Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Bamboo1.jpgHi all,
Just finished the only bear I have made this summer.  He is made with a 36-piece pattern I purchased from one of my favorite teddy artists.  Not sure she wants me to mention her name so I won't do that unless she tells me otherwise.............  I used my own limb patterns.  (Whoopie.)  I could never in my life have developed such an awesome pattern as this one is.  It incorporates some techniques I have never used before.  Double neck joint...... Armatures......  I also used Tami Eveslage's trapunto technique on the paw pads.  Another first.  Boy, is that ever time-consuming.  But its fun and I am happy with the end results.  I used actual photos of bear paws to create the outline.......... I learned something about armatures on this bear - don't stuff the limbs too firmly or the armatures won't work!!!  So I need to give credit here for the great tips and techniques shown on TeddyTalk by Tami Eveslage, Daphne and her wonderful trapunto photo tutorial, and Judi and her photos on using armatures!  Judi, I was clueless on armatures until I saw your photos.  Thank you!!!  Anyway, here's my bear. And now I am asking for opinions.  I would like to airbrush - especially the paw pads where the stitching shows...........  But!!  Of course I am afraid of ruining him since I am not the world's greatest airbrusher, and I am not sure he really needs it.  Does he need airbrushing?  Let me know your thoughts!

P1010207_900x760.jpg

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Lovely bear!! You have done a wonderful job as usual with the face, especially the nose.  :clap: The paws look nice and I think they would really pop out if you shaded them with air-brushing. If you are not comfortable doing that I know that a lot of folks shade the paws with special markers. I haven't done this much but I'm sure that there is a Teddy Talker who would share what brand to use etc.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Oh my gosh!  I think you did a wonderful job on this bear - 36 pieces???  I just fell in the floor.  The double jointed neck is really neat.  That's one technique I'd like to learn.  I also love your paw pads.

Hugs,
Lisa

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

Connie, he turned out FABULOUS! You did a wonderful job on him!
I do think some airbrushing would make him "pop" and bring out his character just that much more. If you dont feel comfortable airbrushing, try dry brushing! Load up your brush with some paint and run it arcoss a piece of paper until the paint is almost completely gone and it is only a faint showing of color. Then brush around the paw pads...its a nice way to have total control of where your paint ends up.
I love the trapunto paw pads...its nice added touch!

Bear Hugs,

Kim

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

36 pieces?  Egad!!!  Regardless of who designed the pattern......you did a fabulous job!!  And you're so adventurous learning new techniques!!  Good for you!!!  bear_flower

I like airbrushed bears....so I'd say airbrush him.  Besides, you've gone all out with all the new techniques!!  However, if you don't feel you're so good at it....airbrush a few cheap store bought bears until you feel more comfortable with it.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

He looks great.  terrific job.  I'm having enough trouble with 19 pieces but 36 WOW!

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

With Connie's permission, I am adding a photo of the Bamboo I made from this pattern. I designed this pattern several years ago and was thrilled to share it with Connie!
I think its so much fun to see how artist interpret things a little bit differently or how a slight adjustment in ones technique can alter a bear.

Thanks Connie for sharing your finished panda!

Bear hugs,

Kim
bamboo5.jpg

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to post!  I did go ahead and airbrush last night - just very slightly on the face - and more on the pads.  Airbrushing does add such a nice dimension to teddy bears.......  Kim, thanks for posting your photos.  Funny that they are the same pattern and yet so different.  I think yours looks much more like a real bear and mine is more of a teddy bear look.  We should do a challenge here on TeddyTalk where everyone starts with the same pattern.  That would be fun to see all the creative differences!  Anyway, here's my newly airbrushed fellow!

P1010208_Large_e-mail_view.jpg

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oooh i was thinking how could airbrushin improve that bear?
But now I have seen it it looks finished.  Nice really nice.

Board footer