Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

I want to know exactly what a "stick bear" is. Anyone with a photo of an early stick bear? And what is the history of stick bears?

-Eliza

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Eliza,
I have some info on US stick bears...quoting from my Teddy bear encylopedia by Pauline Cockrill..

"During the early craze in the US the American teddy bear acquired realistic bear features, such as an elongated muzzle, long limbs, and a hump, copying the example set by Steiff and other German manufacturers. From the end of World War 1 onwards, however, inferior quality, US made teddy bears were developed. Now known in American arctophilic circles as US stick bears, because of their reduced features, these bears were produced for the masses by many small, now forgotten, soft toy factories. Unfortunately, these companies did not attach labels to their products."

Here's a link to an old pic of a postcard with children holding an old stick bear..

http://cgi.ebay.com/c1900s-ORIGINAL-PHO … dZViewItem

nettie scotland
Website

deirdre-7.jpgI sell lots of stick bears and love them.The limbs are pretty shapeless and stick like and they were mass produced cheaply.I love them and have one from 1910 which inspired the ones I make.
Here are some pics of sam in her original outfit with some scone versions.

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Hi Eliza
OOOOOO...stick bears are my favourite!  bear_wub They have that beautiful simple line that I think is so unique but hard to achieve - Diane does it brilliantly! They have straight arms and almost no feet and the torso is straight up and down (no belly or hump) I guess this was done to save fabric. I have a couple golden oldies in this style- here is the most recent one I bought:
29f1_1.jpg 26b4_1.jpg

He's much cuter in the fur...must get a better pic :photo:

Cheryl bear_flower

Louisville, Kentucky

Oh, what beautiful pictures! Thanks everyone! That really clears things up for me! I knew that the limbs were straight and simple and they had shorter muzzles but I was not aware that they have no hump on the back nor a belly. I would eventually like to make my own version of a primitive stick bear....a small bear, not a mini like I normally do. I've been dying to make some bigger bears!

Thanks again!

p.s. Diane I just love your bears! I've been an admirer of them for quite some time now. Truly adorable.  bear_wub

-Eliza

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Denise, thanks for the research.  I love that postcard in the auction. 

Diane, your stick bears look like they popped right off of the postcard. 

Cheryl, you lucky duck to have a couple old stickbears.  I'd love to see pictures of your collection.

nettie scotland
Website

I love your bear Cheryl.I would like more but they can be hard to find.
Thanks for the kind words about my stick bears and good luck making one Eliza.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Here is a picture of one I recently got on ebay. It is a 1936 Ideal and is in remarkable shape. The eyes were replaced and the nose and mouth stitching as well, but I think it is beautiful anyway. Picture-001.jpg
Picture-008.jpg
Sonya

Louisville, Kentucky

Ooohh! He's just lovely, Sonya!
Thanks for sharing that photo!

-Eliza

theteddypatch The Teddy Patch/Bear Necessities

Does anyone have an idea what these types of stick bears are worth?  I have one I'd like to sell.  thanks.

Board footer