Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

but....I can't seem to find the thread where someone recommended where to buy nice synthetic fur.  Does anyone remember where that is?  Or can they repeat the info...

Shantell

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have no idea off the top of my head.  But just as a reminder, there is a SEARCH feature available on TEDDY TALK.  Click SEARCH in the colored menu bar at the top of your screen and type in a key word or two like "synthetic" in this case.  See what you find!

I totally forgot we even had this feature until the other day, myself.  So just thought I'd give a heads-up reminder to everyone else, too! bear_original

Willamette Valley Oregon

I actually use that feature quite often...try to look before I ask...although I'm getting forgetful and sometimes ask, then look... :/

I might have seen it on the Edinburgh forum....I'll check there too.  Thanks!!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I thought Dilu told me Intercal - It was her topic I think.....

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Shantell...

I am addicted to faux-fur and have a huge stash...I started off hating it and said I'd never use it but it's so tactile and scissor sculpts so beautifully...

I get most of mine from Edinburgh Imports...they have some lovely realistic ones. 'Dear-bears' is a place that I feel sells it too..as I seem to recall....there is a seller called 'Fabulous Furs' in the USA that sells top notch knitted...all you'd need to do is use an iron on lining... also Prefurs.com too...

That's a start...

Jenny

Deb Upstate New York

I ordered from here years ago.  Small shop, friendly, maybe a little slow as I recall.  On line sampling is not all that they carry.  http://www.imstuffedfur.com/homepage.html

Deb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi Shantell

Edinburgh has quite a selection and Beary Cheap in Australia seems to make it one of their specialties. 

Just remember about the backing and consider if you need to line it ....Some of the synthetics have really weak knit backings that wont stand up to firm stuffing.

Dilu

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I bought a while ago some "mini bear" fabric and it said in the description that it "didnt fray" which was true but it also didnt hold up very well to turning, stuffing, etc.... I was a little disappointed...

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Shantell,

A bit late jumping in here... but I also really like the synthetics from Edinburgh.  They have woven backings... so no need to line.

They WILL shed as you cut... but after they are cut out, use a vacuum hose to clean up the stray sheddings. (with nylon stocking over the opening so you don't suck up the bear piece)  I'd also use a mask of some type during the cutting out and vac time so you don't inhale the synthetic hairs.   After you've vacuumed, they generally don't shed anymore.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Laura
the infamous Yetti material came from Edinburgh- 4" long white yuck, that I need to order more of.  And it would have done much better lined, It was a Schulte synthetic too, but the backing was like a thin nylon knit that was not dependable.  When I use it again it will be lined for sure.

Also it's the first synthetic I had that continued to shed, even after it was done....I had that stuff everywhere... but the the other synthetics haven't done that.....but mohair is better, I think...
Dilu

Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks...I know we talked about this before but for the life of me I can't seem to find that discussion...it must be buried underneath a bunch of fur :lol::lol:

Now to decided which I want...it's so hard to choose...I keep looking and looking and looking....why can't I just have a yard of each...oh wait....that's right.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Any chance you've got a HANCOCK FABRICS near you?  I always find they have a particularly nice selection of fairly high end synthetics -- some, with a kind of faux-suede backing for coatmaking -- in our local shop, and I'm just in Chico... not exactly a huge urban metropolis.  Doesn't hurt to stop in for a peek, if you do...

Willamette Valley Oregon

No such luck...I am incredibly disappointed in our craft stores around here.  I didn't realize just how lacking they were until now.  I guess there just isn't a demand for bears in my neck of the woods.  I know there's a pun there somewhere I just can't grasp it today.  They do however have some cute adornments so I shouldn't complain to much.

I just need to sit down and decide...I've been living with too many Libra's for too many years...my decision making skills have been seriously influenced.

Deb Upstate New York

Shantell ~

Hancock sells on-line!

Deb

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I wonder if an alternative way to getting control over the synthetics stretch may be to paint the backing with a solution of water and white glue? I havehead of spraying glue ( messy)
                                                                                                 .........Winney

Board footer