Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

HI Everyone

I've been busy for a while but something has come up that I thought you might all be able to thelp me with. At shows I'm constantly being stopped and asled "How do I price my bears.....I'm just starting out?"

Now many years ago......like 15..........when I started I added up all my materials then added some for my time......or maybe not because I was desperate to sell.......... bear_grin  And went from there.

However I see some selling on ebay that mustn't even recover costs.........any comments on how you can rmember pricing when you started off?

Do you price differently for ebay to shows?

Comments, ideas, suggestions, objections all welcome.

sarahjane Brisbane

Hi Sandra!!

I don't think I'm much help with this but I thought I'd let you know that it sounds like my pricing is much like yours was when you started.....Cost of material + a little for my time...I keep hoping that if I list long enough on ebay eventually I'll start getting better prices.  bear_original

As I haven't done any shows I can't answer that one!!  I do think that for selling on ebay it pays to do some research and have a look at what other bears in the size you are making are starting at.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

At the risk of getting reprimanded for recommending a GREAT FEATURE here on TT may I highly suggest you check out the library for threads on this exact topic? See the smiley waving to you right above your first post? Click the drop down menu and you'll find "pricing"!

Of course there are always new people joining who are more than welcome to share their thoughts on the subject here but having the additional input of current and past members can also be very helpful!
bear_original

I don't think you can compare the pricing on eBay with pricing at shows. There are too many variables and inconsistencies to base much of anything on eBay sales.... in my opinion of course. Quite often the show collectors aren't eBay collectors thus have no idea what's going on there anyway! Hmmm... think I'll poll some of my show attendees at my Aug. 11 show and see how many buy bears on eBay too. That will be interesting to know......

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

If they buy at shows they usually don't buy on eBay and if they buy on eBay thaty don't a thing about Teddy Bear Shows.  That is the general rule of thumb.

There was an industry standard that is good to use as a starting point.  $10.00 per inch.  So a 10 inch bear should be somewhere around $100.  You can go up or down from there as you figure your other costs.  Some artists sell 10" bears for 95 and other $150.  It all depends upon your material costs, your time, your name (recognition/reputation), and what the market will bear (no pun intended).

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

There was an industry standard that is good to use as a starting point.  $10.00 per inch.  So a 10 inch bear should be somewhere around $100.

Good as a starting point for larger bears but sure won't work for minis!  bear_grin A 1" mini for $10.00!!!  bear_grin

I hate pricing bears - which is exactly what I am doing right now for the Calgary Bear Show (okay supposed to be doing - as soon as I get off here!  bear_grin ). If I really like the bear and don't really want to part with it the price usually ends up being higher. Cost of materials isn't so much a factor with minis - time can be to a certain extent. I usually end up lining them all up and saying if this one is X amount of money, this one should be a little higher and this one a little lower, etc. Not very scientific, I know!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
edie wrote:

There was an industry standard that is good to use as a starting point.  $10.00 per inch.  So a 10 inch bear should be somewhere around $100.

Good as a starting point for larger bears but sure won't work for minis!  bear_grin A 1" mini for $10.00!!!  bear_grin

I hate pricing bears - which is exactly what I am doing right now for the Calgary Bear Show (okay supposed to be doing - as soon as I get off here!  bear_grin ). If I really like the bear and don't really want to part with it the price usually ends up being higher. Cost of materials isn't so much a factor with minis - time can be to a certain extent. I usually end up lining them all up and saying if this one is X amount of money, this one should be a little higher and this one a little lower, etc. Not very scientific, I know!

Yes Edie, your bears are worth much more than $30 or $40 !!!!

I am also trying to price my bears this weekend and it's tough. I'm using the same method as you though because some of my bears are older and I think aren't as good so I can't possibly as for as much money as my 'best' work.

But it's tough and a totally personal thing. Guess I'm no help at all!  :crackup:

Board footer