Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Penny's Penchants Penny's Penchants
Naicam, Saskatchewan

Quick question to all buyers and sellers out there.

What is your opinion of auctions that have the  bidder's User ID Kept Private?   bear_ermm

I have been posed the question of whether I would consider it (from one of my buyers) as they are concerned with some nosy people  :twisted:  rooting around in their feedback - re: how much their spending???? is my guess. 

As a fairly new seller I would like to know what others think - from both aspects.

Thanks folks.

Looking forward to your comments!

Penny

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Penny!  By that do you mean, doing a "private auction."  They have their pros and cons, for sure.  If you peek around eBay in our category, you'll find that many highly reputable bear makers selling privately, and many selling publicly!  How's that for an answer!?   bear_wacko   Honestly, as a seller, I tend to stick with the "public auctions."  But there are lots of valid reasons for doing "private" as well.  I think you have to do what YOU feel comfortable with as a seller Penny.  I think we have some past discussion threads on this very topic if you are interested in reading more about the pros and cons!  Let me see if I can find a few...

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=8979
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=2305

Kim Basta

Penny's Penchants Penny's Penchants
Naicam, Saskatchewan

Hi Kim!

Thanks so much for your reply and the links  - soooooo much information!   bear_wacko

I think I will remain "out in the open" - I am trying to build my reputation as being "creative & original" and hopefully entertaining at the least!  Shill bidding is just such a scam - if my bears go for the minimum so-be-it - someone will be tickled pink that they got it and if & when I'm not willing to let them go for that price I will handle the auctions differently.

I might dig around in eBay on the possibility of bidders being able to hide their feedback so the choice will be left up the bidder.

Your advice and communication is GREATLY APPRECIATED!   bear_thumb

I have to remember that I can use the SEARCH function for stuff like this as it has likely been covered (over and over) already! 

Take care Kim and talk to you again sometime!

Penny

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I often forget about the search function here too Penny.... no big deal!   bear_wub   Yes, buyers CAN make their feedback private... if your customer is really concerned about people knowing what she is buying, or what she is spending, that could certainly be an option for her.  Though obviously, from a Seller's point of view that looks a bit odd too!  However, even when a buyer has private feedback, you can still "see" their percent positive feedback number.  It's a sticky situation all around... you just have to do what you are comfortable with and what you think the vast majority of your buyers will be comfortable with. 

Kim Basta

Board footer