Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

I have purchased a large panda for a friend of mine who is wild about pandas and adores 'em.  This is a fairly large bear, and oh-so-cuter than this photo portrays, but anyways---

panda.jpg

The bear is 26"-28" sitting, so a bit of a lug.  He's got a lush thick synthetic fur [very pretty and soft], and I was thinking perhaps tweaking his pawpads & footpads [simple needlesculpting, I can handle that part of it], but I would also like to add some shading to his face, softening the black of his eyepatches and blending them into the white.  I don't have an airbrush...so what would be the best way to go about this?  Am not accustomed to working in this large of a size either, so should be fun!

Are oils safe to use for tinting on synthetics, or should I get some acrylic and try shading that way?  I'm not going to mess with taking the eyes out, they're just a large pupil with a simple ring of brown for an iris, so that's just average but since I'm not sewing it from scratch, can't complain there!

Thank you for your time!

=)

Best,

Amelia

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I see noone came to your aid Amelia. You more than likely got lost in the crowd.
I am interested in what you finally did with this one.??
Do you have any pics for us?
Wendy bear_thumb

K Pawz Guest

Wow he is Awesome Amelia!!! You could try to work with some Prismacolor markers, and a blending marking to soften the eyes...prismacolors come in all kinds of colors and the blender as well, here I am able to purchase the individual colors for about $6 instead of buying the whole set which runs about $200...they are really easy to work with and as long as you use the prisma blender they blend nicely..but make sure you heat set with a hair dryer...they dry pretty quickly and don't leave the sticky feel as some markers do, I have used them on synthetic and mohair and worked great on both, but I would have to say the took better to synthetic, just don't put on too heavy at first, work in layers and let each dry..
hope this helps,
Hugs,
Krista

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

when im blending smaller bears, i usualy use an artist brush , i blunt the hairs with scissors so its like a stippling brush and then use a fabric pen and blend away with the brush... you could just use a bigger brush!!
hope that is of some help xx

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions but aawww he is fantastic bear_wub .. I want him bear_wub  Hope you managed to do what you wanted to him :dance:

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

I would use acrylic paints and dry brush them on....very easy to control the paint and placement. Lightly load your brush with paint, then I just use a piece of paper to rub most of it off until it is just a faint shadow, then apply to your bear. Like Kim mentioned above, I too use a blunt tip brush. I do also heat set mine after I am done.

Good luck!

Bear hugs,

Kim

Board footer