Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
lulubears Posts: 280

I decided to post this to the "General" section, as I think everyone must have a personal opinion on this.  I have been bugged for literally all the years I have been hosting our bear shows to allow cloth dolls, resin figurines, folk art, etc.  I have stuck to my grounds, and allowed only artist bears.  (To add to the mix, I only allow the artist that made the bears to sell them, as I don't allow re-sellers.)  No mass-produced, or commercial bears - no stores.  Period.  (We do have suppliers, however.)

I advertise my shows as "All Artist Bear Shows".  From our collectors comments, it appears that is what our collectors wait for all year long and come to the show for - Artist Bears!

I realize that a lot of us are delving into dolls, mixed media, etc., but should we draw a line as to what we put on our tables at the "bear" shows?  I read Art Doll Quarterly because of the incredible dolls in it.  I read the bear magazines because of the bears in them.  It seems that the magazines are beginning to cross over into each other's territories.  While it gives us an opportunity to try new things and push our limits, does it mean we have to change the bear shows by allowing other types of media?

Sales seem to be stagnant in some markets, ie e-Bay, for bears.  The resale market is dismal at best.  Why, then, would we want to limit our market even further adding in other types of media at a bear show?  Wouldn't we be better off promoting a mixed media show?  I think the prices might fluxuate greatly, and it might be conceived as a craft show if not thoughtfully planned out and strict guidelines followed.  I just got another e-mail pushing me to change my mind and add in the dolls, art figures, etc., with the bears.  I would find it difficult, at best, to be able to maintain a quality show when you have no idea what is coming in the door.  The only possible answer would be to jury the show.  I'm not too crazy about that idea either.   By not jurying the show, this allows all types of bear artists an opportunity to show their work, and they are not chosen due to my - or a group's personal likes and dislikes.

What makes you as an artist choose which shows to do?  Cost of tables?  Shows only within driving distance?  Reputation of the promoter?  Reports you've heard from others - whether they've done the show or not?  The merchandise allowed at the show?

Am I the only one that want to go to a bear show to sell and/or buy artist bears?  Are we as artists beginning to ditch the idea of supporting bear shows and starting to look for the type of shows that allow all kinds of media, including bears and dolls?  Please don't get me wrong!  I love all the different types of media as well, but am just not wanting to add it to my bear shows.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Luann

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Interesting question, and one I haven't thought about too explicitly yet, actually.  I didn't realize there was such a push to broaden the all-bear shows into something more mixed-media.

First, to answer your questions.

The absolute biggest determinant for me, when it comes to choosing which shows I'll do, is AVAILABILITY OF INVENTORY.  I make bears slowly and sell them as I make them, so gearing up for a show is a long process and it means I'm "holding back" inventory I'd otherwise sell.  That's significant, because I use that money to pay bills.  So doing shows is something of a financial hardship for me because I have no income while I prep inventory.  For that reason, I only do one show a year.  I simply can't live that way for more two months per year; that's about how long I give myself to prep inventory for the April Nevada City show I've done for the past two years.  Two months.

Beyond that inventory issue, ALL the things you mentioned -- cost of tables, driving distance, promoter reputation, reports from others, merchandise allows (juried or non juried show) -- are taken into account in choosing shows.  And all of those things WORK for and please me when it comes to the Nevada City show, which is why I do it and will continue to do it, perhaps to the exclusion of other shows in perpetuity.  It's hard NOT to do it when all those aspects are so perfectly suited to my own personal needs.

On to your other concers, though...

Speaking just for myself,  I LOVE a show of beautiful, art-level, hand-crafted items no matter WHAT the product.  Bear, doll, painting, artist trading card, collage or altered book items, sculpture, woodcarving, jewelry, handmade glass objects... whatever!  So if a show was produced which truly was a gallery-worthy showcase of many types of handcrafted art, I would definitely not just attend, but consider showing there.

However, I think that's a pipe dream and that in reality it would be really hard both to gather those artisans and to promote such a show.

It occurs to me, Luann, that if you want to keep the focus on bears at your show, then it's possible to do that while still allowing other media in to your shows, perhaps broadening both your exhibitor list AND your attendee list in the process.  You could do so with the caveat that each table must be 50% bears... or some such figure.  That way, exhibitors can also showcase art dolls, artist trading cards, or other handmade wares, which will each bear the stamp, style, and signature of the particular artist at each table, but the majority of each table -- or at least half of each table -- will still be artist bears.  I'm not sure this is possible as perhaps the doll exhibitors that are contacting you are entirely separate from the bearmakers you serve.  ???  But it's just one thought.

