Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
lulubears Posts: 280

We were sitting in our living room tonight and all of a sudden our ceiling fan turned to high speed without warning.  It has a remote control, and on occasion, if someone in the neighborhood opens their garage door with a remote, the fan will change speeds.  My husband jumped up to run outside to see if he could figure out who it was so that we can compare frequencies and change the one on the fan so that we can fix the problem.  When he opened the front storm door a cat ran in the house.  We thought it was the neighbors, but it ran right past our dog and straight for the food bowl.  Since their cat has never been in here before, we realized what (and who) was in our house.  It was our cat that went missing in November!  It would have been six weeks ago this Sunday that he went missing.  I have posted fliers, talked to every neighbor for blocks, been to the shelter more times than I can count, called dead animal pickup, etc.  I have tried everything I could think of, including posting a message about him on my website.  After fielding calls from as far away as Houston from people thinking they had him, he is sitting here in the living room.   He is SKINNY!  When he left, he weighed about 12 or 13 pounds, and I doubt if he weighs 3 or 4 now.  He looks pretty good overall, though, and his coat is in good shape.  I think he has been locked in someone's garage all this time and couldn't get out.  Who cares where he's been?  We're off to the vet first thing in the morning to have a good checkup and get the all clear.

I'd been told that cats could live for several weeks without food or water and longer if they were heavy to begin with.  Thank goodness he was fat and healthy when he left.  That's probably why he is still alive and made it home.  He still has his collar on, though I'm not sure how it has stayed on him.  There's a 3 or 4 inch gap between the collar and his scrawny neck.

It's turned out to be a pretty darned good day!

Luann

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

What a heart warming story!  Poor kitty though I'm sure he will be gaining weight soon with all the lovin he will be getting! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Jane

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Lucky kitty!  I'm so happy for you, although that story sounds like it would make a great plot for a Ben Stiller movie.  Enjoy your prodigal cat!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Luann, that is indeed fantastic!  Hooray . . . that kitty rocks!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh wow!!!!  That's such a WONDERFUL story!!!!  It put such a big smile on my face!!  Post a piccy on here, so we can all see this lucky kitty!!!!!

Give him a  :hug: for me!
Danni

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I saw his picture on your website just yesterday!!! I'm so glad he's home! He's a beautiful kitty!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Luann, Ive noticed your cat's picture on your website too, and I broke my heart.  I love cats.  I am soooooo glad he is home!  Give him a snuggle for me, will you please.

hugs,

Brenda

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Luann: Poor little fellow. And he was starving....Thank goodness he came home. I'm glad he is going to the vet. He may need a special diet to fatten him up some. And he will need lots of love which I am sure you will provide for him....

Very nice ending to a  heartbeaking beginning.

Luann,
     I just remembered he was an orange tabby!  No wonder he got into trouble - we have an orange cat and he is just unbelievably nosey! 

Hugs,

Brenda

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Oh, the poor baby! bear_cry   But what a lucky kitty to find his way home again.  I'm sure you will have him back to good health soon, and I'll just bet he's overjoyed to be home with you! bear_wub  bear_wub It's so good to hear a happy ending like this......makes my heart glad!

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

That's brought a tear to my eye!  bear_cry

It is such wonderful news.  :hug:

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

yes great story i love cats and that was a great story  thank you ,did you ever get the fan worked out ???

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

I am sooo happy for you, wonderful that he has come home.  I'm sure with lots of love and tlc and yummy food that he'll be better soon too. :dance:

puca bears puca bears

Luann
what wonderful news - you must be so relieved and HAPPY! We had one of our cats go missing a couple of months ago - she was only gone from the Monday evening till early Sat morning, and boy, was she THIN and starving when she returned - I can imagine that yours will need a LOT of feeding up...six weeks is a hell of a long time!
big huggies
Maria :dance:

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

That is a great Luann.You must be so pleased-I know I would have been.I should think that he will be really spoilt and fussed over now.
Laurie :hug:

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I also saw the picture on your website yesterday.  I am so happy for you and your cat.  I know what that feels like.  As a child I went through a similar situation with my favorite cat.  When she finally came home, I was one happy little girl.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

jodi-s-avatar--Patty--200-pix.jpg

Oh my goodness !! Praise GOD !!!! I am so glad he is back in your loving arms and I bet he is pretty darn glad also !! Bless your heart. I pray he is in good shape and he will bounce back to fat and sassy !!!

K Pawz Guest

:dance:  I am so happy for you Luann...I know how awful it is when they go missing, and also know the elated feeling you are feeling when they finally come home!!!!
Some TLC and he will be back to normal in no time!!!

Hugs,
Krista

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Luann that is just FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunnie-with-Ug-Bun.jpgThanks to everyone regarding our cat, Gunnie.  Here is a picture of him before he went missing.  He is laying on a table next to one of Sue Ann's bunnies.  To give you an idea of his size, the bunny is about 7" high while sitting down.  The table, which he insists on laying on, is only about 2 feet wide, so naturally, he hangs off of every side of it.  Anyway...this is him in better days - looking good.  We're off to the vet this morning, but he did well through the night, and is eating and drinking with no problems.

Again - thanks everyone.  We are very fortunate to have him back!

Luann

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Luann,
What a wonderful blessing that your kitty found it's way back to you!!! One question came to mind when I was reading your post...did your hubby look around outside...maybe your kitty had a remote & knew it would turn that ceiling fan on & get your attention bear_grin

Hugs &

Hey!  That's pretty funny Charlotte, especially since one of the other cats is notorious for changing the tv and fan settings by sitting or stepping on the remotes.  We were in such disbelief when he showed up at the door after all this time, we forgot all about whose garage remote might have been what triggered our fan.

It seems that no matter where you put the remote, something with fur will find it and sit on it!

Luann

Well, we are back from the vet's office, and they were just amazed at his condition.  His coat, eyes, teeth, gums, and everything look good.  Other than losing half of his body weight, he is in remarkable condition.  We were advised to feed him only 1/2 cup of food a day in increments of 1 tablespoon at a time throughout the day for about 3 weeks.  Then, we can gradually increase the amount of food until he is up to his normal routine of grazing all day.  I'm going to give him some vitamin supplements, but otherwise, they said to take him home and enjoy him.  He is is perfect health.   He weighed 14 pounds before he went missing and now weighs 7.  They asked us to take weekly photos and weigh him at the same time.  This way, we can see his improvement, and they can keep the info in his file.  They see no reason that he will not get back to his original weight in 6 months time.  Once he starts looking a little better, I'll post a new photo of him.  Right now, he's not very "photogenic".  Ha!

Again, thanks for all of your support.  It really means a lot to have friends like all of you.

Hugs,
Luann

Luann,
     Thanks so much for posting about Gunnies' vet visit - it's really remarkable that he is in such good condition.  You must be over the moon!  Will you keep him inside for a wee bit, until he starts to regain his weight?  I'd be so nervous of him disappearing again!
     We have made our orange tabby, Thumper,  an inside kitty, since our move in August, much to his disgust.  He did get out on evening for about 6 hours and he came home with 4 gouge marks on his back, which I think might be from a large hawk or owl.  Thumper is quite petite, and we have a kazillion rabbits here, so I think someone thought he looked tasty.  I was planning to let him out in the spring, but now I'm not sure, after watching a huge hawk go after a gray squirrel across the street!  We but have a 24 1/2 lb cat named Bear, but no bird could get him LOL! 

hugs,

Brenda

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Luann: thanks for giving an update on what the vet said. I so glad he will be o.k. I'm with the others though, keep him as an indoor cat. Life is too scary on the outside for little creatures like cats.

Pages:

Board footer