Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I've just run into my first bad eBay transaction, and I sure don't want to lose my 100% Feedback! I need to VENT!

I sold the last of my yarns on eBay last week, about 10 types, that I'd saved since my knitting days, fully intending to knit but my finger joints just won't allow it anymore.

There were 10 new skeins of Italian Wool Boucle yarns in one auction. It was basically a creamy white wool with slubs of grey, taupe/rose and brown randomly spun in. Paid for immediately on Fri and sent out Saturday. The Buyer wrote this AM to say this:

Hi Bobbie,
Thank you for f/back.

I got package today and very disappointed and frustrated. 

Here is what I bought: 10 skeins bulky boucle yarn.
Look what I got:

3 skeins: cream + light grey + light brown
4 skein:   cream + light grey + dark brown + light brown
2 skeins: cream +  light  grey + light brown + greenish
1 skein:   cream + dark grey + light brown

Being seller I would mention on listing the difference in the color just to avoid misrepresentation.

I'm hunting for 10 X  50 gr bulky boucle yarn for my project long time. I was happy I win.
I can not use this yarn.

Please let me know how you'd like to solve this .

L

I replied:

I am really sorry that you were disappointed! Thank you for writing to ask me about this.

I too noted the difference in shades, but the yarn was all purchased at the same time, is in the state in which I purchased it and the labels all have the same dye lot. I attributed the differences in shades to the spinning processes, where the slubs of different colors appeared randomly, so some had more of some of the grays or greens or browns.

I will be most happy to refund your purchase price, minus the shipping, if you would like to return them. Please don't expose them to cigarette smoke, as I'm highly allergic to this. I will leave your Feedback as it is as you are a very quick paying Buyer.

I don't want you unhappy with your purchase and will send back your payment after I receive the yarns.

Best Regards,
B

Another e tonight:

Bobbie,
I have clean, pet free, smoke free house.

Thank you for explicit reply. Not agree re tax and shippings.
It's your fault, you have let potential buyers know situation with colors. I should not pay off your misrepresentation.  I will never submit bit, never ever, would I know what I know now.
And, besides, just one skein weights  is 50 gr.
Here is weight the rest of skeins:
39 gr, 2X44 gr, 41gr, 2X48 gr,47 gr, 2X 44gr.

I need full refund: yarn cost, tax, shipping (to my address), shipping back (to your address).

L

Of course I'm going to refund the full amount. And pay to get them back. She got the 10 skeins for $12.53 and I took a loss on the shipping, underquoting on all 10 of the auctions!
I never weighed the individual skeins, just typed out what the labels said.
It's not worth the hassle for a few $$. I'll take them back and put them into the next Sal Army or Purple Heart pick-up. But I'm really PO'd and needed to vent!

OK, I feel a *tiny bit* better now, in just having told this to rational ppl.
I can write to her now and be civil. This is not the usual Me - I feel sick to my stomach but know that not everyone has the same outlook on Life.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Gee Bobbie - this person sounds really unreasonable.  She got 10 Skein for THAT ammount? What a bargain.  I would just try to keep her happy - and fingers crossed she doesn't leave you bad feedback - but gee - how unreasonable.  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:   I don't know what to say - but here's a hug!!  :hug:

Danni

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

If I paid twelve bucks for ten skeins of yarn I'd save myself the trip to the post office and keep the yarn for other projects!  I do realize some people have less flexibility in their budgets than I do, however, and a return might be the right way to proceed.  Still, the righteousness of your bidder surprises me.  You're clearly a seller of integrity and trying to make things right by her.

I think you're doing the absolute right thing in just deciding to eat the costs involved to preserve your feedback.  And I hate to say it, hun, but this is one of those times you might want to reserve leaving bidder feedback until after the WHOLE transaction has completed.  I say that not to reinvigorate the discussion of last week or to encourage you to hold your bidder "hostage."  Rather, I say this because even though YOU're doing the absolute right thing here with all your might, it seems like that might not, in the end, matter to someone who returns mail to you with the phrase IT'S YOUR FAULT underlined and in bold!

Someone like that who would rather feel robbed and victimized is maybe not the kind of person who's going to take a breath and say, "Gee, this was an honest misunderstanding, and the seller did everything possible to make it right.  The purchase didn't go as I had hoped, but the overall transaction was completed satisfactorily.  So... POSITIVE FEEDBACK for Bobbie!"

It's maybe more likely that someone this invested in being a victim will leave negative feedback simply because she felt ripped off, though no fault of your own.  She may, however, be disinclined to leave that negative feedback, if you haven't left feedback for her yet, yourself.

