Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

lulubears Posts: 280

I mailed a bear to a gentleman in England on the 27th of December, and quite naturally, it hasn't yet arrived.  Since it went to an overseas destination, it can't be tracked on the USPS website past the point it actually left the states.  I called the post office today and they indicated that it is actually sitting at a postal facility in England, but has yet to be delivered.  He said that the postal system was shut down and did not accept any mail and/or packages from the US for over a week.  Now, that huge backlog of mail has been accepted and they are attempting to deliver it, thus the delay.  Is this true or was this guy just feeding me a line?  I have explained to the purchser of the bear all of this, and have stayed in constant communication.  I'm a little nervous that he's going to ask for his money back and have it taken from my Paypal account, which is how he paid for the bear.  I did insure the package and also required a signature for delivery, so worst case scenario, I would get the bear back.  Can anyone in the UK comment?  Thanks once again.

Luann

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Luann  :doh:   I feel rather guilty because I was rather pushing you in the direction of selling to this man. 

Surely Paypal won't taken money from your account when the bear is insured and you can see it has yet to be delivered.  Who knows with Paypal though, they seem to be a bit of a toothless tiger sometimes.

It seems odd to me that the UK wouldn't be accepting mail for a week - wonder why!!

I hope it all works out OK.  It hasn't be THAT long for it not be delivered - just keep in contact with the man, keep him happy, and be positive.. it will be delivered soon, it will be delivered soon LOL

Danni
P.S I'm SURE they CAN contact the postal depot your package is sitting at - I've had one here (here being Australia) contact the UK also.

lulubears Posts: 280

Hi Danni.  Please don't feel like you pushed me.  Once the money hit my paypal account for the bear, I e-mailed him back and forth more than once to make absolutely sure I was dealing with someone who really wanted the bear and wouldn't back out of the deal.   I was able to ge the lady at the post office to confirm that his address was real (worked out that she used to live there, and knew it well).  She also helped me fill out all the proper forms to make sure the package was insured, as well as to be delivered only with a signature.  I felt okay about it after it all checked out, and he has been in constant communication with me as well.  I've sent him all the mailing label numbers and custom form numbers as well, so he's really been pretty patient.  I think he waited a bit too late to order the bear for his fiance and is faced with having to explain why her gift is late. 

Of course, it didn't help that during the holidays, our post offices were closed for Christmas, then New Years, as well as the day after New Year's due to a former president's death. 

I'm feeling okay about the transaction, but people can be weird, and Paypal can be even weirder.  Fingers crossed it all works out, as I'm sure it will.

Hugs,
Luann

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Luann...there was a postal-strike..I think in Birmingham..it only lasted a day or so but was only a local thing so depending which sorting office it was going to it may or may not be true.

I have mixed feelings about our UK postal service..I've had good and not so good service from them.

However.. I am not sure that it's true that mail is not accepted for a long period..so far as I can see the 23rd, 24th, 25th and 26th December are out as far as mail goes...then the 30th ..being a Saturday is iffy...31st is out so too is 1st Jan...but after that things are back to normal. I posted something to the USA on the 2nd Jan it was recieved on the 8th...so something is working!!! It's nonsense that depots won't accept mail here in the UK for a week...but on the other hand they may have a backlog if your parcel was involved in the strike.

Board footer