I have to say that I find it really jarring and unpleasant to go to shows where there are beautiful, handcrafted artist bears at one table, and then boxes of plastic dolls -- even beautiful ones, like Tonner and Odom designs -- at the table next door.  It's like my viewing pleasure comes to a screeching halt... not because of the presence of DOLLS, but because of the shift from hand-made to mass-produced, and because of the shift from home-grown display to rows and rows of BOXES.

I think mass-produced bears and dolls have a wonderful place in our industry and can bring collectors into artist bears and dolls collecting by starting them out at prices everyone can afford.  But I agree, that a show isn't the place for wares of that kind, and I prefer not to see them at the shows I attend.

I also enjoy, by the way, the idea of a juried show.  I'd rather spend my admission fee and time somewhere I KNOW will have great work than somewhere that might, or might not, have products that interest finicky me.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have to say that I find it really jarring and unpleasant to go to shows where there are beautiful, handcrafted artist bears at one table, and then boxes of plastic dolls -- even beautiful ones, like Tonner and Odom designs -- at the table next door.  It's like my viewing pleasure comes to a screeching halt... not because of the presence of DOLLS, but because of the shift from hand-made to mass-produced, and because of the shift from home-grown display to rows and rows of BOXES.

This has been my experience with every bear/doll mixed show I've attended or participated in and it has turned me off to ever doing another show like that. I see that there is a cross over in the MAGAZINES but in collectors.... when they are at a bear/doll show I find those doll collectors are only there for DOLLS and few even LOOK at the bears.

A high-end, gallery quality show would indeed be wonderful and I've seen them done, participate in a few also but they are run by the fine arts league here in my state which has a very rigid jury process and a STAFF that puts on these shows. It could be done on a much smaller scale but to jury it fairly you'd need folks familiar with each medium to critique submissions.

To allow other arts into a bear show makes it no longer a bear show, does bring many more potential buyers and creates a whole new atmosphere. A wonderful one at that with lots of marvelous eye candy and special finds! It's then an art show in my opinion.

I have had wood crafters ask to participate in my shows with bear sized furniture and display fixtures, quilters with bear sized quilts, painters who will do bear portraits, a writer who wrote a book of teddy bear poems with value lessons in each poem for kids. All of these fit into the bear theme and cater to collectors of teddy bears so I absolutely say YES!!

Not sure this helps but sharing my 2 cents as always! bear_tongue

I think Shelli's post about coming to a screeching halt at some of the things she sees at some of the shows are exactly why I want to focus on the artist bears.  I do allow the artists that come to my shows to bring other items with them as well, but the main focus needs to be the bears.  I've had people display a pillow on the corner of their table that had bear/gollie related buttons or pins.  Some may bring books, vintage clothing/shoes suitable for use with bears - that type of thing.  We do have people that bring gollies, bunnies, etc.  I'm certainly open to that type of item, and do allow them, as long as they are artist made.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to tell people that a certain percentage of their table must be artist bears - but you will always have one that will defy you.  In their opinion, once they have paid the table fee, it is their table and they will dare you to enforce the rules.  I've had artists show up with everything on their table handmade- but only a couple of bears.  Then, they complain because their sales were poor.  Even after customers ask where their bears are - they still don't seem to get it.

I applaud Daphne for allowing people to bring in wooden furniture, quilts, etc.  My experience has been that unless you have seen the work of these people beforehand - you run a high risk of getting "craft" type items, at "craft" prices.  This is insulting to the artists and puts them in no better a position than being placed next to someone selling $5 bears. 

I've considered the "gallery" type show, and feel like that would be the place to try the different types of media.  In light of how difficult it seems to be for promoters across the country to get artists to sign up for even the most affordable shows, I'm not real confident the artists would be eager to sign on to a "high end" show that would obviously cost more to produce and avertise.

Oh well.  Interesting situation, at best.

