Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I import and sell the Wizpick range of felting needles in South Africa- these are already colour coded which makes teaching with them easy.I also sell the Foster needles.
The Foster needles are of course to look at all the same especially as a beginner so here in TT and other places people have suggested ways of identifying them.

For some time now I have been thinking of using beads but never got round to it. So this morning I took a red and a yellow wooden bead and pushed it over the top. It fits snugly and with a bit of glue will stay in place. I would imagine you could use any kind of bead that fits snugly.

For using needles as replacements in felting tools i.e. clover felting tool- here you would need a "clean" needle.

I have to now felt with them to see how they all fit together so far I cannot see any reason why this method can not be used- pink bead for size X, blue Bead for size Y and so on.

Off to try them out

Lynette

beaded_needle.jpg

needle_felting_top.jpg

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Lynette! What a brilliant solution! Quick, ready-to-use, easily found everywhere, inexpensive and no extra purchased supplies left-over. Yarn & tape wrapped around the crank point, along with rubber bands and all sort of other easily found things have been used but this is such a good idea.

The cranks (bent end) of Foster needles are all the same size so if ppl take a needle to the shops with them, finding one style that fits well will fit all of their  Foster needles. Just pick different colors - and WRITE DOWN which color is put onto which size & style. You WILL forget in the beginning - ask me how I know!!

Thx again Lynette for your great idea!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Great idea, but it may not work for all customers...
For example, i use a wooden handle to handle my needles (ne at a time, of course).
With a bead placed on it, i could not use the wooden handle anymore.

Hummm, i am not a big needlefelter, though... It depends on the majority of people and their habits...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

suburban Chicago

Right Sophie, this is just an alternative for those that find the round knobs still to cumbersome, or the side-by-side metal needle holders too heavy.

It's just an inexpensive way to color-code the needles, for those that tend to hold the top/crank bwteen thumb & forefinger. Which puts a nice deep 'L' shaped dent into those 2 fingers! It also makes you use your wrist more which can lead toward RSS.

When I get back from an appt in a bit, I'll post pix of my hold - I use my whole forearm and my fingers & wrist are not impacted. It's a very light touch-hold and easy to relax while needling.

This would have helped me a few weeks ago (saved me some time & materials) when I formed the tops of Model Magic around 6 dozen needles I need for students in the next 2 weeks! They could remove the beads after class and put their own choice of top markings on.

Oh, I found them right away (bless 'Spotlight' on this Mac!!)

In the beginning I plunge the needle all the way through the fiber and into the foam while rotating the mass, to getfiber from all sides of the mass to interact within the form. After the initial stages of deep thrusting, then I switch to this for the rest of the time (the week!)

Needle lays along my middle finger, the top stays in the crook of my index finger:

Hold1..72.jpg

Lightly hold shaft in place with thumb:

Hold2...72.jpg

My middle finger's tip is held just above the top barb:

hold_3.jpg

When the tip of my finger hits the fiber I know all of the barbs are 'in action' inside the mass:

Hold3...72.jpg

Grin and Grimace Pasadena, CA

bear_thumb Wow! Great idea about the beads! I was using masking tape and a sharpie. Sharpies are NOT as permanet as they claim.

Bobbie, I'll have to try your holding method. So far I use the index/middle finger grip. No trouble yet, I'm wondering if I will have the same control with your method. Sort of a chop stick hold. I'll have to try! Looks like your hold may result in less broken needles.

By the way, really great photos.

Stacey

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

mm so the brain does still have some cells in it that work bear_grin  bear_grin

Bobby thanks for posting how to "hold the needle" I must check and see how I do it. Normally just pick up and felt without taking much notice. Sure if you start correctly you will get into the right habit.

Sophie- this is just to help identify the needles- in the beginning one cannot tell what is a 36S or a 40T- well I was very confused till I understood a bit more. If you are using a wooden knob, or any other kind of holder then you will not be able to use this method.
Its thanks to TT, people like Judi,Bobbie and others that has helped my knowledge of needle felting grow.

Lynette

suburban Chicago

Oh Stacey, Sharpies are awful in bearmaking: they bleed into other areas when used to mark patterns/fabric, they turn purple/red after a while, they can be rubbed off (as you found with the tape.) They will stay on the Model Magic tops OK, so it's good to use them in the beginning. But developing a color-coded system like the others already mentioned eliminate the need to mark each needle.

Lynette, I used this hold right from the beginning, due to the very reason I had to give up hand-sewing: squeezing the fabric & needle for all of those sts really inflamed the arthritis in the joints. This is a very soft, light touch to hold the needle in place, I get complete accuracy of where each thrust goes and the bending movements are about equal in my wrist and elbow, (and sometimes shoulder) so no one joint is impacted too much.

It is sort of chopstick-like, except my index finger doesn't curl down to touch the neeedle or other fingers very often.

On the pix - notice that it's my left hand? Totally set-up job!!
I tried holding the needle in my right hand and manipulating the camera with the left (and that one was on a tripod as oppposed to my new Cascio that I can use free-hand) but just couldn't do it. So I switched needle hands....

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

OMGoddess I realized today that I hold the needle just like your Pics Bobbie!!! Awesome!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I had to go home and try felting to see how I hold the needle - same as Bobbie!! bear_grin  must be doing something right!

Marion

suburban Chicago

Thx, girls!! It must be instinctive with some of us!
If you have a needle w/no top, try holding that crank end pinched between thumb & forefinger and needle w/it.
When I do that, it's all wrist action and I can't do it for long, and I don't even have wrist problems!
Plus the ends of my thumb & finger have gone numb and that 'L' dent in both lasts for hours afterwards....

Board footer