Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, folks!  I buy my Prismacolor markers at an online place called Carpe Diem Store because they are so much cheaper there than anywhere I've found.  I needed to replace some and was browsing just a few minutes ago.  They have a new kind of marker that I've never seen before and it looks really neat.  Here's the link:

http://www.carpediemstore.com/listCateg … tegory=557   

I may try some of them to see how they compare to Prismacolor.  They're more expensive, but then they have a lot more features.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Their color system is much like that in a graphic design or photo editing software program. Very interesting!!
300 colors! :doh: How cool and how tough to choose!

I'm going to keep my eye out for these at my local fine arts supply store and try a couple!

Thanks for sharing the info, Sue Ann! If you get some let us know what you think!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I have seen the tria makers before, but just stuck with the prisma markers.  Mainly it was a cost factor and the few times I came across them I couldn't find the colours I wanted.
Let us know how they work out for you.

I always had trouble getting the colorless blender to work.  I never figured that one out. Help?

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I have been using Tria markers for years for shading my mini bears but they are different from the ones on this web site! I wonder if that means they have changed the markers??? or can another company use the same name "Tria"???? Mine are made in England, but I didn't see anything that said where these new ones are made.  I think I would like my old ones better for shading minis as it looks like they have a finer tip - they have the chisel tip at one end and the other end has what would be the smallest tip on these new ones and then a REALLY fine tip above that. I love the blender that goes with them - works great on most fabrics although I have found the odd one that it doesn't work so well on. I use it mainly like an eraser if I get too much colour where I don't want it!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Very cool find Sue Ann. bear_thumb

Jared, the colorless blender is really nothing but a pen filled with ink solvent.
If you have several colors layered you can use the pen to blend them smoothly, blending one color into the next for a feathered look.... to get a sort-of airbrushed effect.
You can also use it as an 'eraser' to a certain degree.    If you put a little too much ink down and you want to lighten it a bit you can lay on the blender pen and you can almost get rid of the ink ...not completely but enough where you can redo the area.  It can save a bear. bear_thumb

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

Ooh....Thanks for bringing these our attention Sue Ann...They look like they would be very nice to use.  Let us know how they work for you if you end you buying some...I'll have to look for them up here or at an online store that ships to Canada...

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Sue Ann, if you decide to give them a try,  please give us a critique.
:hug: ~ Kathy

NiokaBears Nioka Bears

I don't know about the Tria markers BUT I have been using Copic markers for years. I did try the Prisma ones BUT found 2 things. a) They seem to get empty rather quickly compared to the Copic and b) They dry out a lot faster then the Copic ones....When I stopped making bears for a few years, I never touched my Copic markers until I started again and they were still as good as the last day I used them! I don't know if I just had a bad or old batch of the Prisma ones or what BUT cheaper or not then the Copic ones, I did not find them good value! Anyone else have problems with the Prisma pens??

Just curious! LOL!
HUGS,
Christine

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

This is great that we addressed this again, Thx Christine for reminding me. I've got to have all of the tools bear_original
After seeing your post Sue Ann, I ordered as I needed more anyway and the Tria's aren't available locally, though Copic & Prismacolor are. They arrived last week.
Anyone who's worked with me knows how much I LV P's SEPIA / PM-62 because it goes with every fabric & wool color and looks like natural shadowing,. No matter whatever colors I also add, every bear for the past 10 years has had P's Sepia in the natural creases.
As I've had  pens around for this long, I have only a few that have actually gone dry. I went with Copic's Colorless Blender over P's because of the refillability. Guess what I just found with the newest supply of P's blenders???
Prismacolor.jpg
P now has a slit formed alongside the broad nib and can be refilled along this spot! This is exciting because I do use the Copic refills!
And in the Tria system, the broad nib side (of the 3 choices of ends) is rectangular in a round base so that they can also be refilled!
And Tria's #O615 is the same shade as my fave P's Sepia and it erases/blends out just as well.
So, all 3 pen brands can be refilled with Copic shades: Prismacolor sells 'empty' markers so you can fill it with any color or make your own custom blend. This is great. We're finally being offered options that are not becoming obsolete and filling the landfills with one more small item x millions from artists.

It has been my experience that (every shade that I've used) will erase completely - except Black, which just smudges into a gray mess. We all know how much pigment is thrown into black to make it black. I hate to have to admit this because it makes me sound like a complete slob, but I was teaching a German class (our own Berta H-M was there) and was rattled enough with the language translations that I'd forgotten a few things, one of them being a rag scrap to wipe my marker nibs off after use.

I have a favorite very very light tan shirt (3 of the same actually, I buy several when I find a nice item)  of cotton/linen. I turned up the corner at the bottom of the button placket and wiped the nib off there. Not only did the small amount of deposit completely disappear as it quickly dried but it did not change (bleach) the color out of my shirt!! I now do it all the time and it's become a class joke!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Glad this thread has been re-introduced.  I did buy three of the Tria markers in colors that were slightly different from some of the Prismas I was using.  I do need to insert here that I'm very partial to Prisma's sepia color, also, just like Bobbie and use it often.  I haven't used the Trias enough to really compare yet, but I very much liked the option of three different tips and loved the one that Prisma doesn't have.  It's like a paintbrush with a very fine point.  Another asset for the Tria was that it is refillable, but now that Prisma offers that option, it doesn't matter.  As I use the Trias more, I'll report again, but with just my limited use of them, they compare very favorably with Prisma.  I've never used Copic, so can't offer an opinion on those.

Board footer