Luann

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My very first show was a Bright Star Production back in 1997 and Valerie Rogers had a lot of tips and suggestions for first-timers.  One thing she stressed was to have a low-cost item(s) at your table to sell in addition to the higher priced artist bears.  I've always tried to do that, because if my bears aren't selling very well, I can at least be reasonably sure I'll make some sales with my cheaper stuff.  Not selling anything is truly discouraging - and still is at my advanced age - and I am relieved somewhat when I can say I sold every one of my homemade mousepads (with my bears' photos on them) even if I only sold 2 in-the-fur bears.  So, I firmly believe in having something else to sell besides artist bears at my table.  How do gollies fit in?  I've recently made a few and they've sold well, but I don't know how to classify them . . . doll or bear accessory?  My bear sales at shows have declined in the last couple of years (so, what else is new?) and my gut reaction is to have more lower priced stuff for sale so I can at least make back my show expenses.  A very dicey situation for some of us.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

This is not bear show related... but I wanted to mention... my husband went to a diecast show last week.... and he said that there were about 20 less tables there than last year.  It's at the same time of year each year.  Chicago area....  Just thought I'd mention that it's not just bear shows...

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Most doll shows allow bear traders- but dolls are rarely at bear shows-  so its sort of a double standard bear_happy
   From my experience, doll collectors are far more likely to also collect bears than bear collectors to buy dolls... it's funny.... I can sell as many bears at a doll show (when I take dolls and bears) as I do at a bear show. One of our better bear shows here this year is also introducing dolls- I am in two minds about whether to take dolls though..... partly because they are such a pain to pack but also because I don't know that there will be much point, doll collectors have dropped off the secne faster than bear collectors! bear_sad
    Here in OZ we have very few shows that have sellers that sell large amounts of mass produced dolls, and I haven't been to  a US show in so long, so I can only imagine how they take over, they don't intrest me to look at at a show. But then again, people are going to take what sells for them, so some people must still be buying them?.
      I do love the all bear shows though I have to admit! I can see why you want to keep it just bears Luann- perhaps you could separate the others? Tho I have to admit I don't like doing shows that have things in separate areas .

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Laura Lynn wrote:

This is not bear show related... but I wanted to mention... my husband went to a diecast show last week.... and he said that there were about 20 less tables there than last year.  It's at the same time of year each year.  Chicago area....  Just thought I'd mention that it's not just bear shows...

I was told a couple of years ago now that it's the entire collectables area thats being affected.... it puzzles me how it seemed like an entire chunk of collectors just all decided to stop collecting lots of different things?

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I've been sitting here thinking of "My Perfect Bear Show."  The closest show that comes to mind....and I've never been to it....only read about it in the magazines....would be the Earth Angels show which takes place twice a year at the home of hostess Jen O'Conner. 

By reading the latest article and viewing the pictures presented in the February 2007 issue of Teddy Bear and Friends, Ms. O'Conner combines bears, dolls and mixed media.  Ms. O'Conner makes the show into an "Event" rather than a bear show. 

Maybe that's where a lot promoters are missing the boat.  Perhaps collectors are just tired of the same old shows.  Perhaps what the buying public wants is an event.  I want an event!!  I would love to do this type of thing in my home.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  Jen O'Conner is the promoter of Earth Angels Toys.  www.EarthAngelsToys.com

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Aleta, I think you would do a wonderful event!.....you certainly have a beautiful place for it.  Maybe this is a direction bear shows will go, smaller more exclusive events....just thinking.

Joan

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Funny, I was just thinking earlier today that I wish I had a big enough house to have a home show. Laura Lynn really inspired me on that one as did Jared (where is Jared these days?). Maybe I'll figure something out...... someday.....

Luann,
My shows are juried... even those with 'other' arts must submit photos or a sample and I'm picky!  bear_tongue But I do feel that where artist participation is not at it's peak that it helps to fill in the spaces and ALSO is a service to the collectors... they need a place to put their bears, accessories for them, etc. and I don't know about you but I'm always on the search for ANYTHING BEAR!!! I figure collectors are too.

I agree with Sue Ann that a variety of price ranges is nice.... folks don't like to go home empty handed when they go to a show. Yet not all can afford a $125 bear!