This is the exact situation I was referencing before in my comments about when I, personally, prefer to leave feedback.  I never want to hold my bidders hostage but I also don't want to leave myself open to unearned negative feedback that results from misunderstandings like this, where no matter what I might do, I'm at the mercy of the likes and dislikes of my buyer -- rational or otherwise.  I've been lucky so far, for which I'm so grateful.

Just some food for thought... with my friend Bobbie's best interests in mind.   bear_flower

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

BIG HUGS FOR YOU!!

suburban Chicago

D--- it now I hate myself; just scarfed down some cookie bars & a glass of milk that I ABSOLUTELY WASN'T going to do. NOW I've really got a stomach ache!! LOL

I've had almost 600 very positive transactions, with lovely ppl. Why is it that one can get under our skin so easily??? Besides the higher shipping (under 13 oz qualifies for First Class and then it kicks over into Priority) PayPal also took their 5% cut and then eBay listing fees... I think the 10 skeins went for about $6. I found it quirky about

hunting for 10 X  50 gr bulky boucle yarn for my project long time.

- it's not as if this is the yarn world's equation of a 1912 OOAK Steiff. How could anyone have been looking for exactly the # of skeins I had and the color I had??..  curious .... 
Funny, too; it's the one auction that ended up about 20 miles from me....

I'll still leave F/bk as soon as someone pays as it makes me feel good to acknowledge that immediacy on their part. 

Sorry if this looked like an attempt to refresh an old thread - I too had computer and printer probs and didn't check out the TT topics very thoroughly. Apologies all 'round! Not my intent.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

rkr4cds wrote:

Sorry if this looked like an attempt to refresh an old thread - I too had computer and printer probs and didn't check out the TT topics very thoroughly. Apologies all 'round! Not my intent.

Didn't at all, Bobbie!  I was saying, I hope MY comments don't reinvigorate that thread, which wasn't my intent, either. I was just feeling protective of you.  You were clearly just wanting to share.

I applaud your integrity, doing business in ways that feel right to you even if it leaves you in a scary position.  I hope everything works out well!  Do keep us posted.

Liked the 1912 Steiff comment, by the way... bear_original

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Holy Smokes is right bear_tongue  bear_grin Giving you the "actual" weight of each brand new unused package of yarn?  If it's brand new yarn and the packaging says 50 gr...she's just picking at strings (literally) to make her point of wanting a refund. 

I'd do the same thing....give the full refund to and let this one go...BUT put a full out disclosure on all future listings about weight, color variances, and why the sky is blue bear_whistle  bear_grin  (no sleep lately...feeling punchy... bear_laugh )

:hug:
~Chrissi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

SOME PEOPLE!
What can I say?
I'd be steaming too!
Some people like to nit-pick to a fault.
When she buys yarn at a shop I wonder if she takes it home and weighs it then goes back to the store demanding that she be refunded 13.5 cents because it didn't quite weigh what the packaging said.
This is one person you are never going to please. Just do your best to resolve the issue and move on. $12 bucks isn't worth a tummy ache! (But I'd have done the same thing!)
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Daphne wrote:

When she buys yarn at a shop I wonder if she takes it home and weighs it then goes back to the store demanding that she be refunded 13.5 cents because it didn't quite weigh what the packaging said.

Ha!  bear_laugh

suburban Chicago

Thx - you've renewed my faith in humanity!!! I didn't think I was that far off the mark, but....

ARRRRGGGHHH ..... just got the return post. I'm about to hit the kitchen again!!! My address is clearly marked on her mailed box, but as she's so close, I gave her my PO number. Just got a Prickly feeling about repeating my street address. and her question is?????

OK.
What address for yarn return?
Ludmila

Bobbie <rkr4cds@comcast.net> wrote:
I will refund you $16.53.
I took a loss on the shipping to you as the package is over 13 ounces
and did not qualify for First Class and had to be sent Priority.
I have added $4 for priority return shipping, making $20.53, to be
sent after the return the yarn.

Bobbie

Creative Design Studio
P O Box 1381
Elmhurst IL

I think I'm going to bed with my good book now  - no, Not THAT Good Book (Bible) - the excellent murder mystery!!

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

Bobbie, dont take this to heart. I have had neg feedback from buyers the didnt pay me! Ha..what a joke that was!  This was before the times when you could have the feedback removed and I just had to suck it up, but it is VERY frusterating!

