Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Hey everyone! 

I'm having a problem with Needle sculpting. When I needle sculpt "Toes" onto a bear I start with a long piece of thread and push it in the leg and out the other side and back in the same hole, But them push it out a new place to Anchor it, I do it about 10 times. I then Pull the toes into shape and do the same as what I did to start with to anchor it again... I seem to always get lumpy legs after I've finished. No amount of Reworking the bear with my hands evens it out... What Am I doing wrong!? 

Second question, When you needle sculpt, Your mussle's to make them more indent by the eyes, Who big a stitch  do you take before pushing through the other side and pulling it tight? I would be scared it would pop the fabric as there is alot of pressure on it. Alsoooo People who pluck there mussles, Aren't the stitches Visible!? 

One last question! I should know this by now but shame on me!  (Insert Embarrassed smiley) Do you just exit at the back of the neck and knot it? .. I'm confused as you will have a knot kinda Visible.

I make minis so Everything is awfully noticable and It's Getting me angry not knowing how to do it... Mini Cry for help!

Richy~

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

I can help you a bit with the needle sculpting of the face. I come infrom under the chin as close to the joint as possible and take a small stitch. I then put my needle back through this spot up to where my eye is to be placed just off one side of the seam. depending on the size of the bear i take a stitch about 2 -3mm across the seam and out at the opposite eye on the other side of the seam. I then go back across this eyes seam and back out to the first eyes spot. Holding the eye area to support it i then pull the area in. I then repeat this till i am happy with the depth of mussel between the two eyes. The important thing is to push and support as you are pulling it tight. When i happy I then come back out to the spot under the chin, do another small stitch then insert the needle back into the spot and out somewhere else where I pull the ends till i feel the stitch lose itself into the fabric, then cut the ends off. If I want my eyes to be deeper back, i take the ending stitch as described but then come out at the back of the head near the joint, take another very small stitch. i then go back in and up to my eye. take a small stitch across in the same spot as before then back to the back of the head. Holding firm to the eye socket area i pull firm. take another stitch and go up to the other eye and repeat the process, then end off as described previously.

If you go back in the same hole as the very small stitch when you pull it into the fabric it shouldn't be noticeable. It shouldn't matter if you pluck a mussel or not as the stitches you made are hidden behind your eye.

As far as the foot pads are concerned i haven't mastered it enough to be happy with my results  bear_sad however I definitely don't get what you described. I don't think you should need to go in and out as many times as you described. 

I hope this helps. bear_original rose_anna_2.jpg

anne-marie

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Hi Richy
In one of the online TBCI mags, they have a good tutorial on toes. I hope it helps!
http://editions.pagesuite.co.uk//PageSu … ch%202007/
It's on page 72 ( I tried to link right to that page but....no can do!)
Cheryl bear_flower

Board footer