I was also thinking earlier today after reading this post that the show I did last year, my first, went off great! I never felt overwhelmed and thoroughly enjoyed planning it. Everyone loved the show and I everyone said not to change a thing!  But this year... I'm giving thought to more options, more requests, more suggestions and I'm finding myself getting overwhelmed. Is it possible that the best rule for a show is to keep it simple? For all involved? Maybe not, I dunno.  ***sigh*** If we take on too much be it awards, demos, credit card service, door prizes, products sold etc. how can we do our best on every one of these 'extras'? They are apt to be half-hearted efforts and thus not very successful or the draw we intended them to be.

Just some thoughts.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Aleta, I think Jen O'Connor's fests are fantastic! You really can't beat that kind of atmosphere and personal attention.  I get Home Companion Magazine and that's where I first saw her ads. 
After seeing pics of your home and your entertaining flare you could totally host an event! Start a west coast tradition  bear_flower

:hug:
~Chrissi

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Aleta - The Silly Bear wrote:

I've been sitting here thinking of "My Perfect Bear Show."  The closest show that comes to mind....and I've never been to it....only read about it in the magazines....would be the Earth Angels show which takes place twice a year at the home of hostess Jen O'Conner. 

By reading the latest article and viewing the pictures presented in the February 2007 issue of Teddy Bear and Friends, Ms. O'Conner combines bears, dolls and mixed media.  Ms. O'Conner makes the show into an "Event" rather than a bear show. 

Maybe that's where a lot promoters are missing the boat.  Perhaps collectors are just tired of the same old shows.  Perhaps what the buying public wants is an event.  I want an event!!  I would love to do this type of thing in my home.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  Jen O'Conner is the promoter of Earth Angels Toys.  www.EarthAngelsToys.com

ohhhhhh those look like so much fun! I have drooled over the pics of Earth Angels events many times!:) How wonderful to be able to go to/participate/organise something like that!

Hi Aleta.  Your posting is the first time I've ever heard of Jen O'Connor's events.  I looked at the website, but really didn't see much information on her event other than the dates.  I'm assuming that she opens her home to a group of invited artists and then invites the public in to browse and purchase.  We used to do this on a small scale, but can no longer do it.  We used to thoroughly enjoy having the artists come to our house, but it was certainly a small scale happening.

I live in a small home that simply isn't condusive to inviting the general public into for something like this. I live in a residential area, and parking becomes a problem if you have too many people come.  I simply don't have the type of home that would accommodate this type of show.

When you say you want an "event", are you just talking about ambience or the whole nine yards?  I've seen events set up where there is a wine and cheese reception, full sit-down dinners, invited artists participating by bringing bears exclusive to the event for display and sale, dessert reception, etc.    I can't imagine what this must cost to produce, and the price point of the bears alone would probably leave most feeling daunted.  Given that a lot of the artists aren't willing to even pay $150 for a table at an established bear show with a good track record, how many would realistically be able to participate in something that costs even more?

What are artists willing to pay for this type of idea?  I agree that maybe some of us are stuck in a rut, but it difficult to make changes when only a handful of responses are received.

We have received a lot of comments from collectors that the price of the bears is really leaving them in the dust.  They simply can't afford to pay some of the prices being placed on the bears.  God only knows that most couldn't come close to producing some of the work they would love to buy, but I think some of the artist may have forgotten the shock they themselves felt when they first realized exactly what artist bears cost.  Perhaps the artists could help bring some collectors into the fold by offering some less expensive pieces.  I hope this doesn't come across as insulting or demeaning, but  if all a person has on their table is a group of bears in the $250 - $300 range and nothing else, they simply can't complain if they can't sell to new collectors.  I just don't think new collectors will jump in that deep the first time out.

Luann

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario
lulubears wrote:

We have received a lot of comments from collectors that the price of the bears is really leaving them in the dust.  They simply can't afford to pay some of the prices being placed on the bears.  God only knows that most couldn't come close to producing some of the work they would love to buy, but I think some of the artist may have forgotten the shock they themselves felt when they first realized exactly what artist bears cost.  Perhaps the artists could help bring some collectors into the fold by offering some less expensive pieces.  I hope this doesn't come across as insulting or demeaning, but  if all a person has on their table is a group of bears in the $250 - $300 range and nothing else, they simply can't complain if they can't sell to new collectors.  I just don't think new collectors will jump in that deep the first time out. 

