Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Well....I've been to Hove today to attend the British Bear Artist Awards at the British Bear Fair....

I arrived at 9:45am to set my bear up on the judging table before the public were allowed in at 10am. As soon as I saw the bears by the lady I was up against I nearly cried - she has a big display consisting of 3 bears playing banjo's and sitting in loungers etc on a bed of hay with a fence all around etc - I thought to myself 'how can my 6" bear possibly be any comparison to that?' so with that I went outside to ring my mum to tell her I'd arrived safely and said 'Mum, I don't stand a hope in hell'......I was feeling really deflated by now....  bear_cry

I kept my chin up and went around looking at all the bears for sale and chatting to all the Artists which really put me in a fantastic mood - with the exception of a few, all of them were really lovely.

There was a free prize draw which had a £40 voucher to spend at the show as a 1st prize, and a £25 voucher as a 2nd prize. My mum, godmother and god-sister also put their names in for the draw which was being announced at 2pm. Well....at 2pm the tannoy came on and said 'Here are the results of the fre prize draw - the first prize of a £40 voucher goes to dadada (can't remember her name!! lol), and the second prize of a £25 voucher goes to........Gemma Jeffries'!!!! I'd won a £25 voucher to spend at the fair!! I was thrilled as I'd never really won anything before - I thought it was a great compensation for the fact that I didn't stand a chance in the competition.....at least I'd won SOMETHING!!  bear_thumb

The competition results were announced at 3pm. We all stood there in the hall while the runner-up and winners were announced from each category. It got to category 9 (which was my category - only between me and 1 other lady) and I made sure I was standing at the front so I could collect my runner-up certificate...they said 'The runner-up of category 9 is.............Teddy Bear Quazey'...it didn't register in my brain for a few seconds till my god mother said 'Gem, you won, you won!'....they then said 'and the winner of category 9 is pickle & pumpkin'....ok, so they got my name a bit wrong but I didn't care! I was instantly shaking like a leaf and couldn't quite believe what I'd heard.....I HAD WON! I was presented with a beautiful crystal vase engraved with 'British Bear Artist Award 2006. Category 9.' I will receive my certificate in the post.

So, I had 2 wins in 1 day!! lol......I'm still on cloud 9 and can't quite believe it!  :dance:  :dance:

Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the lady's bears I was against....she had taken them away before I could get a picture....actually, even before she was supposed to!......she didn't take well to being a runner-up even though we'd had a lovely conversation earlier in the day and she was asking advice on shading etc....I saw her after the results and said 'Hi'...she just half smiled and turned the other way!!

Anyway, here are some pictures for you to enjoy:

A few of the other competition pieces.
show_002a.jpgshow_005a.jpg
show_007a.jpgshow_010a.jpg

My bear with my vase.
show_011a.jpgshow_012a.jpg

And.......a bear I treated myself to! The beautiful clown bear above (which won it's category) is by the same lady as my lovely panda 'Yanzi'.......the dark fur on Yanzi is actually a beautiful deep aubergine alpaca.  bear_wub
show_014a.jpg

There's also more news........Kirste McCall (the editor of TBCI) was one of the judges....she came and spoke to me after the the awards and said 'Why haven't you sent any pictures in to me?'...I just looked at her confused! She then said 'I'd love it if you could email me some pictures - I want to do a feature on you'.........my head is spinning with all this good news here!  bear_rolleyes

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

sarahjane Brisbane

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  So well done Gemma!!!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Sounds like you had a fantastic day Gemma :dance:  :clap:  :dance:  :clap:  :dance:
I am happy that you had such a great day and congratulations on winning your category bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb
Laurie :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

That is just stupendous, Gemma!  What a day you've had . . . and very well deserved, too!

beary_clairey Luton

Go Gemma, Go Gemma !!!!

You know how proud I am of you and know how much you really deserve your award!!! You are on your way my girl !!

Just remember me when your a famous bear artist commanding a £1000 a bear !!!

LOL

Hugs

Claire  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

clapW4.gif

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Congratulations Gemma, what a fantastic achievement for you... I am so pround for you

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

WOW, Gemma!!!! FANTASTIC!!!!!!  AWESOME!!!! VERY WELL DONE!!!
:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

:hug:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Well done Gemma...that is fantabulous news!!!  :dance:  :clap:  :dance:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

That is great Gemma! Well done and I suppose you are still up on cloud 9 and you have every right to be!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I told you you would win!  No suprise for me, but so glad you won!!!  You must be on cloud 9 at the moment - congratulations on your win!!!!!!!!!!  Oh and on the feature - yay - you go girl!
Danni

dusty attic dusty attic bears
somerset

WELL DONE GEMMA, CONGRATULATIONS. :dance: :clap:    :dance:  : :clap:   :dance:  :clap:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Yay Gemma you rock! Congratulations on a well deserved award.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
bear_thumb bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower  bear_thumb  bear_flower

bearsbyTracey BearsbyTracey
Wellington, New Zealand

congratulations Gemma :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

hugs
Tracey

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

WELLL DONE GEMMA - SUCH FANTASTIC NEWS - what a day you had and so well deserved  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Big Hugs
Catherine

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

So glad to hear you had such a good day Gemma!  Congratulations!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Yes, I am STILL walking on cloud 9 and still can't quite believe it's happened!  bear_innocent  bear_rolleyes

I really appreciate your wonderful words of encouragement!

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awwww Gem that's brilliant!!   What an exciting day for you!!   :dance:   Can I have your autograph.....?!  bear_whistle  bear_wub

Fantabulous!!!   :hug:  :hug:

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Congratulations Gemma, thats wonderful bear_original  Your little bear has such a sweet expression.

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

YAY, Gemma! Congratulations on both wins! I'm glad to hear you had such a fantastic day.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Fantastic news! I remember your post on what name to call the entry, a very happy ending! :dance:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

:clap: :dance:  Congratulations Gemma!!   :dance:  :clap:  Sounds like a wonderful day (very nice bonus to win the certificate to spend at the fair!!)  Love the pics up top too...how cool is that Kiss Bear??

:hug:
~Chrissi

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Congrats, Gemma!
You well deserved it!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Awww GEMMA WELL DONE HON  bear_thumb  :hug:

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Big congratulations Gemma!