Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

Hi all,

Do any of you know how on earth I'd make a monkey? Now, I've made lots of bears of course and I've designed my own elephant but I have absolutely NO idea where I start with a monkey!! Has anyone ever made a monkey with a 3 piece head pattern like a bear (shorter nose etc obviously!)? I know what to do with the body and limbs but I just can't seem to work out how I make a monkey looking face! Any ideas or suggestions?

If not, does anyone know of a monkey pattern anywhere (no bigger than 8" if possible)? My god mother has asked me to make a monkey and I really don't know where to start!

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

Well If it was me, I'd go for a 3 peice head. A circle shaped face and to side peices to give it some roundness at the back. If you wanted to go for a traditional gusset way, a very short nose and an extreamly wide gusset . I believe there noses are quite high too compared with bears....

I'm sure you already know this but thought i'd add too it.

Alternativly, since I know you're quite fabulous at needle felting, why don't you do the first was I explained and needle felt the face features on?

Hugs,

Richy~

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I have a book called Constructing Teddy and his Friends by Jennifer Laing. I have used this as an inspiration and guide a few times. There is a pattern for a monkey in it. The directions say it makes a 7 inch animal. The head has 3 pieces, 2 for the main part, and one for an insert that is the face. it looks complicated, but the book says it looks more complicated than it is.

Hope that helps! PM or email me if you want more information.
pandamac

lulubears Posts: 280

I was going to suggest the monkey pattern by Jennifer Laing as well.  I does look much harder than it is, but it really goes together as easily as a bear does.  You can really change it up a lot with needle-sculpting, toes, etc.  I've made a couple of them, and each one is more fun than the one before.

Luann

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

You can also get pictures of monkeys and study them to see how their heads are shaped.  When I am trying to make a new design that I don't have a solid ideea of how makeit, I go to the internet and hunt down pictures of the animal that I am trying to make.  I get head shots, full body, and pictures from as many possilbe angles and study and use them as my guides.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Gemma, I was going to say felt the face too. If your pattern has a flat  face and you cut the fur down to the backing in the face area you can felt right into fabric with great results.
IMG_2317.JPG

I have not done a monkey this way but I did make a a little fantasy child/animal I call a Furbaby this way. It works great on mohair but I taught this as a class to my dollmakers guild and they all used synthetic with great results too.
Here is a picture of Furbaby.
IMG_2321.JPG

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

WOW! Tami, love that Furbaby :hug:  :dance:  :dance:

NiokaBears Nioka Bears

Wow...yes....I love that furbaby too tami...great stuff!

Board footer