Luann

Luann I have to agree with you regarding the price of bears at shows.  I am finding that they are getting a bit out of hand, I have seen prices going up and up over the past few yrs with fewer collectors coming through the doors.  With our supplier the prices of mohair in the past yr have dropped so much that it has allowed us to keep our prices constant and not having to increase them.  Now I know not all artist can do this as they don't get the deals on the mohair as we do.   We have a couple of bears that are higher priced but that is only because they take a lot more time to make as they are the largest bears.  Now that said I don't begrudge anyone selling their bears for large dollars if they are able to do that.  I think the artist need to listen to their collectors and the people coming to their table, if people are talking about your bear prices being to high and your not selling many bears then perphaps you need to take a closer look at your pricing. 

Regarding your question about the mixed media (dolls, bears, folk art)  I don't know how this is going to work. We are doing Schaumburg in April which has now become a Doll and Teddy Show.  It will be interesting to see how that goes, I'm sure we will see more collectors coming through the doors but I do have to say that most doll collectors don't take a second look at the bears.  I don't mean to lump everyone into one group as we have had people buy a bear from us to go with their dolls but not that often.     

I think the show Luann should be juried, I know you don't like to do this but I think you don't then you will see people coming in who's work does not meet the standards of other bear artist and this can reflect on a show as well.  Collectors want to see artist made bears and not "Home made" bears.  The difference is a bear artist spends hours on their bears paying very particular attention to detail where a bear maker of home made bears will just sew them up, no needle sculpting, no attention to detail and will just pump out low quality bears.   

It's a tough call, but all you can do it try and make some small changes and see how things go.  If they don't work then change back and stick with what was working before. 

big hugs   

Shane

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I cannot speak for what had to go on behind-the-scenes, before, during and after, the KDIGS (Kelly Dean Invitational Gallery Show), I just know about the actual show day(s) for the 3 years it was held. It was a sumptuous (sp?) event with the creme de la creme of work executed and displayed magnificently.

I was in awe to be among bear artists I'd not met, even with all of the international travel we did. We all attended and mingled with the collectors that arrived, as the promotor had worked for days just to artfully display our bears for us.

Bear Paths shop, Kelly & Ollie projected a 5-year plan. I was thrilled and extremely honored to be invited to be one of the international artists; there were about 25 if I remember correctly. We contracted to bring at least 10 very special Gallery pieces. It was held for 3 years before it became too large a deficit to be continued. Mindy attended and boosted it continually.

One of their first stumbling blocks was the date. This month was Linda's show, that month was ABC, the other was KC Jubilee, and Clarion and TBAI..and...and...  It was very difficult finding a slot that didn't infringe on other (bear-related) dates, not counting other national holidays and festivities.

A huge amount of $$ is outlaid in advance to hold the show space & hotel rooms. Not being a promotor, I cannot even begin to know all of the expenses involved.

Shows like this are truly awe-inspiring to attend and/or participate in. I have no solutions (if I did I'd be in their part of our business!) I do know that many of the collectors have become artists in their own right - for better or worse - but it is true that all collectible markets are down. It may pick up or it may not. Who knows what will happen in the international financial markets.

For those of us who do not depend on sales for the roof over our heads, we'll keep creating even if they don't sell - because we love what we do.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Luann
I have participated in shows which were all bear shows as well as juried craft shows. The bear shows I attend also allow suppliers and manufactured bears in which I feel is counterproductive as manufactured bears are so much cheaper. The suppliers I do not have a problem with as most of us purchase supplies from them at the show. What I have noticed is that customers will admire one of your bears and quiz you on how a technique was done etc and then they will purchase the supplies and leave the show .The juried craft show is held here where I live and has been in operation for 15 years and I have been in it for 12 years. I sell more bears at this show than I do at the bear shows and as well because I do custom orders for people from their fur coats I get a lot of after show business. I also look on it as being a form of advertising. Because it is in my home town the expenses are only the cost of the table. This show has a wide variety of well handmade articles so it is very well attended by the public. The cost of entering this show for  Fri night, all day Sat and Sun is the same as a bear show which runs from 10 3.30 on one day only so I get more for my money. It does take a while for a show's reputation to be built up and because this one has been going on for so long it is well known. The promoter also restricts the number of any one article so that the show doesn't say get overloaded with jewellery, dried flowers etc. She also has door prizes and part of our table rental goes towards a bursary for a promising student artist in the community I do enjoy the all bear shows as it is one way to keep in touch with fellow bear artists.
Best of luck with whatever you decide
Hugs
Gail

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Luan, I agree with your point on bear pricing. I love to make larger, highly detailed bears, with very expensive dense mohair. I know my prices for these are high, but with the time, materials, and talent that goes into them, I feel I'm being fair. I don't expect to get rich making bears and I suppose people might think that with what mine sell for I would, but when I do my itemizing at the end of the year, I usually clear just about what I would make in a month teaching school! At any rate, I will continue to make those bears because they are my passion and they do sell, but when I go to shows I like to think of the "average" collector or even the new collector as well, and to have a variety of bears including at least a few under one hundred dollars. These are still quality Tami Bears, but they are smaller and less detailed.

