Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

When I resize a picture and put in on the internet, it doesn't seem to come out the same as it looks in my photo program.  It usually is much smaller (or larger) and looks darker.  When I resize, I change the resolution and change the size using inches.  Does this sound right?  Anyone have an idea why this happens?  I usually go back and forth posting and resizing until I get close to the size I want.  Do you have to make the picture lighter on the photo program (I'm using Paint Shop Pro, but just got Photoshop.)?   bear_tongue

sarahjane Brisbane

I find that for some reason when I am posting photos on the internet I have to make them lighter than I think they need to be because once I save them then view them on my screen they look darker and I usually resize mine to about 600 pixels in height which seems to be about 8x6 inches. this seems to display about right on my screen anyway.

Once you find a size that you like take note of the size you used and use the same size for everything.... bear_original

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thank you, Sarah-Jane!  I'll try your method.  Do you know if there is a way to preview the way the picture will actually appear before putting it on the internet?

sarahjane Brisbane

Elle if you save the picture on to your computer in a folder...I usually use my pictures or my documents or something like that. Then when you click on it to open it it should open up in a new window and be about the same size etc as when it is in your browser....Hope this helps... bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Ellen, I use photo shop, but also have paint shop pro and use it as well. I do any editing I need to do on photo shop (changing gamma, etc) then save it, then I will open it in paint shop pro, and resize it. I keep it at 300 dpi, then change the size in pixels to usually 400 wide by 600 high which looks quite small on the screen. I save it, then go to the folder I saved it in, I open it and it opens in Microsoft Photo Editor. I select resize, then select ok. (it doesn't change the size. Now I save again and it saves it in a size that is good for the web. Instead of a 200K or more file, I now have a 50-60K file. And I haven't lost resolution. The picture looks great on the web. I also can do the same thing in Phpto Shop by choosing "save for web" and selecting about a 75% file size. It saves it smaller than 100k (opens faster on the web) and you still have the original file as well if you save in another folder. I haven't had a problem with it looking too dark. If you save several times in paintshop pro, you will be losing something everytime and it won't look as nice on the web. It has something to do with the jpg format which has loses every time it is saved.

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Thank you, Sarah-Jane and Sonya!  bear_grin  I wrote down all your tips so I can refer to them.   bear_flower

Board footer