links on the lissaexplains site :)

.......not doing real good at staying off the computer... am I...???  bear_rolleyes

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks so much Laura Lynn but I have to tell you I started cracking up laughing when I went to the lissaexplains.com site...it's "just for kids".  I love it!!!   

I've always picked this stuff fairly quickly.  I use to be a "resource" at my job before I retired.  I was always getting calls "Shantell, how do you do..."  So I'm not sure why this is overwhelming me...guess because I've been away from it for so long.

I'm sure these will help alot of us newbies get started.  And, I looked at your photos on Yahoo (the link you shared)...ooooh, they are so cute...I love there little faces!!!

Shantell

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Oh Shantell!  That's why I love that site!!  I'm just a big kid :D

And thank you!  I'm glad you like my "fur kids" bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, I'm confussed about one thing. Laura, you mentioned subdomains or as I think I envisioned sub web addresses. (That was in Lisa's Doll/Bar Industry post) Can you explain in english.... 3rd grade english? bear_grin I use Yahoo to host my site but didn't register through them. (If that makes any difference as I know you are familiar with yahoo.) I'm probably not even asking this clearly. I'm soooo confussed!!!! :rolleyes::/:(

Daphne

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

and i have a quick? question for all you talented techies!! i have had a site and designed one that has other artists also..but we stuck to just one page each ( except i had my own originally..just added them like one long page with links..Now i want to make seperate  larger sites.and am confused about this somewhat..not much out there that i can find explains web hosting...how many pages is good for each site? including pictures stored for larger viweing? and how are they seperated and linked? okay that wasnt quick..at the moment ive goofed a link after the last update..but dont want to fix it until i update it all!  thanks deb

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Hi Deb and Daphne!

I'll try to explain better in the morning... but I wanted you to know I saw your post bear_original

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Hi Daphne!

Re:  Subdomains.  Here's a link to the Yahoo help page about those:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/webhostin … orwarding/

I'm not positive if the $8.95 per month plan includes these or not.  I have the 11.95 per month plan.

Here's an example of a few subdomains that I have....

Our family page:
http://family.teddiesbylauralynn.com/

My hubby's woodworking page:
http://bobs-woodworking.teddiesbylauralynn.com/

Here's where I "manage" my subdomains in my "File Manager"
  (THanks Shelli for teaching us how to do sceen capture!!)

subdomains.jpg

ALSO..... just noticed that the TELEPHONE support for Yahoo websites is NOT available with their $8.95 per month plan... only the $11.95 per month plans and up.  (I've used them several times successfully)

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Hi Heartsez,

I can try here... but I am only familiar with Yahoo webhosting.  I like thier "file manager" (which is where you manage everything about your webpage)

What you do to create a site with multiple pages... is to first create those individual pages.  (My first site was also just one long page )

After you have created all those single pages... then you insert links on each page to eachother... and that is how you get from one to another. 

Here's the section on HTML and website building on lissaexplains.  This page can be a little hard to find....
http://www.lissaexplains.com/html.shtml

And here's the page on linking pages... (section 2)
http://www.lissaexplains.com/html2.shtml

If you read (and print out??) these sections, I think you will get a much better grasp of how to build your webpage.  She really goes thru step by step (since it's for kids LOL!)

What I do when I'm doing a change to my site.. is I create a test home page... that way I don't mess up my exisiting one!  Then, if it turns out... I go ahead and change it :)

I hope that helps... you really need to go thru and read the link I provided on Lissaexplains... I've learned a lot of my basics from here.  If it doesn't make sense at first... then just read the first page or so and then "set it down" so you can absorb that info.   After you understand the first bit... THEN go on to the next bit of information.  It's a LOT of information to absorb!  I've been learning myself bit by bit over the last 4 years - just piecemeal... I'm not an expert with this like some people are who actually went to school for it :)

whooops!  forgot one of your ?'s... how many pages?  That's up to you.  I took a look at other bear pages to get an idea of what I wanted to include in mine:

Home
About the Bears
Bears 4 adoption
Adopted Bears
How to Order
About the Artist
News
Links...
and anything else that YOU want!