As for the question of other media being included in your shows, I would think that you do have to be careful. I did a doll show and it was kind of "sucky" (to borrow Shelli's word from another thread) to have my artwork next to a table (lots of tables actually) with rows of boxed (or unboxed and dusty)plastic dolls which were essentially someone's collection she was thinning out. It made me feel like I was at a yard sale.  ABC Productions' April show was mentioned  by Shane. It's being called a "Fiber Arts Festival" so I think that they are still concerning themselves with artists' work rather than mass produced collectible dolls. (These collectibles have a place too, in fact a few Ginny dolls have a place in my home, but not along side artist bears at a show.)
Here's another view, though... ( I guess I'm disagreeing with myself.) My sons went with me when I went to a show in Columbus last summer. My six year old was so excited about the idea of the bear show, he saved his allowance and did extra chores for weeks in advance. He came with a whopping $25. There was a Good Bears of the World (the charity) table which had a varitable "yard sale" of teddy bears donated by their members, all well within his budget. His eyes were wide with excitement. And Terri Stong, the wonderful director of GBW, told him, with a wink at me, that everything was half price for the sons of Teddy Bear artists! When he had made a several selections and paid for them, his brother pulled him over to an artists table saying "You've got to see this!" The artist of course had lovely hand made bears, but she pulled from behind her table a few floppy pastel  colored manufactured bears which she had priced at $3 each. Brendan was in his "blue period" at the time, that is he loved all things blue, so of course he bought a blue bear!  So perhaps there IS a place for things like that at shows. It's helping to build new collectors!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Tami that was a wonderful story about your son must have been on cloud nine.  I do agree that there can be a mix like that, you know with Good Bears of the world and even some of the manufactured bears.  I know Teddy Bears on Vacation does allow some manufactured items at their shows.  I am kinda torn with that idea but I do look at it this way.   New collectors come in and look at artist bears and they see the price, they do want to buy but some just don't have the money.  So they can pick up a cheaper manufactured bear (gund or whatever), at least they can buy something.
We had one lady at one of the Toronto shows who wanted one of our bears but just didnt' have the money and she always bought a cheaper manufactured bear.  Every show she would stop and look at our bears and she always wanted one,  well one show she came up and bought one.  She was so excited to be able to buy an artist bear, she explained to us that she had stopped buying the manufactured bears and had saved up her money to buy one of ours.  I was so excited for her and she was just over the moon, I can only remember a couple of times seeing someone so excited like that. 

As Tami said we have also strived to have a few pieces on our table that are lower priced and within reach for the not so average collector.  This way everyone has a chance to go home with a bear.   Every collector started off not buying artist bears, most started off buying a cheaper manufactured bear and they will eventually turn into a full fledged artist bear collector.

hugs

Shane

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

OOoh, I just LOVE conversations like this! It's just the stuff I've been thinking about for my own show.

Shelli,  I like your idea about putting a limit on how many 'non bear' items an artist can bring, although that would get very tough to police.

I plan on allowing any Soft Sculpture artist ( juried of course ) to sell at the show. So that means a soft bunny, horse or even doll. I'm thinking that's a good idea. I tend to be drawn not just to bears, but other soft cuddly creations.
I also agree that there should be more affordable items at a bear show. I think the bears should be all artist made and of good quality but as you guys are saying, sometimes the sticker shock for a new collector is too much for the 1st time.
So if I were going to a show for the 1st time and I fell in love with a bear from Sue Ann, I may not want to, or be prepaired to buy one of her bears. But you can bet I would love to have a mouse pad with my fav. bear on it. Then you start to really love artist bears, maybe look them up on-line and start to understand the cost involved.