You just need to realize that there are some people, no matter what you do,  you will never ever be able to please them! This gal sounds like one of those people!

Best of luck to you

Bear Hugs,

Kim

sarahjane Brisbane

Best of luck Bobbie....You just can't please some people. I think you are doing the right thing by trying to preserve your feedback but if she does end up leaving you a neg......Don't worry about it all your other positive transactions should offset that!!!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Bobbie :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Hope tomorrow brings you joy & the sunshine you deserve!!!

Hugs &

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awwww Bobbie,

There is no such thing as bad fabric or bad yarn-there is always the next project that something will be perfect for.  I am sorry you met up with someone who deosn't play nicely in the sandbox....some people can be so unreasonable, and others will out right lie.

I think you are a really great stand up gal to refund everything!

Talk about going above and beyond for a nasty buyer....your are tops in my e-bay book

Sweet dreams-you did the very best you could-no one could have done better

hugs
dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You absolutely took the high road on this situation, Bobbie.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

That customer would be unreasonable no matter what they bought. I have received stuff that I wasnt quite 100% happy with but hey? you cant expect more when you are relying on photographs. Since each monitor shows the photos differently.  For such a small amount  $12. I figure this person is a serial complainer.
If there was any generosity in her at all she would shrug it off and give the wool to a friend or charity or save it for another project. Which is what I would do.
I'm really dreading this type of customer coming my way.
I'm sorry Bobbie she has crapped out your day. You know we all empathise with you. Here at TT you are loved respected and trusted.
If she does give you a bad comment on Ebay, it will be so out of the norm that buyers wont pay attention to it.
True!! because I have come across one bad vindictive comment among 100's of others that were full of praise. The vindictive comment is seen as exactly what it is.
Take care Possum  :hug: Wendy

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Bobby- what is the saying in business "The customer is always right"
bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry
We must have been on the same wavelength as I received a complaint( a very very rude email) about a felted needle kit I sold recently- and it left me feeling like I had been kicked in the stomach- I was actually going to post it here on TT-
To resolve my problem, I also offered to refund the purchase but also "tongue in cheek" said she should come for a needle felting class" as then perhas it would make the kit more understandable- to my surprise she took me up on the offer.

But Bobby back to you- chin up, if anyone can offer a good service its you-but you cannot please everyone unfortunately.
one big hug coming to you from my side of the world.

Lynette

bumblebearies Bumblebearies
Calgary, Alberta
Website

Knowing me... by now I would tell her to shove it where the sun don't shine ...

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

How absolutely awful for you Bobby but try not to let it get you down. There will always be a few nasty people just waiting to see what they can moan about, they look out for it constantly - they actually thrive on it.  You have to remember that probably out of 1000 people it may only be one that is awkward and the other 999 will be nice.

It is a shame it has happened to somebody who is as nice a person and as helpful as you are.

Warm wishes
Pauline

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Just imagine living in her world...what a miserable existence she must have.

Hugs,
Marion

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

ahhh, bless you, i too would need to vent, seems this buyer, is uptight, maybe they should try some bear making to chill them out, either that or send them a telepathic slap for being so snotty to you x
hope that this nasty piece of work doesnt ruin a perfect ebay feedback rating, as if youre anything like me you treasure yours.
hope it works out in the end, seems like she had a problem before she even contacted you and there was nothing you could do to avoid the fallout x
take care xxxxxxxxxxx

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Bobbie!  Big hugz to ya.... :hug:   yes, that is very frustrating and I think you did the right thing all the way around. 

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales

I've bought items, that were not quite the colour expected, I know that happens with different computers and that's the breaks.

I just can't imagine weighing each skein, what a freak.  :lol:
When I buy from anyone, I read their feedback, if they have a couple of neg, on a mostly positive feedback, I read why. You can usually tell if it's a difficult (unfair)customer.

You have the right to reply to feedback, if she replies with neg, make sure you respond and say how you went out of your way to please her.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Bobbie: You did the right thing...Just eat the cost of shipping and refund the money. Listen, there are always going to be difficult people in this world. This will not be your first or last time in this type of situation.

Shelley Kooterboocubs
Brighton

Bobbie we are here for you to vent to. I think most of us can sympathize with what you are going thru. Just remember this YOU ARE the BETTER PERSON. You did what you feel is the right thing to do and Our Lord is THANKING YOU for being the better person bear_innocent !!! DONT let this get you down. Your talent speaks for itself and You are way to nice of a person to let this get to ya!!!  Have a WONDERFUL day bear_flower  Cubby Hugs, Shelley

Board footer