Personally, I found it easier to use Yahoo Photos to host the photos for my Adopted Bears.  Then, on my "Adopted Bears" page... there's a link to that photo album.

I know of some artists who use Bearpile for their bears for adoption section.....  just makes it a little easier... plus you do get more exposure of your bears!

Well, better run... HOPING to stay off the computer today bear_grin

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Oh I agree about annoying pop ups!  But if you go with a paid Yahoo web hosting program then there are NO pop ups bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Good ideas gals!  I really appreciate all the help - clueless here LOL  I just dont know where to begin!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Mandie - does homestead also host your website?  I just want to try to have eveything in the package?  do you have to register your domain elsewhere or can it be done there???

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Laura, you're terrific!
Thank you for explaining things. How'd you know I'm such a visual person? Thank goodness for screen capture! So, in order to use a subdomain your domain name needs to be the sufix? So I could do www.wheaten-terrier.backroadbears.com? I think I get it. Subdomains are pretty much only useful to link from the 'main' domain then right? I can't see Tucker telling his buddies that long web address and expect them to remember it. (OK, getting a little whacky here!!) I noticed when I signed up with Bear Pile that I now have a sub domain address with them. Just didn't know what it was called.
Thank you!!!

Mandie - as Laura and I both use Yahoo and don't have pop ups (which irk me too!) it's clearly just the package you go with. I used homestead once and had their ad across the bottom of every singe page of my site. It ate up like one and a half inches of viewing space. That was ages ago when it was free (see, free=ads) so I guess they now have packages you can pay for which eliminate the ads. Good to know!! Thanks!

Daphne

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Hi Daphne,

You're welcome!  I'm also a very visual person bear_happy  And yep, I think you got it! 

Now.. if you don't mind spending an extra $10 per year... you COULD get your own special domain like www.wheaten-terrier .com (I'm sure that one is taken... but you could figure out something) and then you can have them re-direct it to your subdomain's main page! 

You do all the work on the website in the subdomain.  But at least Tucker's website would be shorter and easier to remember/ type in!  That's how I did the www.teddybearcollecting.com site bear_original  Also my hubby's woodworking site too.... I bought a domain for his birthday (and paid for 5 years) www.bobs-woodworking.com  it redirects immediately to my subdomain.  But on his biz cards he has an easy domain name (without the word teddies in it LOL!)

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

For those of you who think I'm a resource... I just want to add, for the record, that I have no idea what the heck Laura is talking about in this thread, it's so beyond my scope of knowledge.  So please "re-direct" all your web setup questions to her!  She's got expertise I can only dream about in this area.

I can make pretty little graphics, though.  :P:lol::D

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Shelli you crack me up!!  LOL!!!!!!  I actually have just "some" knowledge... not an expert.  I think there's someone here who really knows this stuff ~ but I'm happy to help where I can!  (I will have very limited computer access for the next several days though....)

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

http://www.kim-beebears.com/
Well I got a website - still under construction and have lots of bears not listed and some need to be switched to hter pages but I HAVE A WEBSITE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D  I may also change the background but at least I am up and running!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Oh Kim it's beautiful!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yeah, Kim!!!! bear_grin

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thank you... I am trying and there are lots more pictures and I need to add descriptions but not bad for 1/2 hr! LOL

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kim, that's glorious, and the first time I've checked into Homestead, too, which looks like a fantastic place from which to start building a site.  Really great; congratulations!

Willamette Valley Oregon

Yeah Kim...good for you girl.  :)

And, Shelli dear...we all just admire how far you've come in such a short time and how generous you are in sharing your wisdom.  I think that it's easy to turn to someone as a resource when they so openly share and show that kind of generosity.  I know I find myself doing it.  I admire your work not only as a bear artist but also the wonderful graphics you do.  I can only hope to accomplish 1/2 of what you have in the short time you have done it.  So.....stop being so humble bear_grin  It just makes it that much more difficult to be annoyed that your so stinkin smart. bear_grin

Shantell

Board footer