So I will have one table at my show that will be selling artist bear greeting cards. I bet she'll sell well, and I don't think it will  detract from bear sales at all.
Also like Sue Ann says, cheaper items will assure you of at least making back your table costs etc.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

thebearguys wrote:

...... Every collector started off not buying artist bears, most started off buying a cheaper manufactured bear and they will eventually turn into a full fledged artist bear collector.

Shane you described me to a T!  That is how I started collecting... and now it is only artist bears :)

As an artist at the last ABC Schaumburg show... I had a number of smaller bears on my table - my small 6" Barefoot bears (which I now call Pocket Bears .. in that size)  I sold out on those... and what I heard from those collectors was that they did not have a lot of money to spend that day... and were happy to be able to find a bear that they could bring home.

As for the collector shows getting smaller... I don't think that it necessarily means people are not collecting!  I think they are using the internet because it is EASY.  Now it is much easier to purchase a diecast truck on the internet.... than a teddy bear that you will want to pick up and feel... but that is why I think the shows are slowing down.

It is not just eBay.... there's the Plum Club and other internet shows... and artist's websites too.  I'm not fighting those.... because they certainly help me!

I think it is important for teddy bear shows to carry on.... mostly so that new collectors can see artist bears in 'bearson' if you'll excuse the pun!  When a potential new bear collector sees a photo of a highpriced bear on a computer screen (and for that person... $75 might be high priced for a teddy bear!) it is MUCH harder for them to appreciate the cost of that bear (and thus start collecting) from a computer monitor VS an IN PERSON bear show!!

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
Gail wrote:

Hi Luann
What I have noticed is that customers will admire one of your bears and quiz you on how a technique was done etc and then they will purchase the supplies and leave the show.

This is a really good point regarding not only shows, but the world now.  From Home Depot to The DIY (do it yourself) Network, people are inspired and pushed to be "do it yourselfers".  Why buy when you can try seems to be the call of the times.

TamiE wrote:

As for the question of other media being included in your shows, I would think that you do have to be careful. I did a doll show and it was kind of "sucky" (to borrow Shelli's word from another thread) to have my artwork next to a table (lots of tables actually) with rows of boxed (or unboxed and dusty)plastic dolls which were essentially someone's collection she was thinning out. It made me feel like I was at a yard sale.

The "yard sale" idea still makes me think of eBay ( I know that wasn't Tami's point, but that's the overall feeling I've always gotten from eBay..it's a potluck mart of this n that where most times folks are looking to get the best "deal").  I know it's a fantastic concept to reach buyers from all over the world with those buyers setting the price for the item, but I still wonder if it is truly the best long term outlet for promoting and selling "art".  The short term picture looks great with the financial and marketing elements it brings, but what about the long term?  Is it creating a saturation of do it yourselfers trying to ride the wave of quick money, in turn tarnishing the concept of "artist bear"?  Is it hurting the industry in the long run..making it not as special or "collectible".  Below is an article I found online..it's from 2001.  I'm wondering if anyone here or in the doll world could fill in the past 6 years to see if the predictions are accurate. (??) From what I'm hearing in other threads these predictions from 2001 in the doll industry seem to be occurring now in the bear world; shops closing, manufacturers closing, demand falling, etc.  I don't have answers to my questions. And I'm not bashing anything, I'm one of those folks who truly likes roundtable discussions with all sides of the story opened up. I'm relatively new to all of this, but I hope to do it for a very long time and want to be sure my actions now allow that to happen.  I'm doing my first show in November and as excited as I am about it today I'm also a little nervous after reading all of the discussions about shows.  I'm not jazzed about making mugs and coasters right now bear_sad  Hub and I are looking at the weekend as a (long overdue) mini vacation, so the cost isn't purely driven by the show and sales..but if I'm going to continue to pursue shows I'd like them to be about sales in the very end.  I'm totally up for gallery quality items to be shown with bear artists.  I think showing the public that this IS indeed an art to be held up there with the likes of sculptors and fine arts could be key.  But that could go both ways as well...we need to be sure that our work is just as gallery quality as the next.  My view on pricing is kind of simple: there's nothing wrong with the price, if the piece demands it (from materials, to labor, to qaulity).
Here's that article I found:
http://collectdolls.about.com/library/w … 61901a.htm

