Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Since so many people are working on losing weight or changing their eating habits to a more healthful one, perhaps it would be nice to start a "diet buddy" kind of thing.  Just a place to check in with each other every so often and praise each other for their progress, give encouragement when you slip or whatever.   It doesn't necessarily have to be everyday, every week...just periodically like you do with other REAL programs.   You can share recipes that you like that are healthy or an exercise that you've started and find enjoyable since it sounds like most of us aren't really keen on the whole exercise thing. :):)

Just a thought!!!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Count me in :D
Shari.

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Me too, Rita x

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

Sounds good to me!
Amy

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Sounds good to me!  Count (my calories) in!

Jane

Deb Upstate New York

Actually, the only diets that I've had success on have been the ones where I have had accountability.  That is, an actual weigh-in, with someone, once a week. 

Last time I was to the doctor, my cholesterol was up.  Doc said ... go directly to WalMart and buy a copy of South Beach Diet ... which I did.  It's a great diet and I was doing well until my daughter broke off her engagement and my son was arrested (it's all okay now) ... and I started stress eating.  (I'm not sure, but I think it's some sort of term that means eating everything in site, 24/7.)

Now I just need to take the plunge and get started.  I would be glad to pair up with someone and email weekly status but um ... I am thinking that I am not posting a weight here on this board, no matter how much I like these gals!

Deb (NY)

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hmm,good point!I think we can still support each other and celebrate our accomplishments and losses without giving out those pesky little numbers.

Hugs,shari.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I wouldn't post my weight either...in fact I don't even have a scale because I'm in so much denial.  :lol:

But seriously, I meant just as encouragement...you only have to share as much as you feel comfortable sharing just like any other aspect of your life.  I personally did not like the whole "weigh in" thing with weight watchers...for me it felt fake.  Praise if you lost a bunch...still praise if you didn't but now lets find out why...either way I hated it.  So everyone is different...

Also, all this diet talk...I bought a container of Ben & Jerry's yesterday...well...it's already gone bear_original:)

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Count me in too!!!
I also don't have a scale, just don't want to know.
Great idea
Heather

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

It is possible to do a weigh in without posting your weight.  You can just say minus 1, total 15  or up 1 total 14 etc. You konw your strat point but no one else does.
Amy

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Shantell,  can I join too ?? Please count me in ! :D

Amy, that is good idea, we don't have to post our real weight ! -1, -2 is just fine !!

But...I failed many diet before.... so I'm sorry if I go +1, +2, +3 instead of loosing. :P

Hugs/Marie

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hi all. I actually work for a slimming group here in the UK. I was over 15stone (212 lbs) after I had Amy. I am now 11st (154 lbs). My ideal is about 7 lbs less. I really need to lose a bit after my holidays. Its not easy but the one thing that works is the support of other people and not feeling alone.
The diet I follow (when I'm good!) is just healthy eating and eating loads of the good stuff, its the sticking to it bit thats hard. So best of luck and I know people who have lost over 112 lbs AND kept it off, it can be done with a bit of support from each other.
PS. I am about to go shopping for loads of cakes etc for Amy's birthday party, oh well start Monday...well Tuesday it is a bankholiday tomorrow after all!!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hi Mandie. I'm with Slimming World. I know where you are coming from. Start to think can't have this can't have that and you are doomed. It is a long term thing. I say to my members when you reach your goal weight you don't turn into this person that will never put weight on again, it's still there, that urge to binge or eat rubbish especially if you are down. Its learning how to control it and to cope with it if you do fall off the waggon.

At the moment I have no motivation but I also know when Amy goes back school its back to the gym and back to the healthy eating. Slimming world plans suit me because you can eat loads, unlimited pasta on a green day, yummy. Back to making bears will also keep me busy.

Yep its definitely a lifelong thing, but in my case I have learnt how to have a few weeks off now and again and hopefully not spoil things too much. Roll on when the kids go back school!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

What a great idea Shantell- I hope everyone who wants to particiates with gusto!.  I know how hard it is for people to loose weight....

I think trying to loose weight is harder than kicking drugs or cigs.  And here is why; there is no magic pill like methadone ( and my thought on THAT are another post)  there is no patch and there is no gum.

And you can't rid your home of every last vestage of food like you can of cigs, ETOH or drugs-

Lets face it you have to eat.  There is no if and or buts about it.  And because you have to eat you have the constant bombardment of stimuli coming in at you, comercials, grocery stores, magazines, your own family etc...

You can't escape food- so you have to figure out ways to conquer this.  By supporting each other you will be helping a lot.

Please, my one caveat, becareful of the ephedra type preps.  Ephedra is the main chemical used in methamphetamines and it is a stimulant.  The OTC preps are not regulated, (in the US) so the variences of he amount of this 'drug' can vary and be dangerous.  Not only to older over 50 folks but also to kids.  So please, if you try one of those use it with a great deal of caution.

If you find your self having pounding bounding type heart beats or irregular hearbeats please please stop.  The drug is overstimulating your heart. 

Also drink lots of water, I know broken record, however as you burn up the fat you release ketones and need to flush those puppies right out of your system.

I'm rooting for all of you ladies.....if you can make Teddybears you can do this too.....I have confidence in you

Hugs and prayers for success

Dilu

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi !
Mandie , Congratulation to you !!! You look so gorgeous ♪ I don't know your before but you are
perfect now. bear_laugh thank you for sharing your photo.

Dilu, thank you for your big support !!!

Shantell, Now how we going to support each other?
             Do we make our mailing list !?
             I wish I am PC expert but I'm not.....
             sorry..... bear_tongue

Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Mandie . . . you are stunning, my friend!!!  Thanks much for letting us know how lovely you are!!! bear_laugh

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Mandie,

Well done for losing all that weight, you look great  - I take my hat off to you!
I agree with you, that walking is a wonderful way to tone your body.
Thanks for sharing your photo and it is nice to have a face to the name.
I enjoy walking our dog and is such a good way to get some exercise.
I also have an Elle MacPherson workout video that I try and do 2 or 3 times
a week.

Hugs Carolyn

bear_original

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I've fallen off the wagon due to depression and have put on 40lb that I would dearly like to lose. I know how since I lost 120 lb and kept it off for 3 yr but I just haven't been able to commit to it yet. Would love any help I can get, including someone to boot me away from food. Stress eating is my downfall.

Marion

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

yeah. I know Marion. Stress eating is a killer!!! I need a boot camp instructor to keep me away from food. Maybe that's the answer eh?? LOL
I don't think I'm a stress eater, but I think it's more of an addiction. If I try not to eat before bed, all I do is lay in bed, and think about how badly I want food. Then I'll even dream about it all night.
Funny how we know what makes us eat, but it's soo hard to stop.
I'll support you, but I'm too far away to give you the boot. Sorry bear_laugh

Brockville, Ontario

Heather, feel free to boot my daughter instead...maybe that'll help me.

LOL
Marion

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

how did you know that's what I wanted to do LOL:D:lol:
So does that mean you get to boot my boyfriend in the head for me??
Heather

Brockville, Ontario

I have two brothers in Calgary - they can stand in for me!!
:D
Marion

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Mandie, Ireland must be such a beautiful place and must be fabulous walking over the green hills
and getting all that exercise with the cows, sheep and fresh air.
I have a friend that has recently moved over with her family for a 5 year working holiday
and they are living in Mullingar. They are having such a great time and always heading off
overseas and visiting wonderful places and doing some fun things.

Yes, I enjoy walking our dog twice a day along the beaches or bush walks and is always nice
to go somewhere different. I find it such a great way to exercise.

:)

Hugs
Carolyn

Board footer