~Chrissi

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

The short term picture looks great with the financial and marketing elements it brings, but what about the long term?  Is it creating a saturation of do it yourselfers trying to ride the wave of quick money, in turn tarnishing the concept of "artist bear"?  Is it hurting the industry in the long run..making it not as special or "collectible".

very well said Chrissi. That is a great point and I guess it is easier to understand the price, when you can see and feel the difference an artist bear has to a manufactured bear.
Heck, most people are SHOCKED to feel how heavy my bears are, and from there they begin to understand the difference.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
chrissibrinkley wrote:

Below is an article I found online..it's from 2001.  I'm wondering if anyone here or in the doll world could fill in the past 6 years to see if the predictions are accurate. (??) From what I'm hearing in other threads these predictions from 2001 in the doll industry seem to be occurring now in the bear world; shops closing, manufacturers closing, demand falling, etc.  I don't have answers to my questions. And I'm not bashing anything, I'm one of those folks who truly likes roundtable discussions with all sides of the story opened up. I'm totally up for gallery quality items to be shown with bear artists.  I think showing the public that this IS indeed an art to be held up there with the likes of sculptors and fine arts could be key.  But that could go both ways as well...we need to be sure that our work is just as gallery quality as the next.  My view on pricing is kind of simple: there's nothing wrong with the price, if the piece demands it (from materials, to labor, to qaulity).
Here's that article I found:
http://collectdolls.about.com/library/w … 61901a.htm

~Chrissi

Hi Chrissi,  my experience with the US market is mostly with my dolls and I have to say yes, the doll shops have closed in droves, companies are stopping production or moving it to Asia- even Annette Himstedt who was the 'goddess' of doll makers/artists, has cut way back on her dealers and is going to sell most of her production herself (much to the consternation of some of the remaining Doll Shops). There are very few left, specially ones that sell Artist dolls, which would be the equivalent of your bears. I have heard  some  bear people say there is an upturn in the doll world- sadly this isn't so from anyone I know (artists or shop owners). I don't know that Ebay can be blamed solely for it- before Ebay it was the HSN/QVC thing copping the blame (HSN no longer has artist designed dolls last thing I knew)......and before that the mass production companies (which also closed in droves)
     I have to wonder if it's partly those things and partly that things got out of hand, with pieces selling for thousands of $$, and perhaps disappointing in person  quality wise (as most people bought from photos, rather than seeing the pieces in person and photos can be very misleading and hide a lot)  My first year at Toy Fair was 1990 and boy have things changed since then- You used to be able to go to Toy Fair and walk down aisles of dolls and bears (artist pieces- not to even mention the manufacturers) and exhibiting, you could get a years worth of work in just about a morning- now it's so slow, the artists have pretty much abandoned Toy Fair for IDEX because it's more economical- I'd  love to know how the buyer attendance was there this year...... and if they bought... because last year they were very conservative.
   Oh and I have to say that by the time that article would have been written it was already a couple of years into the slowdown- people started noticing it in say 98 99- for me the February 2001 show I did in NY was it- like someone turned off a tap it was so wierd- so it wasn't even Sept 11 which has also copped some blame in some quarters.       
       Sorry I guess that got off Luann's track! bear_original  Its been on my mind a lot as Toy Fair is coming up and I am wondering just what is going to happen there this year?? I know the change in the market will be a big topic of conversation there. It's a new adventure every year hehe.    Perhaps the markets/shows need to change with the times but I for one am so sad when more shows bite the dust.... maybe as Aleta said, the events could bring in more new people to the area- maybe different crafts (as Luann started out) would bring  interest from other collector areas.....
         sorry that got so long hehe! Bye for now, Karen

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Karen, I liked reading your post.

I'm hoping bear shows aren't dead, just that maybe some of the more established ones never bothered to keep up with the times. Maybe they needed to tap into a new market, and not just hope the same old collectors come back year after year. Because really, some people only want soo many artist bears before the collection is done.

But there is money out there. Lots of it. People are buying things like crazy and I think they just need to hear about and learn to appreciate artist bears, and given the opportunity will become collectors. Or at least fall in love with a bear here and there and buy it.

I also agree that these huge prices that can be fetched on ebay aren't realistic for the majority of collectors and that alone can stop them from ever coming back to a bear show.

I love the idea of different sizes and ranges of difficulty on an aritsts table. To offer a price range for everyone.

Pages:

Board footer